• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

World League Player Buying

R

Rugby game fan

I am interested to know whether people buy backs or forwards first for their WL team, or a mix of both to create a balanced team?

What do you do, and why?

Thanks in advance!

I went forwards all the way. Makes the game more challenging. Buying star name backs should be done last IMO.

i would say backs. r.tupoki is a great buy, hes only 25/5. but if your having trouble with your lineouts, i would say get a lock.

i would say go back, foward, back, back foward, back, foward. it keeps it even, but you get more tp's when you score trys, so thats why theres more backs. the third back should be a kicker aswell, (i choose the japanese winger who can kick, awseome buy)

If you get a couple speedy backs, Caucau, Tupoki etc you can score the tries needed to get more points to get forwards

buy centre brain habana - bulls 1st!!!!

only 26cost and is the best valued player in the game IMO

a good first five so he can drill the ball down the field setting up good field possession. a fast second five to take the outside gap off & score tries & a good lock forward to win the lineouts. get these postions covered first

depends what kinda rugby u wanna play I guess. If you play for territory u need
1. a kicker
2. a second row with good lineout ability
3. a hooker will a good throw

If you play an expansive game u need
1. a speedster on the wing
2. an outside centre who can exploit gaps in the D
3. an openside with good rucking skills to create continuity

If you play a forward oriented game u need
1. a ball carrying front row for those pop passes
2. a big no8 who can break tackles
3. a scrumhalf with speed to make breaks from the base of the ruck.

Hope this helps!

Originally posted by cavan@Apr 20 2005, 11:29 PM
That's interesting - do you know how to choose a hooker with a good throw? Does his throwing-in ability relate to his passing or handling stat?

Originally posted by Rugby game fan+Apr 21 2005, 12:36 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rugby game fan @ Apr 21 2005, 12:36 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-cavan
@Apr 20 2005, 11:29 PM

That's interesting - do you know how to choose a hooker with a good throw? Does his throwing-in ability relate to his passing or handling stat? [/b]
No!

His line-out stat!!

<

AND WHY? WHY!!? would anyone not play the expansive game when it is a friggin'game ...lol!!

have fun!!

if you buy good forwards and then good backs it would be too easy IMO because you would have heaps of ball for them......game most fun when you have pretty good backs and, like, two/three forwards at the most....I win all the time with only the following players in my team - no forwards....

On hard level I can post fifty on the Tahs, Chiefs etc.....ten min halves....with:

Bulla Conradies
Ollie Smith
Marika Vunibaka
Jap Wing (kicker) - not Ohata speedster.
Ben Tune
Danielli

Only good challenge is pumped up Crusaders (I have squad managed many oppisition teams for greatest challenge)

Originally posted by cavan@Apr 21 2005, 01:26 AM
realism perhaps?
yeah...good one mate.

Kicking into the corner from an attacking position, winning the line-out and going for penalty tries from repetitive front line-out drives is really realistsic....

whereas i suggest kicking from inside your 22 or just outside and then running in most other situations....what an idiot I am....how unrealistsic.

Wasn't the game born when someone ran with the ball instead of kicking it?

what a stuffy, pommy way of looking at the game.....if that's the only way you can win - go hard......

I scored four try bonus point, 80 metre tries with no one in my team whatsoever......it's called reflexes.

Where I come from, the way I play the game is realistic.

<

Oh, and i took three line-outs against the throw in a game with.....who?

Crossland!

good forwards help with these things, but timing is all you need...a bit of anticipation and co-ordination thrown in for good measure always helps....this goes for scrums, line-outs, everything.......don't want to lose the ball ina ruck? Don't get caught.

<

Los Lover,

How do you effectively play a more wide-open game at first when your backs aren't so good. I managed to win one game in ten playing that way. I am finding that I have to play the boring kicking style so i can get a speedy back quicker. As i get backs, i want to transition to a faster game because tries earn you trade points.

That being said, in my current kicking mode there are a bunch of line-outs and I want to buy a good SR first. However, do you think one good back can effectively transition me to the new style? If so, who?

