• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Where the SA teams stand heading back to cross-nation matches

It looks like we'll have at least a couple of SA sides in the playoffs. I've been very disappointed with the showings of near full strength NH sides touring SA thus far. They all look so pedestrian compared to the SA sides that collectively embraced flowing Super Rugby style rugby (to compliment their solid packs) before the last RWC.

With rule changes like 50/22 designed to weaken the defensive line and increase the chances of line breaks I feel the NH is in danger of falling behind a bit, as we've arguably only dabbled with that more open style with peak Connacht, Glasgow and Scarlets (none of whom have ever had a particularly competitive pack).

I know the Bulls and Lions in particular have huge home advantages due to altitude, but even taking that into account I fear the league will move towards Ireland vs SA at the sharp end (and next season), with Wales, Italy and even Scotland (who don't have much talent coming online) becoming spectators and getting minimal Champions Cup spots.

The days of Benetton thumping the Bulls already seem very distant. The last couple of weeks should definitely be serving as a wakeup call for some unions.

It looks like we'll have at least a couple of SA sides in the playoffs. I've been very disappointed with the showings of near full strength NH sides touring SA thus far. They all look so pedestrian compared to the SA sides that collectively embraced flowing Super Rugby style rugby (to compliment their solid packs) before the last RWC.

With rule changes like 50/22 designed to weaken the defensive line and increase the chances of line breaks I feel the NH is in danger of falling behind a bit, as we've arguably only dabbled with that more open style with peak Connacht, Glasgow and Scarlets (none of whom have ever had a particularly competitive pack).

I know the Bulls and Lions in particular have huge home advantages due to altitude, but even taking that into account I fear the league will move towards Ireland vs SA at the sharp end (and next season), with Wales, Italy and even Scotland (who don't have much talent coming online) becoming spectators and getting minimal Champions Cup spots.

The days of Benetton thumping the Bulls already seem very distant. The last couple of weeks should definitely be serving as a wakeup call for some unions.
Agreed here. Also frustrating looking at watching games as a neutral and thinking that most of them are going to be a hammering.

I've seen these before and I suppose its then small wonder that the Stormers and Bulls are top of the SA teams but what has struck me is the amount of turn overs Roos has made to make the top 5. I know Deon Fourie has been amenace for teh opposition but I've always seen Roos as more of a ball-in-hand type. Will he be in behind Vermeulen, Smith and Wiese come 2023? Louw also a lad to consider for that #8 jersey.

Not sure one can read too much into these stats as we've played the bulk of our games in SA summer/autumn conditions on our hard surfaces (apart from CT stadium and arguably Durban) which greatly contribute to running-based stats. Although some of the NH teams do have artificial pitches.

Latest posts