• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Who has the strongest scrum so far?

PacDuran

Academy Player
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
I would have to say England still. Though Irelands has been fantastic so far.

AB's scrum isn't a weapon and the Saffers don't seem to be as strong in the scrum anymore. Thoughts?

Argentina's scrum is a force of nature!
France's is definitely up there with the best.
... Romania have a very solid scrum for a tier 2 nation.

As a back please give me a bit of leeway here but I'd say my own country England is up there but not as good as it could be without Hartley.

In my rough order of what I've seen so far:

Argentina
England
France
Ireland
New Zealand

Georgia always seem to be very effective but I've been very impressed with most of the Tier 2 nations. If only the playing field was more level...!

Then why did it struggle so badly against Georgia?

For me the top 3 scrums in world rugby right now in no particular order are Ireland, France and England.

That's how I see it boss. Ireland haven't taken a backward step for a many a long month now, and I seem to remember we did a job on England in the last game before the WC started. These 3 NH guys need to use this weapon against the Southern fairies if we play them lol (Lock stock quote, not trying to insult our southern cousins.)

Why are people saying England? We were put to shame by France, lost against Ireland, even Fiji had a small upper hand on us, and we only did well against Wales because Garces didn't seem to see the blatant cheating by Marler.

France have the most impressive scrum I've seen.

The French second choice front row ain't half bad! They gave England the runaround!
The France v Ireland game next weekend should sort out the men from the boys.

Can I say Japan? For actually using the scrum as it's supposed to be used by hooking the ball and getting it the backs as opposed to a penalty machine.

Would love to see side with even more potent backs use it that way.

- - - Updated - - -

Why are people saying England? We were put to shame by France, lost against Ireland, even Fiji had a small upper hand on us, and we only did well against Wales because Garces didn't seem to see the blatant cheating by Marler.

France have the most impressive scrum I've seen.
reputation is half a rugby forum argument ;)

Traditionally: Argentina, Italy, France. Right Now: Argentina, England, France, Ireland and New Zealand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I say Japan? For actually using the scrum as it's supposed to be used by hooking the ball and getting it the backs as opposed to a penalty machine.

Japansese scrum was destroyed by the georgian scrum last november

Japansese scrum was destroyed by the georgian scrum last november

Someone post the Japan vs Scotland (I think) scrum that went on for about 15 seconds of pure rock steady effort.

Our scrum in the 2nd half is generally really strong, when Charlie and Crockett have been playing/come on. Woodcock is a real weakness at the moment.

Argentina, SA and AB's have been on an entirely different level these years, especially as the game develops.

That being said: wait a couple of weeks and let's see who's who, we are too early on the tournament yet.

Argentina is playing with the substitute of the substitute right now, until cumpa herrera comes back I wouldn't be so sure puting argentina there.

OMG:
[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUz1ytcnn3c[/video]

England are scrum cheats who have been allowed to get away with illegal tactics for years, claims former Wallaby World Cup-winning coach Bob Dwyer. ‪#‎RWC2015‬

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/international/72585035/rugby-world-cupwinning-coach-bob-dwyer-claims-england-are-scrum-cheats

That's what caused me to make the thread man. It will be interesting to see what effect this has on reffing of the scrum. Canny media work by the Aussies it has to be said.

As a back please give me a bit of leeway here but I'd say my own country England is up there but not as good as it could be without Hartley.

In my rough order of what I've seen so far:

Argentina
England
France
Ireland
New Zealand

Georgia always seem to be very effective but I've been very impressed with most of the Tier 2 nations. If only the playing field was more level...!

Are you serious that NZ is not in the top four ?
Your a back alright....

Latest posts