• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Who has the strongest scrum so far?

Fair enough but don't you think 3 day turn around had some major effect on that ?

Only 4 of their pack had played in the France match started the Ireland game with three of those having being subbed off in the France match so I don't think it would have had that big effect. Certainly I haven't seen enough from them to suggest that they are the best scrum out there.

Also just to be a pedant it was a 4 day turnaround.

Can't get low enough and when up against a more technical scrum will get dismantled.
yup Many people just aren't built to push like that while crouching even if they look big and strong... I had the same problem, you need EXTREMELY strong and agile knees for it to work.. I stood in the scrum 4 or 5 times and 3 of those ended with a twisted knee..

Only 4 of their pack had played in the France match started the Ireland game with three of those having being subbed off in the France match so I don't think it would have had that big effect. Certainly I haven't seen enough from them to suggest that they are the best scrum out there.

come on now you are being unfair. do you really want me to nit pick this ? I could break down the romania squad vs FRA and IRE and explain exactly why the turnaround had a huge effect... and here's the schedule, which gave Romania one of the worst turnarounds on this cup
RWC schedule.jpg

Last edited:

What he meant was just 3 day rest between games. Which was correct. You could also add 2/3 the front row changed and a flanker was packing down at lock.

Ireland on form certainly have one of the best scrums this year anyway in my view. They don't gain as many penalties as England, France, but don't concede too many either lately, and their ball retention off scrums this year has been the best of any major nation. Feek has done good work there, and they have some really strong options at loosehead.

What he meant was just 3 day rest between games. Which was correct. You could also add 2/3 the front row changed and a flanker was packing down at lock.

Ireland on form certainly have one of the best scrums this year anyway in my view. They don't gain as many penalties as England, France, but don't concede too many either lately, and their ball retention off scrums this year has been the best of any major nation. Feek has done good work there, and they have some really strong options at loosehead.

Yup I agree. Ireland has the best scrum from the teams that actually compete for the big goals.. all i wanted to point out was the fact that when we are talking about pure scrumming Romania would be on top... I know they have no depth or backs but they have 8 guys who right now are the best at pushing people.

The AB's have only been dropping passes not scrums they will be there

They've been dropping a hell of a lot of passes though mate. And their scrum was retreating at a fair clip yesterday. I would be very afraid of the French and Irish scrums if I was a Kiwi.

Watching the England Aussie game I think it's who turns up to play rugby that's got the best scrum , Shag the AB's coach has publicly said they haven't shown all their tricks yet and their scrums pre World Cup were second to none. Nothing to worry about.

They've been dropping a hell of a lot of passes though mate. And their scrum was retreating at a fair clip yesterday. I would be very afraid of the French and Irish scrums if I was a Kiwi.

With all due respect, we're not afraid of anything and shouldn't be, regardless of how poor some of our form is.

With all due respect, we're not afraid of anything and shouldn't be, regardless of how poor some of our form is.

Your not afraid of the best scrums in the world when your own scrum is awful? That doesn't make any sense mate. By all means the scrum may not be the deciding factor for NZ against Ireland, France or the Aussies, but you should still fear it and plan around the disparity in scrum skill/strength.

Your not afraid of the best scrums in the world when your own scrum is awful? That doesn't make any sense mate. By all means the scrum may not be the deciding factor for NZ against Ireland, France or the Aussies, but you should still fear it and plan around the disparity in scrum skill/strength.

You're a bit of a wee leprechaun troll aren't yee, maybe if I throw some gold coins at you and feed you some potatoes you will bugger off. Scrummaging is an important part of the game, but it doesn't completely dictate if a game is won or lost, and we're not AWFUL, just not the best, but this doesn't mean it will have a huge impact on the game. So nothing to be scared of mate.

You're a bit of a wee leprechaun troll aren't yee, maybe if I throw some gold coins at you and feed you some potatoes you will bugger off. Scrummaging is an important part of the game, but it doesn't completely dictate if a game is won or lost, and we're not AWFUL, just not the best, but this doesn't mean it will have a huge impact on the game. So nothing to be scared of mate.

How dare ye! I will look forward to seeing Ireland scrum you into the ground! Now what follows is a cheap trick, but allow me to post a picture of a dolled up dolly that will further deteriorate your rugby debating abilities by clouding your consciousness with sexual arousal!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/jfkak/sheep.jpg

:)!

Uhhh a sheep joke, that's about as old and dated as Englands rugby style. Ironically Ireland strikes me as a place that would have more sheep than NZ anyway, you have that boring green, wet, rocky land everywhere, seems like sheep and leprechaun country to me.

Ireland haven't been tested yet, so one cannot say they have.

Australia have looked good, South Africa as well.

Uhhh a sheep joke, that's about as old and dated as Englands rugby style. Ironically Ireland strikes me as a place that would have more sheep than NZ anyway, you have that boring green, wet, rocky land everywhere, seems like sheep and leprechaun country to me.

Many sheep here aye. Beautiful ones too!

I'm only yanking your urethra buddy :)

I've lived in Ireland for decades and I have been to NZ for a month in 2009. The landscapes are nearly identical hahaha

Latest posts