Where have all the followers gone? Grounds for concern in Premiership

Teh Mite

TRF Legend
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Northampton
It is too early to panic. September is always a month of colliding priorities. But what exactly has happened to Premiership crowds? Take away Northampton's Friday night gate of 13,491 and the average attendance for the elite tier of English club rugby at the weekend was in the region of 6,500. London Irish's crowd of 8,267 was lower than anything they attracted for a league game last season. The empty seats at Wasps for the high-profile visit of Leicester told a similarly downbeat story.
The previous weekend, you may recall, Saracens could tempt only 6,087 souls to Watford for their game against Sale. Newcastle attracted barely 5,000 for the visit of Wasps and even Gloucester have recorded their lowest regular season gate for five years. Only a few short weeks ago, Premier Rugby was restating its ambition to attract higher average gates than football's Championship by 2015. That goal suddenly seems a long way off.
Why? It did not appear to be an issue when 75,000 attended the London double-header earlier this month, basking in the feelgood glow of an exciting new season. That occasion now appears to have been the exception to the recessionary rule. People have less spare cash and are being increasingly choosy where they spend it. The early signs suggest they are saving up for a handful of big games each year, rather than splashing out every week.
Other factors, though, seem to be intruding. Some clubs feel that the increasing variance in kick-off times is having an effect. Anyone who has tried to travel any significant distance in England by car on a Friday night lately can certainly testify to the difficulty of following a team home and away. Others prefer to watch their rugby at 3pm on a Saturday and cannot commit to doing the same on a Friday or a Sunday, particularly if the game in question can be viewed from their own sofa.
That, I think, is the biggest single issue the authorities need to ponder. It is clearly not cheap to subscribe to Sky and ESPN but those who can afford it have the luxury of a wider choice of rugby than ever before. Want to see how Jonny Wilkinson is going? Tune in to Toulon's game against Bourgoin live this Friday. The Aviva Premiership and the Magners League? You can now watch up to half a dozen live games per weekend should you wish.
Both the Wasps-Leicester and Irish-Gloucester games were screened in full, the coverage superb. If you have a family of four it makes it increasingly tempting to press the Sky+ button, free up an afternoon and go for a kickabout in the park, rather than driving 200 miles and coughing up large sums of money to attend in person. Talking about it online is cheap and fun, too…
It has left clubs facing a genuine dilemma. Television companies clearly giveth but they also taketh away. In a bid to balance the books even new Premiership teams such as Exeter have posted ticket prices which, unless discounted rates are available, price many families out of the equation. The likes of Harlequins' Big Game are popular in large part because of their affordability. Yet at some point â€" and it may well just have arrived â€" the novelty factor wears off and clubs have to go down the full-price route in order to fund improved facilities and a half-decent squad.
If I were Premier Rugby â€" and they are already poring over the figures â€" I would be praying for two things: a cracking start by the English contingent when the Heineken Cup kicks off next month and a vibrant set of autumn internationals. It is quite impossible that, by Christmas, the turnstiles will be humming again. If not a bleak midwinter looms for the Premiership's have-nots.
ROTATION, ROTATION, ROTATION?

So here's a funny thing. Northampton sit top of the Premiership table after three games, having used just 16 players in their starting XV to date. Exeter Chiefs, busily surpassing many people's expectations, have also retained virtually the same line-up. The era of rotation, still beloved of Saracens among others, is being challenged by a rival philosophy. The proof will be in the end-of-season pudding but continuity is suddenly all the rage.
ITALIAN STALLIONS

Watch out this week for… Benetton Treviso. Two wins out of three in their first foray into the Magners League, most notably a 29-13 demolition of Leinster at the weekend. This weekend they host the Cardiff Blues. Victory would further boost Italian rugby confidence ahead of the Heineken Cup next month.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2010/sep/21/premiership-crowds-empty-seats

One thing that was never mentioned, although it kind of was, was/is season tickets.

Surely the financial climate is better now than during and before last season? In which case you would expect season ticket sales to be better this year than last year?

What are those stats?

p.s. Do premeirship clubs use season tickets? Please post yes :mellow:

They do indeed, however the climate is probably worse then last year regarding the purchase of STs - While a lot of people were tightening the belts (or losing their jobs) this time last year, now they're either still tightening or out of work so buying tickets for a match are considered a luxury they don't need.

Then there's the ESPN factor; When Sky used to show 27 games a year (plus the HEC) it meant only 1 match would be televised. Now ESPN are themselves showing 2 per week alongside the Sky broadcast, it means for less then the cost of a match ticket at most grounds casual fans have the option of sitting at home and watching a whole months worth (up to 13 matches if you include the double header). Again, for the casual fan, it's a no-brainer; This weekend for example, I want to go to St. Helens for the last match at Knowlsley Road, but I can't afford it (plus I have a job interview that afternoon so can't make it anyway) so watching on Sky or in the pub is the only affordable option.

I find it extraordinary that only one match used to be broadcast on TV each week when Sky had exclusive rights to the Premiership, and even now with ESPN on board, only half the premiership matches each weekend will be broadcast

This is certainly at variance to the way things are done here... all 94 Super 14 and all 94 ITM cup matches are broadcast live every season. Even when the occasional occurrence of two matches being played at the same time takes place, one is live on Sky Sport 1, and the other is live on either The Rugby Channel or Sky Sport 2, then those channels usually swap matches for a delayed broadcast.

Comparing the latest round of the Premiership with the ITM Cup, it appears the latter had bigger crowds last weekend. Unusual to say the least.

Remember that in the last round, Leicester, Quins, Gloucester and Bath were all away, so the regular mainstays of highly supported teams were visiting the teams with usually minimal crowds - of those matches, the most surprising figure was Wasps v Tigers. Still a worrying trend over the course of the season when only Bath, Saints and Tigers have managed to draw more then 10,000 so far.

Can i just add that from the Premiership matches i've seen this year, nearly all have been highly entertaining, intense close matches.

Wish some of the Magners teams would begin playing like some of the P'ship teams. And if the ref's reffed like it.

The standard of playin the P'ship will stand England in good stead for the 6N. And if reffing and style of play don't change in the Magners, the Celtic nations could really be left behind come internationals. I shudder at the thought of the Autumn.

Apparently Quins have announced higher Season ticket sales than last year...

I think the Friday night games will always have a poor turn out to be honest,,

Can i just add that from the Premiership matches i've seen this year, nearly all have been highly entertaining, intense close matches.

Wish some of the Magners teams would begin playing like some of the P'ship teams. And if the ref's reffed like it.

The standard of playin the P'ship will stand England in good stead for the 6N. And if reffing and style of play don't change in the Magners, the Celtic nations could really be left behind come internationals. I shudder at the thought of the Autumn.

That's a little extreme on the Magners League ... some of the games have been entertaining, not all but most.

Latest posts