• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Which team will concede most penalty tries?

psychic duck

International
The RaboDirect Pro12 this season contains some teams with very good scrums and others with sub par scrums. As a result, there are likely to be a few penalty tries this season, with the likes of the Ospreys' Adam Jones and Ulster's John Afoa likely to be winning a dozen of them.

Judging from the strengths of the teams' props below. Which scrum will dominate most and which scrum will struggle most next season?

Cardiff Blues
Looseheads: Sam Hobbs, Campese Ma'afu (FJI), Nathan Trevett
Tightheads: Scott Andrews, Benoît Bourrust (FRA), Taufa'ao Filise (TGA), Ryan Harford

Connacht
Looseheads: Ronan Loughney, Brett Wilkinson
Tightheads: Rodney Ah You (NZL), Denis Buckley, Nathan White (NZL)

Dragons
Looseheads: Aaron Coundley, Hugh Gustafson, Phil Price, Dan Watchurst, Nathan Williams
Tightheads: Nathan Buck, Tim Ryan (IRE), Dan Way

Edinburgh
Looseheads: Robin Hislop, Allan Jacobsen, John Yapp (WAL)
Tightheads: Alex Allan, Phil Cringle, Geoff Cross, WP Nel (RSA), Lewis Niven

Glasgow
Looseheads: Ryan Grant, Gordon Reid, Jon Welsh
Tightheads: Michael Cusack (ENG), Ed Kalman, George Hunter, Moray Low

Leinster
Looseheads: Cian Healy, Jack McGrath, Heinke van der Merwe (RSA)
Tightheads: Michael Bent, Jamie Hagan, Mike Ross

Munster
Looseheads: Wian du Preez (RSA), Marcus Horan, Dave Kilcoyne
Tightheads: Stephen Archer, BJ Botha (RSA), John Ryan

Ospreys
Looseheads: Ryan Bevington, Duncan Jones
Tightheads: Aaron Jarvis, Adam Jones, Joe Rees

Scarlets
Looseheads: Rob Evans, Phil John, Rhodri Jones
Tightheads: Peter Edwards, Samson Lee, Deacon Manu (FJI)

Treviso
Looseheads: Alberto de Marchi, Matteo Muccignat, Michele Rizzo
Tightheads: Lorenzo Cittadini, Pedro di Santo, Ignacio Fernández Rouyet, Bees Roux (RSA)

Ulster
Looseheads: Callum Black, Tom Court, Paddy McAllister
Tightheads: John Afoa (NZL), Declan Fitzpatrick, Ricky Lutton, Adam Macklin

Zebre
Looseheads: Matías Aguëro, Andrea de Marchi, Carlo Fazzari, Salvatore Perugini
Tightheads: Luciano Leibson, Luca Redolfini, Dave Ryan (USA), Flavio Tripodi

Cardiff and the Dragons IMO have the worst. Despite losing James Ospreys will I think have the strongest scrum closely followed by Ulster. On another note I think Connacht will have the most improved scrum.

Except for the Ospreys, pretty much all Pro12 teams are weak up front.
Gustafson was being converted to hooker last I heard.

Watchust was promising but has hardly played any rugby over the past two seasons.

Yeah, feel our scrum is a wee bit overtalked. Sure, it's strong enough compared to some of the dross around, but nothing amazing. Also, we've lost Paddy McAllister for the season which is a kick in the teeth. I really like our front row, but that's mainly because Afoa and Best would form 2/3rds of a very good back row.

If we're gonna get penalty tries, part of me thinks it will be using Fitzpatrick, who's a strong scrummager to put on against tired legs.

blues always struggle with scrums. gonna be a huge weakness i think especially how they have lost a few big names in the scrum

Blues shored up surprisingly well with 7 men vs the Dragons the other night, though crumpled on plenty of occasions. You left out the loosehead Tom Davies for them too, only 19 and doesnt seem too shabby, props seem to get better with age too! Like an ugly, cauliflower eared wine.
That said, we're gonna struggle against the likes of the Ospreys and Ulster, cant let them get a 5m scrum otherwise its an almost certain 7 points imo. I'm also dreading to think how much destruction Gethin Jenkins and Carl Hayman are gonna do to us in the Heineken Cup when we play Toulon...

Last edited:

Latest posts