• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

World Rugby Men’s Player of the Year

Maybe I'm being a whiny Pom but can't help feeling that's completely undeserved. Of course he's been good this year but he's riding off of his performances of last year. There are a few NZers that I'd say deserve it more, amongst others.
Narp definitely not a whingy pom. Barrett was the bottom of everyone's list. There have been plenty of rumblings that he should be back at 15. He certainly hasn't been as good as he was last year.

Having said that i don't think Farrell deserved it either. More of a personal stance though. I just don't see what it is that he brings, besides the obvious goal-kicking.

I would've gone Izzy or Itoje. I love Itoje. So much passion and skill. Wish he was aussie. Izzy smashed out something like 12 tries in a pretty bang average Australia side as well.

Not entirely sure how Barrett can win this. The alleged "Player of the Year" has shown little evidence to me of being able to execute many of game's core skills. he can't scrummage, he doesn't take part in the lineout, he has shown little evidence of being an elite performer at the breakdown. Apparently being able to run, pass and kick is all that is now needed to be considered a rugby player.

Not entirely sure how Barrett can win this. The alleged "Player of the Year" has shown little evidence to me of being able to execute many of game's core skills. he can't scrummage, he doesn't take part in the lineout, he has shown little evidence of being an elite performer at the breakdown. Apparently being able to run, pass and kick is all that is now needed to be considered a rugby player.
Not sure if serious...

I reckon Izzy should've gotten it. Every time he gets the ball he makes metres, I don't think it's at all a stretch to say that he's the most dangerous runner in World Rugby. His try record speaks for itself and the fact that Australian form has dropped so drastically since he's been on sabbatical is no coincidence. He carries that Oz side on his shoulders and absolutely deserved the award out of the nominees. That said, I'd say only 1 or 2 of the nominees deserved their nomination, and Barrett was not one of them.

Can someone confirm for me what period the award covers?

My assumption is that it spans last year's end of year matches (i.e. Post-October) until the beginning of this year's end of year matches. This is the only logical period given that Ioane earned his first cap last year and wouldn't be eligible for the breakthrough player of the year for 2017 if it didn't include last November.

As such, Ioane would have to be up for next year's POTY award too.

Either way, Barrett certainly wasn't the player of the year (to be fair, I can't remember last December's matches...). I'd have given it to Folau or Farrell, personally (though I think there were a few other players more deserving who weren't nominated). Barrett was bottom of the pile of the nominees, for me.

My assumption is that it spans last year's end of year matches (i.e. Post-October) until the beginning of this year's end of year matches. This is the only logical period given that Ioane earned his first cap last year and wouldn't be eligible for the breakthrough player of the year for 2017 if it didn't include last November.
Yes I think I read somewhere that this is the case, as it is why Reiko was eligible for the award but DMac wasn't (as he debuted in the 2016 RC.)

I reckon Izzy should've gotten it. Every time he gets the ball he makes metres, I don't think it's at all a stretch to say that he's the most dangerous runner in World Rugby. His try record speaks for itself and the fact that Australian form has dropped so drastically since he's been on sabbatical is no coincidence. He carries that Oz side on his shoulders and absolutely deserved the award out of the nominees. That said, I'd say only 1 or 2 of the nominees deserved their nomination, and Barrett was not one of them.
Folau was part of the pretty meek EOYT last year and plenty of people were calling for him to be dropped. He pretty much single handedly lost the game in Dublin while Barrett was excellent in two of his three tests.

I think one of Farrell or Murray should have got it, Farrell probably lost out due to poor performances in Dublin and the first Lions test while Murray missed the England test. This award has always favoured men in black anyway!

Does anyone know if the Lions tests were weighted like they do with the WC knock out rounds?

Latest posts