• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

WORLD CUP FINAL REMATCH

The final it's Argentina vs England, but it would be nice to see France again...

If South Africa play like they did against England, Argentina have no chance. I reckon France will beat England as England has shown a real lack of try-scoring capability against the tougher teams. :cheers:

I doubt they can win on just kicks.
[/b]

alot of this going on , BTW they got the only try,

Everybody can hate the English personally I admire the way theyve taken these two teams out,
you know noone gives em a chance but both games early on they looked like winners to me.

<div class='quotemain'>
I want the Boks to win more than anything in the world. I recognize the possibilty that it might be the last time we might be competitive in a RWC
[/b]

Sadly, I suspect this is true :( It would be absolutely great to go out with a bang one last time.
[/b][/quote]

Excuse me for my ignorance, but why do you think it's the last time the boks will be competitive?

Excuse me for my ignorance, but why do you think it's the last time the boks will be competitive?
[/b]

Politics my friend. The government wants the national side to represent the demographics of the country. 70% black population = 70% black team members, whether they merit their inclusion or not.

Therefore we have to win this cup and then the Springbok can die while on top of the world and be replaced with some shitty flower called the Protea.

Thats about it in a nutshell.

Regards

Tough blow, boy does that suck. So those pricks are actually changing the Bok to the Protea? f***ing ridiculous.

Tough blow, boy does that suck. So those pricks are actually changing the Bok to the Protea? f***ing ridiculous.
[/b]

Ja boet
Politics is this country is crazy. Case in point: "Luke Watson." His papa "Cheeky" refused to play for a team from the establishment during the apartheid era and played his rugby in the black townships instead. Now the government wants to "reward" him by having his son selected for the boks. Okay, Luke is good, but he is not the best in his position. If we picked only the second best player for each position, where would we have been today?

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=6&am...80714300C429323

Cheers

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

Ja boet
Politics is this country is crazy. Case in point: "Luke Watson." His papa "Cheeky" refused to play for a team from the establishment during the apartheid era and played his rugby in the black townships instead. Now the government wants to "reward" him by having his son selected for the boks. Okay, Luke is good, but he is not the best in his position. If we picked only the second best player for each position, where would we have been today?

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=6&am...80714300C429323

Cheers
[/b][/quote]

Yeah, nah what joke. I can't believe it. It's painful for me (even though I'm a Kiwi) to see "quota" players such as Willemse, Sephaka, Tyiballika, Floors etc...... play. Just the sight of watching them play when they know themselves they don't belong there is just a bad. If this is the future for SA rugby, all I can say is, enjoy the freedom while it lasts.

I agree with all of you, after this world cup The Springbok will die slowly and painfully the goverment shouldn't mess with the sport they are just destroying everything that has been built up all these years. They say the Springbok logo was part of Apartheid but the logo was chosen long before anyone even thought about it. I will miss the old SA rugby and I will stop watching after this world cup :cryy: , but worst of all young stars like Pierre Spies and Steyn might never get a chance to play in a WC again. The worst of all this 70% black team in rugby is that in other sports like soccer there are no such thing, now tell me isn't that like the apartheid era( maby not as bad but we all have worse problems now)? We might live together now but the tide has turned.

Yeah, I just absolutely hate to see "quota" players who are not good enough. Guys like Habana, Pietersen, Murray, Paulse, Steenkamp. None of those guys should ever have played for the Boks eh guys?

OK, sarcasm aside: for just how long have we heard about this threat to both the Bok emblem and the Bok team selection? 10 years and counting eh?

For the sake of the newbies on here, well here goes: the Stofiles of this world are educated men. They also care very deeply for their own back pockets, if not for rugby as such. Seeing as they love the good things in life such as caviar on breakfast toast, crocodile leather slippers and imported French champagne, they also realise that it is the success of the Boks which keeps them in said style. The equation is simple: competitive team=revenue from sponsorships, bums on seats, TV revenue. The blokes in charge know this, and they won`t exactly be lining up to start sipping JC Le Roux instead of Krug now, will they? So basically, these threats have been all about scoring some cheap political points on the eve of the ANC leadership elections in December.

Right, for those who fear that we won`t be more competitive if there is greater representivity: I take it you blokes haven`t watched much u/19 and u/21 rugby of late. SA have won more tourneys at age-group level over the last 5 years than anybody else. Including the junior All Blacks. And we`ve done it with teams that have been split 50/50 in terms of colour representation. Some of these age-group stars, like Habana, Pietersen and Steenkamp has gone on to star for the senior Boks, fully on merit. And there are plenty more to follow: Chilliboy Ralepelle, Sibongile Mxoli, Shandre Frolick, to name but a few who`ll be first-choice merit Boks by 2011.

