World Club Challenge - Sydney v Wigan

RoosTah

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Australia
Club or Nation
Sydney
I just realised no one had made a thread for this. Anyone watch the game on here? I was at the game last night, and it was a brilliant atmosphere and crowd - particularly considering the NRL did bugger all to promote the match.

Stadium was pretty full and the noise was immense at times. The Roosters looked a little rusty at time and so did Wigan, but there was plenty of fire from both sides who were clearly both trying to make a statement with the match. Ultimately our boys just had way too much fire power, but Wigan didn't go quietly and dominated the middle 40.

All in all it was a brilliant night, and I hope the NRL take notice and do more with this in the coming years.

Personally, I'd love to see them rationalise the schedules of both the NRL and the ESL so that they can organise a Super Bowl style match 2 to 3 weeks after the respective finals of both comps. They could then alternate the home grounds year by year and the NRL could play an active part in boosting the profile of the English League.

What do you guys think?

I was only able to see the highlights, but from what I saw both teams seemed to be a little sloppy. The idea of a Super Bowl style WCC, with the match 2-3 weeks after the finals would be really cool to see. It'd lend the WCC some legitimacy and help raise the profile of the ESL (and NRL) around the world.

I just realised no one had made a thread for this. Anyone watch the game on here? I was at the game last night, and it was a brilliant atmosphere and crowd - particularly considering the NRL did bugger all to promote the match.

Stadium was pretty full and the noise was immense at times. The Roosters looked a little rusty at time and so did Wigan, but there was plenty of fire from both sides who were clearly both trying to make a statement with the match. Ultimately our boys just had way too much fire power, but Wigan didn't go quietly and dominated the middle 40.

All in all it was a brilliant night, and I hope the NRL take notice and do more with this in the coming years.

Personally, I'd love to see them rationalise the schedules of both the NRL and the ESL so that they can organise a Super Bowl style match 2 to 3 weeks after the respective finals of both comps. They could then alternate the home grounds year by year and the NRL could play an active part in boosting the profile of the English League.

What do you guys think?

Won't happen. It would amazing but it (like everything else) is a money thing. Could take it one further and incorporate a 9's or an All star match.

The game was a bit disappointing, but you said it best - Roosters had more fire power. Wigan were missing Pat Richards, Sam Tomkins, Harrison Hansen & Lee Mossop who were all starting players. Not going to say that was an excuse but that's a little more firepower to even it up.

The forwards were both willing and Wairea-Hargreaves looks to have put on some more beef - it might be the first back to back NRL this century. Can't wait to see SBW vs Burgess Round III at the beginning of the season.

Won't happen. It would amazing but it (like everything else) is a money thing. Could take it one further and incorporate a 9's or an All star match.

The game was a bit disappointing, but you said it best - Roosters had more fire power. Wigan were missing Pat Richards, Sam Tomkins, Harrison Hansen & Lee Mossop who were all starting players. Not going to say that was an excuse but that's a little more firepower to even it up.

The forwards were both willing and Wairea-Hargreaves looks to have put on some more beef - it might be the first back to back NRL this century. Can't wait to see SBW vs Burgess Round III at the beginning of the season.

You're right, it IS a money thing. Which is precisely why I think it has legs. The game I went to on Saturday received virtually no promotion and the home team - my boys the Roosters - are traditionally a side with lower attendance rates. Yet the game still pulled over 31k and rated pretty highly on TV. Just imagine how many more people would have gone or watched it on TV if it was properly promoted AND played right after the GF?

I think it has immense commercial potential, and it could also be used to help the game in England.

First of all, thanks Sydney for beating Wigan.

Secondly, mandatory Daniel Bryan "YES!" GIF:

tumblr_m05woryvER1r5hsoxo1_400.gif

Thirdly: again, thank you Sydney for beating Wigan!

I think that the time has come for an extended tournament to be honest - but how does it fit in with the busy schedules? The 1998 extended WCC was a disaster!

First of all, thanks Sydney for beating Wigan.

Secondly, mandatory Daniel Bryan "YES!" GIF:

tumblr_m05woryvER1r5hsoxo1_400.gif

Thirdly: again, thank you Sydney for beating Wigan!

I think that the time has come for an extended tournament to be honest - but how does it fit in with the busy schedules? The 1998 extended WCC was a disaster!

Hahaha glad you got as much joy out of it as I did Dan.

But to be clear, I'm not advocating an extended WCC like some are. Rather, I'm suggesting having a World Rugby League Super Bowl type of ultimate GF played 2 to 3 weeks after a rationalised and concurrent ESL and NRL comps finish their respective GFs.

I reckon it would be a brilliant event as the teams would still be at full strength and in their stride. It would also create a point of difference to the AFL here and help build the game in the UK (well, at least I hope it would).

I like the idea of an extended tournament but the Australian teams would win every single game. You're superior to us in every facet of the sport.

I don't think they necessarily would win every game - particularly if they alternated the hosting rights.

But again, I personally don't know about the extended format. Maybe in the future, but to start with I'd like to see them play a big north v South super gf. The NRL teams would be stronger, but over time I think it'd balance out a bit.

What do you think though from an English perspective? Do you think having a world championship final right after the ESL and NRL GFs that it would boost the game's profile in the UK?

I agree with sanzar, the NRL would dominate at first. But such a big match (could) raise the profile of League around the world and help Super League teams fill the talent gap.

I agree with sanzar, the NRL would dominate at first. But such a big match (could) raise the profile of League around the world and help Super League teams fill the talent gap.

Exactly - it doesn't matter if the NRL dominated, as it would still be a spectacle. The Kiwis dominate Super Rugby, but our boys have still managed to snag the odd championship in spite of their obvious superiority in the code. The thing is the Super Rugby isn't anywhere near as well organised as the NRL, so I think that treating the NRL and ESL as effectively conferences they could make this into something pretty special.

I don't think they necessarily would win every game - particularly if they alternated the hosting rights.

But again, I personally don't know about the extended format. Maybe in the future, but to start with I'd like to see them play a big north v South super gf. The NRL teams would be stronger, but over time I think it'd balance out a bit.

What do you think though from an English perspective? Do you think having a world championship final right after the ESL and NRL GFs that it would boost the game's profile in the UK?

It might do in league circles - outside the sport it will do nothing other than generate a bit of interest about the one off match. I'd be all for it - but the international coaches would do their nut!

Latest posts