• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Who Makes The Best RWC Captain

<div class='quotemain'>
Brian O'Driscoll is currently the best captain in the world. No, I'm not going to type "IMO" because it's not just my opinion, it is fact. Watch the documetary Reaching for Glory: Inside Irish Rugby 07. [/b]

I completely disagree. BOD inspires through flair and his breaks, but it's such an individual talent thing that it can be removed from the game. The only reason to make him captain is so he doesn't give away penalties arguing with the ref. And I dunno how the non-Dublin players take anyone with a D4 accent seriously.

Paul O'Connell comes across as a much better captain, especially if you watch the Reaching for Glory documentary. Watching it months after the fact you feel inspired by what he has to say, and the way he says it with such conviction. His comment at half time at the England match was perfect, I don't even feel like I've played a half, I'm ready to give more! or something to that effect.

If you look at the Scotland match, he was the best Irish player on the pitch, and it seems no matter how bad the rest of the team is playing he will always play excellently. The determination he has, how he powers his way through every aspect of the game, and never gives up is what makes a great, inspiring captain. [/b][/quote]
Explain "D4 Accent."

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>
Brian O'Driscoll is currently the best captain in the world. No, I'm not going to type "IMO" because it's not just my opinion, it is fact. Watch the documetary Reaching for Glory: Inside Irish Rugby 07. [/b]

I completely disagree. BOD inspires through flair and his breaks, but it's such an individual talent thing that it can be removed from the game. The only reason to make him captain is so he doesn't give away penalties arguing with the ref. And I dunno how the non-Dublin players take anyone with a D4 accent seriously.

Paul O'Connell comes across as a much better captain, especially if you watch the Reaching for Glory documentary. Watching it months after the fact you feel inspired by what he has to say, and the way he says it with such conviction. His comment at half time at the England match was perfect, I don't even feel like I've played a half, I'm ready to give more! or something to that effect.

If you look at the Scotland match, he was the best Irish player on the pitch, and it seems no matter how bad the rest of the team is playing he will always play excellently. The determination he has, how he powers his way through every aspect of the game, and never gives up is what makes a great, inspiring captain. [/b][/quote]
Explain "D4 Accent."
[/b][/quote]

D4 is short for Dublin 4, a postcode. It's a very affluent area around Landsdowne Rd. and it's accent is quite a famous one in Ireland. It's highlighted by the t's at end of words turning to a soft sh sound, and vowels are spoken with a fuller accent, something akin to speaking your vowels with a mouth stuffed with ****, it's most famous translation would probably be "right" to "roysh". This here probably gives the best explanation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ross_O'Carroll-Kelly.

Guys from D4 are particularly famous within rugby as a lot of them would have gone to the typical Dublin rugby schools, most of which are private. They're most noted for a complete lack of knowledge to do with anything, a hugely inflated ego, a love for Brian O'Driscoll and Gordon D'Arcy, and a grumbling acceptance that O'Gara and Stringer are sorta ok, even though they're culchies.

Anyone outside the back three I think, these are just to uninvolved.
I would include outside center in that too, but BOD proves me wrong, although perhaps he is just exceptional

Martin Johnson was the best captain in the world, aswell as Corne Krige. Now i'll say it had to be Brian O'Driscoll

Keith Wood was also a fantastic leader. At the moment I think Jon Smit Is possibly one of the best captains in the world, but McCaw, Mortlock and BOD are right up there. Its up to opinion i guess - they all work well with their teams.

The reason i chose Smit is because of the massive impact he has on the springboks game. When he got injured our whole game went to pieces. He probably isn't the greatest hooker in the world - at one stage people in SA were saying he was our 4th best, (although that is ridiculous), but its the whole impact he has on the game as a leader which makes him so good.

In terms of position, i don't think it really matters too much. A flanker would probably be my number 1 choice. The only positions which don't work are wings, fullback and props, as someone said earlier.

Keith Wood was also a fantastic leader. At the moment I think Jon Smit Is possibly one of the best captains in the world, but McCaw, Mortlock and BOD are right up there. Its up to opinion i guess - they all work well with their teams.

