• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Where have all the Sharks gone?

B

Blood604

The Sharks are not playing well at all, could a whole team loose form like that? I needed to tell someone.

It makes no sense.

It seems like all the sides bar 2 or 3 are very bad this year.

As soon as they lost that first game i thought they might get on a bit of a run of losses, seems that way, they have the best scrum in the tournament with the Blues perhaps but the backs handling skills and running lines are just shocking. Only Steyn impressed me along with Kankowski, he's a great player to watch because he has alot of deceptive speed. I would go as far to say i dont think the Sharks will make it, they dont pick up bonus points when they do win and have the almost impossible task of the Crusaders in Christchurch.

When Kankowski made a meal of that up and down in our own 22, I knew for certain the Sharks weren't up for tonights game.
There's a big difference between not deserving to win and deserving to lose, and today the Sharks deserved to lose. Pathetic. For the 1st time this year I didn't watch a Sharks game from start to finish, I just couldn't watch my team implode like that.

For the 1st time this year I didn't watch a Sharks game from start to finish, I just couldn't watch my team implode like that.
[/b]

Same here!!! I hate watching them when they play like a bunch of idiots. Where was the fire, the passion that we saw last year. I think John Smit has left a big hole, as has Butch. Theres no direction in the backline and there didnt seem to be any kind of plan whatsoever.

Did you hear the commentator mention Pienaar being unhappy or something? Whats happening there?

Something to do with him being on the bench. He was disheartend or something. They'd better get their act together soon. In the next few weeks they have Crusaders and Chiefs! If they don't beat the Chiefs they can't make it.

<div class='quotemain'>
For the 1st time this year I didn't watch a Sharks game from start to finish, I just couldn't watch my team implode like that.
[/b]

I think John Smit has left a big hole, as has Butch. Theres no direction in the backline and there didnt seem to be any kind of plan whatsoever. [/b][/quote]
I feel the same. Butch and Smit are both 29 and at the peak of their careers when they left. We built for so long, and the team was bulit around them. I mean, Smit, Butchie and Percy were even vital in the Bok WC campaign too.
Our backline was suppose to be our strength this year, but I think this squad rotation policy is the root of the problem. Muir must surely see this?

Did you hear the commentator mention Pienaar being unhappy or something? Whats happening there? [/b]

I don't know but i've noticed Pienaar and Steyn tend to sulk when they don't get their way. Pienaar came back from injury about 3 games ago, and with Kockett in-form, I don't see how he thinks he should be 1st pick at the moment.
Although he had a bad game at flyhalf today, I see what Eddie Jones was talking about, he has HUGE potential there. His kicks were a bit over cooked (could be because it was an away game), but he had the vision to pick his spots out like that.

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

I think John Smit has left a big hole, as has Butch. Theres no direction in the backline and there didnt seem to be any kind of plan whatsoever. [/b][/quote]
I feel the same. Butch and Smit are both 29 and at the peak of their careers when they left. We built for so long, and the team was bulit around them. I mean, Smit, Butchie and Percy were even vital in the Bok WC campaign too.

Did you hear the commentator mention Pienaar being unhappy or something? Whats happening there? [/b]

I don't know but i've noticed Pienaar and Steyn tend to sulk when they don't get their way. Pienaar came back from injury about 3 games ago, and with Kockett in-form, I don't see how he thinks he should be 1st pick at the moment.
Although he had a bad game at flyhalf today, I see what Eddie Jones was talking about, he has HUGE potential there. His kicks were a bit over cooked (could be because it was an away game), but he had the vision to pick his spots out like that.
[/b][/quote]

Yeah, absolutely. John Smit was a fantastic leader and i think he was underrated by a lot of people, including many South Africans.

Pienaar on form is just magic and i've always thought he would be better suited to 10 with his handy kicking game, great distribution skills and evasive running style! I hope that he gets to play there more!! While Fred is classy, he can be a bit bloody......... French ie. running around in circles with the ball on his own try line and then making a 20m break!!

The backline could be amazing, scoring left right and centre if they got their act together!

It just seems that everything gets tied up in the forwards where they don't seem to dominate the opposition as they did last year.

I agree with what you say about squad rotation. Similar situation to the All Blacks where certain players like Steyn, Pienaar, Murray dont seem to know where they fit in and can't settle on a position

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

Yeah, absolutely. John Smit was a fantastic leader and i think he was underrated by a lot of people, including many South Africans.

Pienaar on form is just magic and i've always thought he would be better suited to 10 with his handy kicking game, great distribution skills and evasive running style! I hope that he gets to play there more!! While Fred is classy, he can be a bit bloody......... French ie. running around in circles with the ball on his own try line and then making a 20m break!!

The backline could be amazing, scoring left right and centre if they got their act together!

It just seems that everything gets tied up in the forwards where they don't seem to dominate the opposition as they did last year.

I agree with what you say about squad rotation. Similar situation to the All Blacks where certain players like Steyn, Pienaar, Murray dont seem to know where they fit in and can't settle on a position
[/b][/quote]
Well I was watching Super Sport this morning and Michalak tore a ligament in his knee when he hyper extended it, and is expected to be out for 6 months. His Sharks contract finishes in June this year. So the flyhalf position is vacant, and if the coaching staff has been watching the same games we have Steyn won't be filling it.

I hope Pienaar can channel his frustration in the right way, and accept the challenge of playing at flyhalf. That all depends on Muir's line of thinking though, however whatever he decides to do :wall: .

i have this gut feeling that the sharks will bounce back in a big way.... the crusaders are not as invincible as everyone suggests... the sharks have got what it takes to beat them, steyn at flyhalf... might just be on song, but then again he has an air of unpredictability about him... so we'll see

i have this gut feeling that the sharks will bounce back in a big way.... the crusaders are not as invincible as everyone suggests... the sharks have got what it takes to beat them, steyn at flyhalf... might just be on song, but then again he has an air of unpredictability about him... so we'll see [/b]

Pienaar is playing flyhalf this weekend, Steyn at 12

<div class='quotemain'> i have this gut feeling that the sharks will bounce back in a big way.... the crusaders are not as invincible as everyone suggests... the sharks have got what it takes to beat them, steyn at flyhalf... might just be on song, but then again he has an air of unpredictability about him... so we'll see [/b]

Pienaar is playing flyhalf this weekend, Steyn at 12
[/b][/quote]
Fantastic! I like the sound of that. Wheres Barritt going to play? 13?

I'm pretty sure Murray is playing 13, with Barritt on the bench since he's coming back from injury

Nah!! Barritt is excluded from the bench. As much as it pains me to say this but I hope the Crusaders give them a good hiding so we can still have something to play for.

P.S: How many drop-goals will Steyn attempt this week??

Nah!! Barritt is excluded from the bench. As much as it pains me to say this but I hope the Crusaders give them a good hiding so we can still have something to play for.

P.S: How many drop-goals will Steyn attempt this week??
[/b]
Are you trying to start some hype? :p

Steyn hasn't attempted any drop goals in the last 5 games. Except the one he nailed last weekend.

Barritt was set to make a come back but got hurt in training on tuesday. Mentz will be on the bench now.

Latest posts