• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Will Rugby 2005 help the sport?

S

Saint N Sinner

With the rugby games of the past not helping the greatest sport ever created i.e Rugby union, to build its reputation. (apart from jonah lomu) will Rugby union finally have sumthing to cheer about, game wise. with Fifa having game after game after game. and Pro evo doing similaly well. Hopefully Rugby will have sumthing to represent it if you will.

Originally posted by saintsfan24_7@Feb 16 2005, 08:10 AM
With the rugby games of the past not helping the greatest sport ever created i.e Rugby union, to build its reputation. (apart from jonah lomu) will Rugby union finally have sumthing to cheer about, game wise. with Fifa having game after game after game. and Pro evo doing similaly well. Hopefully Rugby will have sumthing to represent it if you will.
<
<
<

u really don't know anything bout soccer if u keep thinkin fifa series is better than pro evo.lol

Originally posted by Badboy+Feb 16 2005, 08:35 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Badboy @ Feb 16 2005, 08:35 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-saintsfan24_7
@Feb 16 2005, 08:10 AM
<
<
<

u really don't know anything bout soccer if u keep thinkin fifa series is better than pro evo.lol [/b]
I'm with you Winning Eleven 8 (as it's called here in the states) simply destroys FIFA in terms of gameplay.

Even nicer if you have an Action Replay and get all the clubs that way.

Originally posted by Boltman+Feb 16 2005, 11:43 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Boltman @ Feb 16 2005, 11:43 AM)</div>
Originally posted by Badboy@Feb 16 2005, 08:35 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-saintsfan24_7
@Feb 16 2005, 08:10 AM

<
<
<

u really don't know anything bout soccer if u keep thinkin fifa series is better than pro evo.lol
I'm with you Winning Eleven 8 (as it's called here in the states) simply destroys FIFA in terms of gameplay.

Even nicer if you have an Action Replay and get all the clubs that way. [/b]
They must be pretty good these Winning Eleven/Pro Evo games... the latest one outscored both Madden 2005 and ESPN NFL 2k5 on PS2 and XBOX! Thats a big acheivement one would imagine.

I doubt if the popularity of R2005 will help spread rugby as I think only rugby fanatics will play it as they are the only ones who can understand such a complex game as rugby.

I only played NHL games as they were similar to soccer in my mind. Otherwise I would never have bothered since they don't take Ice Hockey seriously in NZ. I would be surprised if they even bothered to release R2005 in the states..apart from C.A, the Rock, and Martin Henderson..who would bother buying it?

Originally posted by Gay-Guy@Feb 16 2005, 12:14 PM
I doubt if the popularity of R2005 will help spread rugby as I think only rugby fanatics will play it as they are the only ones who can understand such a complex game as rugby.

I only played NHL games as they were similar to soccer in my mind. Otherwise I would never have bothered since they don't take Ice Hockey seriously in NZ. I would be surprised if they even bothered to release R2005 in the states..apart from C.A, the Rock, and Martin Henderson..who would bother buying it?
I don't know mate... as a kid playing ET Rugby League got me more interested in the sport than I had been previously. I joined a team partly due to that game lol.

Yes. Rugby 2005 will inevitably help the sport, even in the States.

I only found out about the game from EA's RWC '95. I was bragging to friends how I found this weird sport when someone said they actually played it. I joined the club the next day and have been hooked ever since.

GG,
They released Rugby 2004 in the States, they better make amends . . .

Originally posted by Gay-Guy@Feb 16 2005, 12:14 PM

You sound like a good guy (and being a Kiwi is a plus
<
).

You could never be more wrong about Rugby in the States though, me and many others like me are making it grow enormous amounts every day.

I am a huge All Blacks fan, and whether you, as a Kiwi think things like the Haka are commercialized or not nowadays. They helped me become even a bigger Rugby fan.

I love many things NZ, from the culture of the Maori, to movies that brought me to even know about things like this (Once were Warriors for instance).

BTW R2005 IS getting released here in the USA, (and thank god for it), I'm not of Polynesian decent, and yet I still love NZ Rugby and everything about it.

So your statement holds no water here with me mate!
<

Note - I know this isn't about as much Rugby as it is NZ, but I wanted you to know how I feel about it is all, my two cents.
<

Originally posted by Boltman@Feb 16 2005, 04:52 PM
I love many things NZ, from the culture of the Maori, to movies that brought me to even know about things like this (Once were Warriors for instance).
Wow..I heard Once were Warriors was released in the States but I didn't think anybody would watch it. Let alone believe the lifestyle was true.

In some parts in NZ what was portrayed in that movie is absolutely real.