And finally, on the Cheeky Watson issue, the next person who distorts history by saying that Cheeky gave up playing for the Boks, will be shot on sight. Fact is, if he was good enough, he would`ve been selected. Under extreme political pressure at the time, Doc Craven picked the likes of Errol Tobias and Avril Williams from the SARU ranks. Cheeky though, was never picked. Seeing as he was never better than Ray Mordt, Carel Doep, Gerrie Germishuys etc.

After unification in 1992, Watson was offered a token Bok jersey. He didn`t except that. So that is where the urban legend of him having given up the Bok jersey came from.

Yeah, I just absolutely hate to see "quota" players who are not good enough. Guys like Habana, Pietersen, Murray, Paulse, Steenkamp. None of those guys should ever have played for the Boks eh guys?

OK, sarcasm aside: for just how long have we heard about this threat to both the Bok emblem and the Bok team selection? 10 years and counting eh?

For the sake of the newbies on here, well here goes: the Stofiles of this world are educated men. They also care very deeply for their own back pockets, if not for rugby as such. Seeing as they love the good things in life such as caviar on breakfast toast, crocodile leather slippers and imported French champagne, they also realise that it is the success of the Boks which keeps them in said style. The equation is simple: competitive team=revenue from sponsorships, bums on seats, TV revenue. The blokes in charge know this, and they won`t exactly be lining up to start sipping JC Le Roux instead of Krug now, will they? So basically, these threats have been all about scoring some cheap political points on the eve of the ANC leadership elections in December.

Right, for those who fear that we won`t be more competitive if there is greater representivity: I take it you blokes haven`t watched much u/19 and u/21 rugby of late. SA have won more tourneys at age-group level over the last 5 years than anybody else. Including the junior All Blacks. And we`ve done it with teams that have been split 50/50 in terms of colour representation. Some of these age-group stars, like Habana, Pietersen and Steenkamp has gone on to star for the senior Boks, fully on merit. And there are plenty more to follow: Chilliboy Ralepelle, Sibongile Mxoli, Shandre Frolick, to name but a few who`ll be first-choice merit Boks by 2011.

And finally, on the Cheeky Watson issue, the next person who distorts history by saying that Cheeky gave up playing for the Boks, will be shot on sight. Fact is, if he was good enough, he would`ve been selected. Under extreme political pressure at the time, Doc Craven picked the likes of Errol Tobias and Avril Williams from the SARU ranks. Cheeky though, was never picked. Seeing as he was never better than Ray Mordt, Carel Doep, Gerrie Germishuys etc.

After unification in 1992, Watson was offered a token Bok jersey. He didn`t except that. So that is where the urban legend of him having given up the Bok jersey came from.
[/b]

Think again Habana, who is there on merit, does not count as a quota. So we will then have a crap team.

[/b]

Politics my friend. The government wants the national side to represent the demographics of the country. 70% black population = 70% black team members, whether they merit their inclusion or not.

Therefore we have to win this cup and then the Springbok can die while on top of the world and be replaced with some shitty flower called the Protea.

Thats about it in a nutshell.

Regards
[/b]

Thanks for the explanation. I've heard about that, but wasn't sure. It's a shame is all I could say.

Cheers

Thanks BokMagic for the insightful post (no sarcasm intended). Only want to correct you on one thing: we don't regard Habana et co as quota players, but merit players :p It has nothing to do with race - I don't mind in any way whatsoever what race a person is, as long as he plays well. And Habana is a true legend.

EITHER WAY! Back to the topic :) The Final Rematch is indeed happening, with SA vs England. I truly hope SA will FORGET all about their 36-0 win against England in the pool clash.

Cheers Aeros, glad to see your attitude there mate. Can`t ask for more than that!

And yes, I also agree 100% that we need to forget all about that little matter of 36-0. It`s a rematch for sure, but it`ll be a brand, spanking new game of rugby.

Viva Amabokoboko! Lank lewe die Springbok! Long live the Springbok! (and the same in all 11 other official languages)

I agree, its unfortunate that the politicians want to try and add quotas. Like you said, Habana is far from quota, he would walk into any national team purely on talent and performance. Also I've seen Chiliboy play, that guy is going to become a BIG name in the future. I just hope that these plans do not bear fruition.

Look at Kevin Peterson, England batsman averaging above 50 at test level, one of the best batsman in the world. He loved South Africa, his home country like any proud man would but he was told he would not be picked for South Africa due to them having to have certain quotas met he came to play for England. I am glad he is playing for us, but at the same time I feel the poor bloke should have had his chance in the land of his birth. Whilst its understandable with RSA's recent history, that the government wants to make sure that no man should be denied as a result of colour, and so making sure at least a certain percent of black players MUST be added... its working against its very nature, because now white players are at risk of being denied as a result of colour. Surely the politicians can see that black players are currently chosen on talent and not ignored, surely is working and is the fairest way. Politicians and sport don't mix.