• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What's the weather like where you are?

Garden thermometer this morning says -8* at 8.00 this morning; and there's still about an inch of snow on the ground, from Sunday.
And this is in the Severn Valley; so gods know what it's like up on the hills.

Freezing cold where I am in Herts still. Go out walking and the pavements are very slippery and so find it safer to walk on the roads with the traffic facing me, then jump back on the pavement when I see a car.

-7 when I got in the car this morning,
The walk from the car park to my office almost claimed my fingers

Garden thermometer this morning says -8* at 8.00 this morning; and there's still about an inch of snow on the ground, from Sunday.
-8 on drive, -10.5 by the time I was at work....

6-7 weeks ago, it was 18-20*c and I was still in shorts and short-sleeves.
Now, I think this is the coldest since the Beast from the East in March 2013 (IIRC).

Quite the change

Wearing my mask 😷 outside to protect my face from the bitterness of the wind chill factor. But just end up getting condensation from my breath on my eye lids. 🙄 Am afraid if I stay out any longer they will freeze like icicles 🥶

3_Bus-in-Old-Bath-Roadjfif.jpg

When I was young I used to help my dad on a rural milk round. He used to go out in all weather, including deep snow. He'd load the back of the rear wheel drive pickup with concrete blocks and off we'd go. We'd still be delivering milk at 4pm after spending most the day stuck, and he even used to attempt steep hills with a run-up, if we didn't get to the top he'd slide back down in the ditch!

When I reached my early teens I'd follow him in the tractor and pull him up/down hills and when he got stuck. Still slow going and cold, but a little better.

Thing is most people could have managed without milk for a couple of days!

This was one of the hills I remember him attempting a few times, there's a hairpin bend at the top too. Rarely got to the top 🙃

Screenshot_20221215-204417_Maps.jpg

Last edited:
Why can't it be 22/23 degrees c all the time? 😩. Too hot and it gives me nose bleeds and too cold and it's like an ice skating rink out on the pavements and roads and I hate slipping over.

Still, sometimes it brings up stunning stuff like this:

Bloody lethal out there - first temperature over 0* all week, so there's the thinnest layer of meltwater on top of packed ice.
I may have fallen on my arse as I had to side-step to avoid someone coming the other way around a corner on my home from work.

Beginning to thaw where I am. Snow and ice starting to turn to slush. But dangerous once it freezes again overnight and turns to black ice.

Garden thermometer now says +14* at 8.30 this morning - this is insane!

Latest posts