I bought Umaga on normal and he was a complete animal. 19 tries in season 2. As I got better guys, the scoring spread out a little but Umaga is a stud. Do you think the extra 10 points to get him is worth it?

I appreciate all the help

The further you go in WL, the easier it goes. Unless you ignore the likes of Umaga, BOD, Howlett etc. Dunno about you guys but the first 5 WL games I played were the most enjoyable, possibly because of me still getting used to the controls, but the scores were harder to get and the AI more dominating. One you figure out that having a uber backline will get you tries and points then the challenge is effectively over.

I started with a decent SH before building up the pack - Byrne, Leotta and Tom Smith certainly made it a strong front row!
<

I'm about to buy my first player. i have 24 points and I'm holding off until the mid 30s where I can get a real difference maker. I really like Paterson. A kicker and reasonably fast. But so many people like Howlett and I've never bought him in 5 years on normal. I might give it a try.

Originally posted by USArugger@Apr 21 2005, 07:04 AM
Los Lover,

How do you effectively play a more wide-open game at first when your backs aren't so good.  I managed to win one game in ten playing that way.  I am finding that I have to play the boring kicking style so i can get a speedy back quicker.  As i get backs, i want to transition to a faster game because tries earn you trade points.

That being said, in my current kicking mode there are a bunch of line-outs and I want to buy a good SR first.  However, do you think one good back can effectively transition me to the new style?  If so, who?

I bought Umaga on normal and he was a complete animal.  19 tries in season 2.  As I got better guys, the scoring spread out a little but Umaga is a stud.  Do you think the extra 10 points to get him is worth it?

I appreciate all the help
Well, while I will get lambasted for being arrogant, I am just good at sports games and relatively average at everything else.....I run good moves (my own) and shortbalss, steps etc.....and if I get turned over, I h=just get angreir and angrier until I put together four-try bonus point wins with no players!!

Of course I lost a fair few games in my first season....I drew 2 and won four - losing six or something......but just one or two above average backs - Tune or Tuilevu or someone...and I can start carving up......always expect to win 2nd season of WL on hard everytime....

forwards is all timing and accuracy....things just get easier with better forwards....especially good ball-winning flankers.....BUT.....unless you have lightning reflexes and can avoid the FB with good kicking....you will need good backs first.....try and create the triumvirate as I call it (centre, wing, wing).......thus you get three backs to be the ones who finish 90% of all moves.....NOT the fb as some say as he breaks but does not take thie final pass....

cheap and effective centres and wings who are keepers:

Tune
Tipoki
Tuilevu
Danielli

(all less than 30....all keepers).

If you have enough money for Unaga - don't get him....normal is much easier than hard level (obviously) and you need someone who can get off passes AND amke breaks with the hard level rush defence.....

get someone with a passer and playmaker star AND scorer too if possible....Umaga and Mortlock are good but they cannot near-pop-ball passes and silky quick hands for busts and tries like a BOD or an Atiga......turst me....I've played hundres of games on hard and slowly seen the difference between styles and player ability.

<

Tip = I f you are going tp get caught on the wing - launch a big grubber past the winger and chase - you can get 40 metres plus and turn the ball over for yourslef instead........Playing a backs game (and territory and kicking from inside 22 if you wish - but still being able to run it if you have to)...is about mixing up long balss and short balls....angle and straight running etc......even with average backs it is possible to make busts etc.......perhaps practice on the training menu where the pressure is not so great? you'll gett he hang of it if you are willing to experiment etc....

<

Originally posted by JJ-@Apr 21 2005, 03:25 PM
Where is Tipoki originally? How do you get him?
hes in the nz maori, which is why hes in the game. in real life he plays for the blues, but hes not in the squad, so you have to import him into it at the team manager or what ever its called before you start world league

but hes one of the best players. imo - without going stupid and having a backline of mertz, umaga, BOD, howlet rocokoco etc.

Latest posts