• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wide Feet Problems

DocMaple

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Harlequins
So, I have wide feet, but not the length to suit them. I have the wide fit Kakari boots from Adidas and the width is pretty good, especially on the left foot but there's about a thumbs width at the front of the shoe and I'm fairly sure my foot rubbing up there is what is giving me blisters. Any guys on the same boat as me/ any guys with solutions? This is a major irritation for me.

I do tend to have feet too wide for my boots, which has caused problems where the ball of my foot has overlapped the sole resulting in a bit of minor aching. It's generally easier to get 8 stud forward boots for a wide foot (they tend to be quite wide anyway), so try some of those on.
In the meantime, make sure you lace them really tightly and/or wear thick socks to reduce the gap and stop your feet from slipping around.

Probably not too bad an idea, I've done it to dry them out before so it won't damage them at all. If you do, remember it will compact down a lot.

I had the same problem myself, solved by Canterbury Stampede boots (which I really advise, wont be spoiled for choice with colours though). I tend to wear normal socks then playing socks over them. I bought some Adidas Kakuri boots but ended up giving them away as they didn't fit properly so I tend to stay away from them in particular.

I had the same problem myself, solved by Canterbury Stampede boots (which I really advise, wont be spoiled for choice with colours though). I tend to wear normal socks then playing socks over them. I bought some Adidas Kakuri boots but ended up giving them away as they didn't fit properly so I tend to stay away from them in particular.

Interesting, I'll bare that in mind, I just spent money on these so I'll try and make them last if I can, if not I'll definitely look into stampedes. Thanks though. By the way, do you know how wide your feet are by letter? as in are you a 12G or a 12F or something?

I was actually looking to buy the stampedes until I saw this review: http://rugbybanterpage.co.uk/the-ru...ag-canterbury-stampede-club-8-stud-sg-review/

Interesting, I'll bare that in mind, I just spent money on these so I'll try and make them last if I can, if not I'll definitely look into stampedes. Thanks though. By the way, do you know how wide your feet are by letter? as in are you a 12G or a 12F or something?

I was actually looking to buy the stampedes until I saw this review: http://rugbybanterpage.co.uk/the-ru...ag-canterbury-stampede-club-8-stud-sg-review/

A decent option for wider boots as well would be Patrick boots, both they and Canterbury generally sell wider boots.

That review is partially correct, I've probably bought the same boots 3 times. The durability is far from perfect, especially if you dont really look after them like I do. Before I bought my most recent pair I tore the lace on one side through the boot, making them practically unwearable. With good care they probably last a lot longer.

This all sounds very familiar!

I have wide feet

My Adidas boots rub

I had Canterbury ones and they didn't last long

So I brought some Asics boots and they are awesome, you only get 1 season out of them though (which is normal for me. I'm a lock)

I didn't actually expect so much help and I'm delighted. So, what would everyone say was the beat way to go then in terms of Forward boots? Btw, living sacrifice what Asics do you have?

Couldn't agree more on the asics front! i use to live and die by the Addidas Flanker range but converted to Asics last season and wouldnt look elsewhere.

depends on your position as to what boot to opt for i guess, but the Asics Warno boot is great!

just as an aside, if you're getting blisters, or suffer from blisters when breaking in new boots etc... buy some surgical tape and just tape the parts of your where you normally get blisters, the tape will rub instead of the skin and voila no more blisters.

I didn't actually expect so much help and I'm delighted. So, what would everyone say was the beat way to go then in terms of Forward boots? Btw, living sacrifice what Asics do you have?