If you ever come to NZ then you could stay at my place. I could give you a tour of the places where they filmed it...the house with the tree, the bridge where the Street Kids hung out, the place they used to film the pub, etc. As well I could introduce to a lot of real life people who lived that life.

But not all Maoris are like that...nowadays things have really changed and the Maoris are growing in mana every year. The days and areas of Once Were Warriors are diminishing.

And I'll take you to Eden Park to watch the Blues....the AB's tickets are a bit to hard to come by
<

Always good to see another US rugby fan. As I've said in other threads........the world is so lucky that America hasn't seriously taken up rugby....it would be game over for measly small NZ.

Originally posted by Gay-Guy+Feb 17 2005, 11:44 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gay-Guy @ Feb 17 2005, 11:44 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Boltman
@Feb 16 2005, 04:52 PM
Wow..I heard Once were Warriors was released in the States but I didn't think anybody would watch it. Let alone believe the lifestyle was true.

If you ever come to NZ then you could stay at my place. I could give you a tour of the places where they filmed it...the house with the tree, the bridge where the Street Kids hung out, the place they used to film the pub, etc. As well I could introduce to a lot of real life people who lived that life.

But not all Maoris are like that...nowadays things have really changed and the Maoris are growing in mana every year. The days and areas of Once Were Warriors are diminishing.

And I'll take you to Eden Park to watch the Blues....the AB's tickets are a bit to hard to come by
<

Always good to see another US rugby fan. As I've said in other threads........the world is so lucky that America hasn't seriously taken up rugby....it would be game over for measly small NZ. [/b]
Man I dont know where to start, I may go into a bit of a rant, if so hehe....forgive me.

I was born and raised here in California, but I have always loved Rugby, and more specifically any and all things Polynesian.

Been to Hawaii when I served in the Marines, came back home and started learning more and more about Rugby, and Poly culture throughout all the world. (Dont ask me why it intrigues me so much, but ask my wife or son if ya dont believe hehe, it does!)

Then years and years ago, I saw Once were Warriors, and even in modern times I've seen movies such as Whale Rider.

It may sound silly to you, but I fealt "at home" when watching those movies, and reading about NZ Maori culture, and NZ Rugby (my favorite kind!).

I went this past week to the Home Depot Center to watch the 7's, NZ lost last year here to Argentina in the finals (I was not there). But this year I took my son to see the All Blacks in all their glory, and yes! They won the L.A. 7's here last week.

Anyways, I'm starting to rant as I knew I would, bottom line is, I've saved enough (man flying to NZ is insanely expensive from L.A., CA.) But we are going to do it!

Not sure as to the exact time, but I know it may be in the next two months for sure (gotta square away some things at work before I go).

I've as since been ordering alot of Super 12 stuff and anything AllBlack on DVD, and go to AllBlacks.com a ton as well. Hell I've been such a homer for NZ, that I've even memmed the Haka they perform (call me a nerd, it's O.K. mate). My son is damn near getting it down as well.

Bleh, I'm really sounding nutty by now no doubt. But Oh well, it's who I am and how I feel. Your post sounded great to me so it inspired me to type all this heh.
<

As for you telling me we wouldn't beleive the lifestyle in OWW, trust me, reason I feel so at home in that movie is that, I grew up in the streets of East L.A.

And I am sure that even people as far away as NZ have heard of the L.A. "Gangbanger" type of lifestyle. I've "been there & done that" (My "Tats" prove it hehe).

I just got more in touch when I see the culture, I wish my culture (Latino and Mayan) was more like the things I see the Maori do. I see things like the Haka, and other rituals, and it gets me emotional at times (and no I'm not a wimp). Just very proud is all.

I know that when I do go there (A guy I work with is a Kiwi and Maori) he tells me the "North Shore" is beautifull to go see.

The game can't do any harm to rugby certainly, but it would have even more impact if EA had bothered to get all the official kits and licenses for European clubs
<

Originally posted by SaintsFan_Webby@Feb 17 2005, 08:36 PM
The game can't do any harm to rugby certainly, but it would have even more impact if EA had bothered to get all the official kits and licenses for European clubs
<
Seeing as how they treated FIFA, I have no idea why a company as huge as EA would not put in all the european club kits.

Originally posted by Boltman+Feb 18 2005, 01:54 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Boltman @ Feb 18 2005, 01:54 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-SaintsFan_Webby
@Feb 17 2005, 08:36 PM
<
Seeing as how they treated FIFA, I have no idea why a company as huge as EA would not put in all the european club kits. [/b]
maybe because thewy are saving it for next release :-D

Originally posted by Gay-Guy+Feb 17 2005, 11:44 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gay-Guy @ Feb 17 2005, 11:44 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Boltman

<

Always good to see another US rugby fan. As I've said in other threads........the world is so lucky that America hasn't seriously taken up rugby....it would be game over for measly small NZ. [/b]
Dude..............if you are really coming to NZ then you are very welcome to stay at my place (for free!!!!).

