• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

World Cup, one year to go

That is my point. No use betting on NZ winning, the odds are too good. South Africa on the other hand have proved that they can beat them and are probably one of two or three teams that can beat NZ in NZ. The odds will be great if you are to place a bet on SA winning especially if the SA injured players like mecurial F. Du Preez and H. Brussouw make a return.

Yeah but what if they get injured again :p ... much too early to predict IMO

One year to go and one year to wait :D

yeah RWC 2011 looks promising

i don't give england much chance of beating nz in nz, they could make it to the final or semi's but i don't think they'll beat nz, and anyone would be fools to underate samoa and fiji :D khan fotuali'i looked great for samoa last week, it was almost an entirely new samoan side mostly local players but they still came out on top with their best players next year they and fiji will be dangerous.

and if aus win the world cup next year i think i will cry, it will be hard to go on with rugby if aus win next year o_O the taunting we'll get from the aussies will be overwhelming. and atm it looks like aus are the best chance of upsetting nz

Last edited:
Another phase of RWC2011 ticket sales is due to begin on December 1st - this time it will be slightly different. These are the remaining tickets from the now closed phase two of ticket sales.

You won't be applying for tickets and waiting to find if you have been successful - this time first in is first served. If the tickets you want are available and you click to buy them - they are yours!

More info including the process for Semis and Finals tickets is available at http://tickets.rugbyworldcup.com/

Italy have beaten Ireland three times.

Italy have come close to beating Australia on more than one occasion losing by 7 points, 3 points and even 1 point.

This Irish team right now is good but similar to that of 2007. Remember Ireland defeated Australia and South Africa in November 2006 then got knocked out at the group stage in France 2007. Ireland hosted Italy in August 2007 and were very lucky to win after a forward pass was missed by the ref leading up to the try which O'Gara scored that seemed to be a knock-on and was condemned as being one by the rugby press following the match.

Italy have defeated Ireland three times.

I disagree that 10 man rugby is their plan. They did not play this way in South Africa and came away with better results than in their previous visits to South Africa. Gower did not play a kicking game. He passed a lot and ran the ball at the line too. Mallet did not get the guy into the team to play the same way as Italy did vs Scotland in France 2007 (which they were unlucky to lose). Gower is there to put guys in space. he may end up playing 12 with Riccardo Bocchino playing 10 or maybe even Burton. Canale is out of favor with Clermont and Mirco Bergamasco should keep playing wing meaning Masi will likely be 13 and maybe Gower 12 indeed. Garcia is out of the squad for november.

The positive thing for Italy is the Magners League. The 2 teams are packed with Italian players. Leinster seems to have more non-Irish players than Treviso do. Ulster certainly have more imports. Munster also have imports. The interesting thing about this is that only Tommy Bowe is not playing in Ireland. All 33 others for the novmeber internationals are based in Ireland. Nacewa, Howlett, Pienaar, Mafi, Hines and Wright to name a few are getting game time ahead of players on the list for november. Aironi and Treviso are, of course, not dominating the League but considering it is their first seasons they are doing fine. I have non doubt in my mind that the players will be physically improved and certainly better players from the experience. It will no longer be Parisse and the Bergamasco's looking like they are the only players on the field.

Italy did much better vs South Africa than Ireland did vs New Zealand. Ireland are favorites to get through vs Italy but it will be tight. It is definetly worth a bet on the Italians.

Okay look man,three times whatever but , Italy have NEVER beaten Ireland in the six nations. Italy joined in 2000 and have played Ireland 11 times since and Ireland have won EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Look at the Autumn Ints, Ireland put it up to the All Blacks for much of the game. Would Italy be able to do that? Absolutely no way. I respect what you're saying but Ireland are way better than Italy, end of.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be boring and factually relevant...

NIQ players at Ulster - 6. Leinster - 7, and one was signed as a short term replacement to cover another long term NIQ injury. Munster - 6. Connacht - 8, 3 of them props brought in to cover injury

NIQ players at Aironi - 8. NIQ players at Treviso - 9 (assuming wiki is correct)

So actually, no the Irish provinces don't have more imports.

Also, this season, the following have all been first choice starts for an Irish province when fit - Court, Healy, Best, Varley, Cronin, Buckley, Ross, Cullen, DOC, Ferris, Muldoon, SOB, Wallace, Heaslip, Leamy, Reddan/Boss, Sexton, ROG, Fitzgerald, Trimble, D'Arcy, Wallace, BOD, Earls, Murphy, Kearney, Duffy

second choice behind another Irishman (and a lot of these boys have seen a lot of action because the first choice has been injured) - MOD/Ryan, Toner, Boss/Reddan, Stringer, Hayes

Second choice behind a foreigner - ... well, Horan might have played if he was fit.

So, all in all, Irish teams have less imports than Italian teams and their first choice players are almost all that.

p.s. New Zealand > South Africa. Not a fair comparision.

Latest posts