I think they were called lethal scrum. They've done this season proudly and are now in the bin. I'll need some more if I ever get to play rugby again! (1st baby on the way)

I think they were called lethal scrum. They've done this season proudly and are now in the bin. I'll need some more if I ever get to play rugby again! (1st baby on the way)

Congratulations mate :D, hope that goes well for you! And I'll definitely check those out

This is long, I just want to play rugby too so if you want, stop reading after the second or third "paragraph":

I know this is old but you guys need to take a hard look at the Mizuno Waitangi. I have no idea why they don't advertise as hard as they do in Japan about their width. The Japan market models are called Samurai Power FS 2 and are described as Super Wide but they are supposed to equate to 4E. In their Japanese ads they even go as far as to say: "Forward players tended feet wide, compared to other players or other athletes, more than usual models worldwide there were many players even troubled that "pinky overflow to the outside of the sole". I don't know any Japanese so I used Bing translate, google wouldn't work: http://www.mizuno.jp/contents/kodawari/rugby/SAMURAIPOWER2.aspx

The difference between the Waitangi and the CL model is the upper material composition, and the CL is considered a take-down model. So maybe save a few bucks and go with the CL model. *EDIT: The Waitangi PS/Samurai Power FS2 has the PrimeSkin, while the CL model does not. It is still the cheaper/starter model*

For touch, training, ultimate disc, or if I get the hairy need to play soccer in the future I also ordered a pair of Monarcida SW in Super Wide/4E. They make futsal shoes in 3E and 4E as well, basically any sport your heart desires they make a 3E or 4E for. I haven't found 4E indoor/court models, their 4E Monarcida AS SW is more of a turf shoe but it could be useful for some folks who train rugby indoors when it's too cold out. I actually found out about Mizuno boots and their cult following in a Mizuno thread over at BigSoccer.

Mizuno is more of a function over form brand that sticks to tradition versus selling the latest speed gadget soccer-boy thing. They still make their Morelia/Runbird, which shares a similar following/lineage to the Copa Mundial. You can even custom order these but you have to go through a forwarder like Tenzo. Unfortunately the sole plates are more standard than wide but the kangaroo leather stretches and forms well. They have molded and screw-in models of these. So if your wide but not that wide then these could work and they look super classy too!

I know Kenya, Fiji, Samoa, and the French women's 7s teams wear Mizuno Morelia Neos. Possibly more teams/players I haven't noticed. There is also the coveted higher models that are "Made In Japan" which supposedly have better leather and the fit and finish are choice over the "Made In Indonesia" models. I plan to visit Japan within the year so I'll try some of these on. I believe their mixed stud (molded and screw-in combo) are 3E as that's exactly what the Japan Market Samurai Speed soleplate is.

I know I came out of nowhere but I'm not affiliated with Mizuno or any eBay sellers, which is where I found mine. You can also get them on Rakuten.

Just trying to help some brothers out. I've been dealing with the wide foot thing my whole life and have chronic injuries from wearing the wrong shoes so it has become an obsession. I just found out about 4E/6E running shoes in the past 8 or 9 years. I'm almost over with my military career and I just found a model of boot that "accommodates" me, it's not perfect but it's close. I do plan on getting some Adidas Kakaris and Canterbury Stampedes to compare these boots to, well maybe not the Stampedes as their boots are **** anyways even if they fit. Not sure on Asics DS or whatever they're called or any other of their other models but when I inquired, they told me they only make standard "D" widths so my search ended, I didn't feel like looking at their Japan/Asian region market. This is also a downfall in this industry, when one market say North America does not know that the Asian market of the same company/corporation has specific models to that market is a joke and a shameful way to promote the overall brand.

No offense to Lovell, they were just doing their job, but they sold me sold discontinued Adidas 118s in D width when I was looking for some wide HG boots. I should've got the Kakari and put short rubber screw-ins on them. Return shipping costs more than the boots themselves so they're just sitting in my room, I tried the hot water trick and they've let out some but they are still too long in the front.

tags for search engines: wide rugby boots, widest ever made in the world rugby boots, 4E rugby boots, super wide, monarcida, Waitangi, samurai power fs 2, rugby wide feet, forwards boot, not your typical back feet, kakari, adidas kakari, mizuno, mizuno rugby, japan rugby boots, adidas 118, Canterbury stampede, wide last, feet hang off cleats, feet hang off sole, feet hang off soleplate, boots too narrow

Last edited:

Latest posts