I live in South Auckland. Round the corner from David Tua's house. Former stomping ground of Jonah Lomu.

The North Shore is the beautiful area of Auckland, but that is mainly because there are mainly white people there. You won't find that many Maori or P.I paeople there except for in Beachhaven.

I work in Mountain View School which is very strong on their Maori protocols. Some of the teachers here would love to introduce you to the Maori life as theyare very staunch in it.

My wife is very strong with her Samoana. Her dad is a Pastor at a Samoan church. If you wanted to you could go with us (Damn, that would mean I would have to go to a Samoan church) to her church and see a bit of the Samoan culture.

But if you want to really experience the Maori culture then it is found out in the rural areas. Up in the Northland area they are very strong as well as the East Coast. You could stay on a Marae and experience life living amongst them, hearing about their history.

And of course...............if the S12 is still on, I could take you to a game.........in the ASB stand!

Sorry I haven't been able to reply for so long. I went home to ask my wife. She said yes so I went back to school to write this but the computer I use to get on the net at school has so many blocks on it that this page was banned (Dans Guardian), so I couldn't reply till now on my Bros computer.

Well think about my offer and if you are serious then we'll start PMing each other with the details.

i think rugby 2005 will do the "game played heaven" alotta good.

rugby is growing in the states, and rugby05 at the very least will give exposure to the game. NO DOUBT!
<

Originally posted by Gay-Guy+Feb 25 2005, 07:47 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gay-Guy @ Feb 25 2005, 07:47 PM)</div>
Originally posted by Gay-Guy@Feb 17 2005, 11:44 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Boltman

<

Always good to see another US rugby fan. As I've said in other threads........the world is so lucky that America hasn't seriously taken up rugby....it would be game over for measly small NZ.
Dude..............if you are really coming to NZ then you are very welcome to stay at my place (for free!!!!).

I live in South Auckland. Round the corner from David Tua's house. Former stomping ground of Jonah Lomu.

The North Shore is the beautiful area of Auckland, but that is mainly because there are mainly white people there. You won't find that many Maori or P.I paeople there except for in Beachhaven.

I work in Mountain View School which is very strong on their Maori protocols. Some of the teachers here would love to introduce you to the Maori life as theyare very staunch in it.

My wife is very strong with her Samoana. Her dad is a Pastor at a Samoan church. If you wanted to you could go with us (Damn, that would mean I would have to go to a Samoan church) to her church and see a bit of the Samoan culture.

But if you want to really experience the Maori culture then it is found out in the rural areas. Up in the Northland area they are very strong as well as the East Coast. You could stay on a Marae and experience life living amongst them, hearing about their history.

And of course...............if the S12 is still on, I could take you to a game.........in the ASB stand!

Sorry I haven't been able to reply for so long. I went home to ask my wife. She said yes so I went back to school to write this but the computer I use to get on the net at school has so many blocks on it that this page was banned (Dans Guardian), so I couldn't reply till now on my Bros computer.

Well think about my offer and if you are serious then we'll start PMing each other with the details. [/b]
Wow, I mean just wow!!!

I am definately serious about this trip we are making, man is it going to be expensive, (looking anywhere from 3000 to 8000 round trip, depending on who I take and where we fly).

I would absolutely love to go to all the spots you mentioned, and learn all about the culture I feel I've adopted.

I am going insane here at work, deciding on which two to three weeks to get off to make this happen.

When it's a sure thing I'll start with the PM'ing (funny we are only 4 months apart I believe).

I've been wanting to go there for the last 3 years, but it's just now that I have the funds and resources to actually do it.

I'd be typing forever if I wrote everything I have to say, just glad you saw my post, and gave me a response, I'll be talking to ya mate.
<

Sure mate. When it is all ready on your side then PM me. We would be ready anytime even if you flew today as we aren't going anywhere.

And I was serious when I said you can stay at my place for free.

Including any other TRF member visiting NZ.

Originally posted by Gay-Guy@Feb 26 2005, 07:38 PM
Sure mate. When it is all ready on your side then PM me. We would be ready anytime even if you flew today as we aren't going anywhere.

And I was serious when I said you can stay at my place for free.

Including any other TRF member visiting NZ.
Many thanks on your kind offer, I'll let ya know.
<

Latest posts