The reason i chose Smit is because of the massive impact he has on the springboks game. When he got injured our whole game went to pieces. He probably isn't the greatest hooker in the world - at one stage people in SA were saying he was our 4th best, (although that is ridiculous), but its the whole impact he has on the game as a leader which makes him so good.

In terms of position, i don't think it really matters too much. A flanker would probably be my number 1 choice. The only positions which don't work are wings, fullback and props, as someone said earlier.
[/b]

As a player I don't have all that much respect for flankers, or at least I don't look up to them. They don't have any real responsibility/accountability and tend to attract showboaters who like to just do the stuff that gets noticed. This is by no means all encompassing.

Anyway they are not naturally leaders, and don't require much game knowledge to be good at their own job. Aside that is, from being able to play the ref and play on the edge of the rules.

Apologies if I bruise some egos here

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>

Explain "D4 Accent."
[/b][/quote]

D4 is short for Dublin 4, a postcode. It's a very affluent area around Landsdowne Rd. and it's accent is quite a famous one in Ireland. It's highlighted by the t's at end of words turning to a soft sh sound, and vowels are spoken with a fuller accent, something akin to speaking your vowels with a mouth stuffed with ****, it's most famous translation would probably be "right" to "roysh". This here probably gives the best explanation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ross_O'Carroll-Kelly.

Guys from D4 are particularly famous within rugby as a lot of them would have gone to the typical Dublin rugby schools, most of which are private. They're most noted for a complete lack of knowledge to do with anything, a hugely inflated ego, a love for Brian O'Driscoll and Gordon D'Arcy, and a grumbling acceptance that O'Gara and Stringer are sorta ok, even though they're culchies. [/b][/quote]
Brilliant...I'm going to have to land myself one of those books.
Too bad you class BO'D in the likes of ROCK. I can see why though, I guess.
I do agree about Paul O'Connell to some extent. However, I still feel O'Driscoll is first choice as Captain.

I think the position don't be important.
In fact the captain is a leader a man who can motive all the team. Depend to the personality but in france we have ibanez who is one of this kind of leader.

i would have to completely dissagree with the best player in the team being captain. imagine if dan carter was captain at the moment, or carlos 4 years ago. they have their own dymanic which controls the game through their style of play, on which they were selected for, and under any amount of experiance, wont be captaining the allblacks.

this goes to all the positions too. a scrum half, by nature or sheer coincidence are very talkative to the refs because they are the player who is closesed, and able to be talking to the ref at scrum time and rucks. you might say, yeah so he should be captain. but the way i see it the more pressure you can put on a ref the better for your team. so if you have a scrum half yapping in one ear of the ref, the captain in the other, and sometimes the teams infringer aswell thats three people on one.

so in my opinion it should be a foward. preferably, lock, blindside or number 8. this is because they can lead by example, comunicate effectively and it means that key play makers (especially in the backs) dont have the added pressure on them.

(although captaining comes natural to a player so it doesnt really matter anyway heh)

It would have to b a 2nd rower, not just because of history but think bout it, they lead from the front and do the hard yards that no 1 notices except 4 the team. The props do alot of work but their heads get a bit 2 bashed in the scrums so the 2nd rower gets it 4 me.

Nah, props shouldn't be captains. We have a tendency to punch out our own players for being mouth little gobshites.

:whistle3:

<div class='quotemain'>

Paul O'Connell comes across as a much better captain, especially if you watch the Reaching for Glory documentary. Watching it months after the fact you feel inspired by what he has to say, and the way he says it with such conviction. His comment at half time at the England match was perfect, I don't even feel like I've played a half, I'm ready to give more! or something to that effect.[/b][/quote]

Disagree - I watched the show, and backstage BOD showed a lot lot more steel than POC.

Mind you, an AB supporter made the point that it was all over the top, with the effin' and the blindin'. If you're confident, you shouldn't need all that blood-vessel-bursting hype. But that's the way it's done in Ireland, from schools rugby upward.

Personally id have chose Lawrence Dallaglio or Andy Farrel :yahoo:
[/b]

bias much? hehe

Dallalgio is ok but hes very hot headed....and farrel? WAY to new to union

Latest posts