9-10 Halves
11-12 Centers
13-15 Outbacks

And if the Hooker had to change a # I'd continue the trend and make it 3;

1-3-2
6-8-7
11(13)-15-14

Last edited:
Things are numbered as they are, because it shows how valuable that player is to the team, leave it as it is.

Yes I am a loose-head

I'm just happy that rugby hasn't turned into a sport in which players have their own number throughout a season. I was watching a match from 2002... France - South Africa, with names on the back above the numbers. It made me hurl. Sooo freakin' ugly. I am happy that era is over now. Same thing goes for Super Rugby and Currie Cup in which they had it for a while

Once upon a time, the fullbacks wore no. 1 and loosehead props wore 15. Except at the clubs where they used letters instead (eg. Leicester).

Well, actually I think the centre-backrower (now called #8) wore the 15 shirt. Numbering was like in RL: backs 1 to 7 (in the inverse order as we do it now) and then forwards 8 to 15 starting from the LHP.
Still, some TV broadcasters and some newspapers give lineups

Which is 1 to 15 according to the old numbering.

And then you can throw retired shirt numbers into the mix and numbering become a complete horlix.

I'm just happy that rugby hasn't turned into a sport in which players have their own number throughout a season. I was watching a match from 2002... France - South Africa, with names on the back above the numbers. It made me hurl. Sooo freakin' ugly. I am happy that era is over now. Same thing goes for Super Rugby and Currie Cup in which they had it for a while
Best not watch the Premiership.

It was nice a few seasons back when a few clubs started putting team names instead of player names (e.g. "Saints" "Sharks" etc.)

That era seems to be over.

Aye, I'm sure a lot still do then. It did happen briefly for 1-15 also.

Shirts look a million times better without names on them though.

I like 'em, but I find the QBE sponsor an eyesore.

Last edited:
I don't mind names, prefer them not on there, but don't hate them

What I do hate is in league where each player has their own number (as mentioned above) rather than the position having the number - I'm very happy that Union hasn't followed suit

Err, no he shouldn't. The centres play in the midfield? Also it's the convention when doing these things out to have the wings and centres in one line, the three quarters. Then going from left to right it's 11, 12, 13, 14 as it is in the game itself.

------------1(Hooker)-------------------
-----2(Left Prop)--------3(Right Prop)------
---------4(Left Lock)--5(Right Lock)--------
------6(Left Flanker)-----7(Right Flanker)---------
--------------8(Centre)---------------
--------------9(Scrumhalf)--------------
-------------10(Flyhalf)-------------
----11(Left Winger)------12(Right Winger)----
--------13(Left Back)--14(Right Back)---------
-----------------15(Fullback)------------

In the scrum the hooker is in the middle of the line so 2 works. It's only left and right for wingers. Props are loosehead and tighthead. Secondrows are usually just called secondrows though sometimes called loosewhead annd tighthead respectivly. It's blindside and openside flankers. Number 8. Inside and outside centre. Leave it the numbering system is fine and makes sense as does the names for each position.

Latest posts