• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

winger seeking work

johnlad

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
England
hey, ive just started playing rugby and really enjoying it so far. im currently playing on the wing not what i want to be doing in the long run but i feel i can get more playing time here and and also grow to understand the game better.

what im wondering is how to i go about looking for work off my wing if im on the blindside. i want to get involved but is up to me to go create runs off the halfbacks and centres or will the flyhalf tell me when he wants me to get involved.

i have been told by the coach that if my fullback comes into the line and gets the ball infield i should try to just hang onto his shoulder to get a pop pass or an offload should i be doing this with centres if there going to take the ball into contact.

some help would be really appreciated, thanks in advance

Talk to the half-backs and coach.

There are some called moves that involve the winger coming into the line. You'll probably learn them at training and hear them called.

Your half-backs and coach might well have preferences as to where the winger should appear. Our coach favours them offering an inside ball to the 10. You often seen at the top level the winger coming round and taking the ball as if he were a 12 while the centres act as dummy runners.

In general though it is up to you unless the half-backs say differently. Pick a line, look for a gap and scream for the ball. The inside ball from first reciever is the most common place to pop up but feel free to vary it - pop up in the centres, or on the outside shoulder of fly-half or simply to lurk deep and wait until you see a possible line break and time your run for the offload. What your coach says about getting on the full-back's shoulder is very true and it is worth looking at doing this with the centres, although try to work out when there might be an offload and when there might not. There's no point running a line if they're just looking to crash, you're better off waiting out for the next phase.

Does this help?

yeah that's a great help thanks peat. i was also wondering about my positioning when the opponents got the ball. is it my job to drop back when im on the blindside or at any time when the opposition have the ball in their own half

Definitely talk with your half-backs and coach. At 9 I had a winger that would always turn up just off our 10s shoulder and take away from the fact that we may have a possible overload down his side if he'd have the patience to look for it.

yeah that's a great help thanks peat. i was also wondering about my positioning when the opponents got the ball. is it my job to drop back when im on the blindside or at any time when the opposition have the ball in their own half

As for this, once again you should talk to your coach. For the most part I prefer to have at least one winger and the 15 hand back if we have the opposition pinned back in their zone just to manage any attempts at getting out of the zone. But you should definitely talk to your coach about how he wants the defense set up, once you know the game plan you'll be about to improvise some and get comfy.

Latest posts