• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Whetton snubs Blues to sign with Brumbies

TRF Mr Fish

Your Piscine Overlord
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=11145113

Promising Auckland lock Jack Whetton has ignored a wider training group place with the Blues to sign a deal with the Brumbies for next year's Super 15 series.
That decision has caused some friction within the Blues as Whetton's father, Gary, is on the new board charged with fostering rugby in the region.
The Blues signed former All Black lock Tom Donnelly to work through the next campaign with Culum Retallick, Liaki Moli and Patrick Tuipulotu with the intention of using Whetton in the wider training group.
But the 21-year-old, who has played club rugby in North Harbour, Auckland and in the ITM Cup for Northland and Auckland, has accepted an offer to join the Brumbies.
Industry sources confirmed Whetton had agreed to a one-year deal and was also eligible for selection in Australian rep sides.
The Brumbies began their pre-season training several weeks ago and Whetton is expected to cross the Tasman shortly. His arrival will fill a gap left by Etienne Oosthuizen's return to South Africa.
Stephen Larkham and Laurie Fisher are running the squad and vying for the coach's job.

How unexpected, a player not yet ready for Super Rugby being swooped up by an Australian team. It's one thing to take older guys who aren't being offered contracts, it's another altogether to take young guys who have likely been told "Wait another year, we want you to prove yourself at ITM level".

At least it's only for one year.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=11145113

How unexpected, a player not yet ready for Super Rugby being swooped up by an Australian team. It's one thing to take older guys who aren't being offered contracts, it's another altogether to take young guys who have likely been told "Wait another year, we want you to prove yourself at ITM level".

At least it's only for one year.

Seems good for NZ rugby though right? Kiwi players getting Super Rugby exposure that otherwise wouldn't because they are not good enough for NZ teams yet?? The flip side I guess is that a few will be poached by Australia in terms of international stuff eg Mike Harris...

Surely the great Gary Whetton's son wouldn't play for the Ozzies??

I don't think it strengthens Super Rugby in the long term (or, really, even in the short term) if the player heads to Oz for one season then returns. The Oz teams are by far the weakest, and having a semi noob for one season isn't going to do much for their prospects.

On the other hand, I don't think it's good for NZ rugby if players are poached and stay in Australia.

Surely the great Gary Whetton's son wouldn't play for the Ozzies??

Apparently there's been a bit of furore about him signing for the Brumbies, given his dad's on the board of the Blues!

I don't think it strengthens Super Rugby in the long term (or, really, even in the short term) if the player heads to Oz for one season then returns. The Oz teams are by far the weakest, and having a semi noob for one season isn't going to do much for their prospects.

On the other hand, I don't think it's good for NZ rugby if players are poached and stay in Australia.

Apparently there's been a bit of furore about him signing for the Brumbies, given his dad's on the board of the Blues!

Yeah for sure, I imagine there would be. However I can see the benefit for the young fullah getting a 1 year deal with a Super Rugby team. Would be surprised if he ended up playing for the OZ national team though!

I'm not sure what I think about Kiwi's playing in the OZ Super teams. Clearly it highlights the weakness in OZ rugby, and maybe indicates we should be dropping at least one OZ team! But from Whetton's point of view, good on him for getting some exp!

On the bright side - the Australian teams have just released or lost Ged Robinson, James King, Toby Lynn, Chris Eaton, Winston Stanley and Sam Christie from last season.

I dont see it as a bad thing, hes going to get more exposure to the big league and be more likley to flourish for a kiwi franchise in 2015 spending a year in an actual squad, rather then in a training squad. It only becomes a problem if he goes on to represent aussie national sides and ends up staying to becone a wallaby.

Poaching ******** ;)
I have a bit of time for Whetton - he is not quite ready for Super Rugby yet, but probably will be after another season. Hopefully we can grab him back then :)

If he shines the Aussies will have him in their 'B' team to stop him hving a chance to play for the AB's.
Hopefully it's a case that he feels snubbed by the Auckland franchise and he wants to show that he's capable and then come back in to the fold.
Gary Whetton was an awesome lock for Auckland.

Latest posts