• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wigan vs. Saints

Wellens? Best fullback in the world. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

slater2.jpg

Eddie can f**k off scouse *******.

Wellens? Best fullback in the world. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

slater2.jpg

[/b]

Just because you're quick doesn't mean you're good. Billy Slater has got the positional sense of a banana - you just don't notice it because he's quick.

Must be pubs kicking out time in Oz. [/b]

I wish you were right teh mite. :D

<div class='quotemain'> Wellens? Best fullback in the world. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

slater2.jpg

[/b]

Just because you're quick doesn't mean you're good. Billy Slater has got the positional sense of a banana - you just don't notice it because he's quick.
[/b][/quote]

You do not represent Australia and Queensland and be apart of victories in both sides by being "not good" to say that is ********.Everyone has there strengths his is speed it doesnt matter if you are right dan is the fact that you get the job done and he does at the highest levels to say he isnt good is just your biase against Australia showing through.

I rate wellens despite the fact he plays for stains that said but all this crap from eddie about him being the best full back in the world is crap.

I challenge you to show me anyone who has won more than Paul Wellens currently playing as a full back, who has won player of the year awards, who has been consistently the best in this country for almost a decade. Paul Simon Wellens is the best full back there is, and nothing you can do or say will change my mind.

And if you think I'm biased against Aussies, here's proof for you. Brent Webb is a very similar player to Billy Slater. Slater is overrated because of his nationality, but Brent Webb is utter, utter pants. If there are 40 points total in a game he might well score 12 of them but will be responsible for the rest of them in some way or another as well. Can't defend to save his live, one of the poorest one on one tacklers there is.

And if you think I'm biased against Aussies, here's proof for you. Brent Webb is a very similar player to Billy Slater. Slater is overrated because of his nationality, but Brent Webb is utter, utter pants. If there are 40 points total in a game he might well score 12 of them but will be responsible for the rest of them in some way or another as well. Can't defend to save his live, one of the poorest one on one tacklers there is. [/b]

Um tell me dan what back can tackle. :huh:

EXACTLY - I am proving that I don't put people down because of their nationality, I put them down because of their ability. I have seen Billy Slater play on many occasions and I just do not buy the hype.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/7505827.stm
Wigan 12-46 St Helens

St Helens recorded their 15th straight victory with an eight-try demolition of 12-man derby rivals Wigan.

Wigan's Michael McIlorum was sent off in the fifth minute and the league leaders took full advantage, racing to a 22-6 half-time lead. Lee Gilmour, Keiron Cunningham, James Roby, Ade Gardner (2), Jon Wilkin, Matt Gidley and Sean Long all crossed the whitewash for Saints.Thomas Leuluai and Mickey Higham tries were mere consolation for Wigan.

The hosts had no-one to match the inventiveness of Long, who kicked six goals from seven to add to his try, or the power of Cunningham as, in dreadful conditions, the visitors gave a masterclass performance.

Saints last lost a Super League match in April, when they were defeated 30-24 by Castleford at The Jungle, so Wigan knew they had a difficult task before them.

But they were not prepared for the Saints' onslaught and within 12 minutes the hosts were 12-0 behind and a man down. Gilmour barged through two Wigan tackles to score in the visitors' first attack and then McIlorum was deservedly dismissed for a reckless high tackle on Gardner.

Cunningham showed his strength by diving low from a meter out to double the lead, but a spirited Wigan halved the deficit when Leuluai crossed, with Cameron Phelps converting. However, any hope of a fightback ended when Wigan conceded a penalty 10m from their line and Roby dived over in the 29th minute.

The floodgates then broke when Gareth Hock lost the ball and Saints quickly moved the wide for Gardner to score his 22nd Super League try of the season. Long, making his 300th appearance for the Saints, missed the conversion but at 22-6 going into the break victory was all but assured. Wilkin and Gidley both scored quickly in the second half, with Long's boot making it 34-6, and then a superb off-load from Leon Pryce sent Long over. Quick passing along the line gave Gardner his second try before Higham crossed late on, with Phelps converting.

St Helens coach Daniel Anderson:

"It was a very professional job. We had to adjust to the wet conditions but I thought we kicked really well.

"Sean Long was in very good control of our game. To play 300 games is a tremendous achievement and it was well recognised."

New Zealand Test prop Jason Cayless came through his comeback from a knee injury unscathed, and Anderson added: "That was a huge bonus. He only started training on Monday but he did a very good job."

Wigan coach Brian Noble:

"I'm disappointed about the sending-off. It was the first minute of the game and there was a bit of a delay before the red card came out. We need to find out why there was a delay.

"It spoiled the game a little bit. It's difficult enough to play that team with 13 men so with 12 it's a tough ask.

"We showed good effort at times, but we just invited St Helens into our half too many times and when the players look at the tape, they will be disappointed with some of the tries they conceded."

Wigan: Mathers, Colbon, Goulding, Carmont, Phelps, Barrett, Leuluai, Fielden, McIlorum, Coley, Hansen, J. Tomkins, Hock.
Replacements: Higham, Paleaaesina, O'Carroll, Mossop.

St Helens: Wellens, Gardner, Gidley, Talau, Meli, Pryce, Long, Graham, Cunningham, Hargreaves, Gilmour, Wilkin, Sculthorpe.
Replacements: Roby, Cayless, Flannery, Fa'asavalu.

Referee: A Klein (London)

Well, bang went my prediction of a close game after just 5 minutes. The hallmarks of an easy win were already all there before the red card but that just sealed it. I am very disappointed in Brian Noble, who I thought would know full well that it was a shocking tackle and the only thing that could be done was to send McIlorum off. The definition of a red card. After his assault on Matt King earlier this season, Richie Mathers can also expect the disciplinary panel to make an issue of his cowardly off the ball tackle on Lee Gilmour as well. I bet you lot would love him to get a lifetime ban though, he is utter rubbish.

Another inept performance against the Stains :wall:

No argument here about the red card... fully deserved. Not sure about the Mathers incident but a ban would probably being doing us a favour.

I know McIllorum was off but our total inability to control the ruck area was shocking... thank f*** we are finally gonna have a decent hooker next season.

I thought Stains played within themsleves a bit to be honest and could have rattled up a cricket score if they had been a bit more focussed but with a semi to look forward to next week it's understandable.

Congrats on your win.

I can't see what your complaint is Jeff.

You got more penalties than us, you can't blame the referee for McIlorum having a mad moment, for Colbon shoving Meli in the back, for Hock setting up about 4 of our tries, or for Wigan's total lack of heart once the red card was shown.

I'm no Klein fan myself, but I thought he got it right last night having watched the replay.

Another inept performance against the Stains :wall:

No argument here about the red card... fully deserved. Not sure about the Mathers incident but a ban would probably being doing us a favour.

I know McIllorum was off but our total inability to control the ruck area was shocking... thank f*** we are finally gonna have a decent hooker next season.

I thought Stains played within themsleves a bit to be honest and could have rattled up a cricket score if they had been a bit more focussed but with a semi to look forward to next week it's understandable.

Congrats on your win. [/b]

You know what struck me the most?

The lack of fight when the card was shown. One of my finest and proudest moments as a Saints fan, which you and Jeff will remember all too well, was when Goulding decked Cowie in the Challenge Cup in 1997 and we had to play against a much better Wigan team with 12 men, We were so fired up by the red (which was the definition of a red card for a high tackle by the way) and we flew into every tackle like it was to win the match. We dug in and we dug in and we dug in before getting our reward when Alan Hunte raced from his own 20 to seal the match. I've only seen Knowsley Road bounce like that once before, when Chris Joynt scored THAT try.

Where was that from Wigan last night? They could have made themselves part of Wigan folklore last night. Whilst you didn't totally roll over and die, there was nobody saying "Let's get on with it."

I can't see what your complaint is Jeff.

You got more penalties than us, you can't blame the referee for McIlorum having a mad moment, for Colbon shoving Meli in the back, for Hock setting up about 4 of our tries, or for Wigan's total lack of heart once the red card was shown.

I'm no Klein fan myself, but I thought he got it right last night having watched the replay.

<div class='quotemain'> Another inept performance against the Stains :wall:

Congrats on your win. [/b]

You know what struck me the most?

The lack of fight when the card was shown. One of my finest and proudest moments as a Saints fan, which you and Jeff will remember all too well, was when Goulding decked Cowie in the Challenge Cup in 1997 and we had to play against a much better Wigan team with 12 men, We were so fired up by the red (which was the definition of a red card for a high tackle by the way) and we flew into every tackle like it was to win the match. We dug in and we dug in and we dug in before getting our reward when Alan Hunte raced from his own 20 to seal the match. I've only seen Knowsley Road bounce like that once before, when Chris Joynt scored THAT try.

Where was that from Wigan last night? They could have made themselves part of Wigan folklore last night. Whilst you didn't totally roll over and die, there was nobody saying "Let's get on with it."
[/b][/quote]

i said to my mate, after we got the card, that we should go in hard and make them hurt, but they lack pride, heart, motivation. The list is endless. To be fair i agree with Colborns disallowed try, but don't underdtand why Lulu's was.

[/b]

Lack of real leadership mate.
After having Faz has our captain for so long it pains me to see the lack of leadership in the team these days.
Hock made a lot of mistakes last night but IMO he was the only Wigan forward at least giving it a go... one day we'll learn to follow him and look for those offloads (although he still needs to learn that he shouldn't be offloading at every tackle!). He'd be dynamite in a decent team.

i said to my mate, after we got the card, that we should go in hard and make them hurt, but they lack pride, heart, motivation. The list is endless. To be fair i agree with Colborns disallowed try, but don't underdtand why Lulu's was.

[/b]

Hock lost it forward - it went backwards off Flannery's head.

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

Hock lost it forward - it went backwards off Flannery's head.
[/b][/quote]

Bugger, could not make it out.

Latest posts