• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

WTF was he thinking? (Ben Tameifuna)

He wasn't, he can't.

Time and time again I've said that he has more excess kg's than he does braincells.

He wasn't, he can't.

Time and time again I've said that he has more excess kg's than he does braincells.

Unfortunately I agree. Tameifuna has incredible potential but he (a) can't stop eating pies and (b) does stupid things on the rugby field. Despite the fact he is still very young (23) I expect him to be off overseas once his Chiefs contract expires in 2015 (perhaps France?), and I would assume we will see him in a Tongan jersey pretty soon too....

By all accounts he looks like he'll play for Tonga.

It's a shame as he has a lot of potential. Even in terms of his extra kgs, he's still a reasonably mobile prop. Certainly the biggest hitting prop out there at the moment (although some of his hits are pretty suspect).

This was just f*cking stupid though. Yeah Jackson was in the way, but talk about putting a bit too much effort into it.

He has certainly gone backwards from last year I feel.

Can't find the outcome of this yet, has anyone heard?

Unfortunately I agree. Tameifuna has incredible potential but he (a) can't stop eating pies and (b) does stupid things on the rugby field. Despite the fact he is still very young (23) I expect him to be off overseas once his Chiefs contract expires in 2015 (perhaps France?), and I would assume we will see him in a Tongan jersey pretty soon too....

He's not good enough to be an all black I suspect. I also thought he had huge potential. Mentally he isnt anywhere near it though and thats the issue.

I feel playing for Tonga will suit him. Imagine him and Tomololo back together and playing for Tonga! Would be worth the watch I reckon.

Its a shame for the AB's as Is still feel we need an X factor prop like Carl Hayman or Olo Brown. Franks doesnt cut it for me. I will be watching with interest this weekend thats for sure.

I also fee this is way over blown. Jackson was gunna get in his way for defending the line. Was silly of him but I reckon 5 weeks for this is getting a bit retarded.

Last edited:
He got five weeks...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=11319138

"In weighing up the evidence, Mr Morris noted that Tameifuna had apologised to Jackson immediately after the game and this was accepted. Mr Morris acknowledged the player was genuinely remorseful and had accepted his actions were inexcusable. Mr Morris also accepted the player's statement that he was focussed on defending the goal line and that moving the referee away from that line was an instinctive move that was motivated by playing the game, rather than by malicious intent. He also took into account that Jackson had not taken issue with the incident and he did not believe the push to be maliciously intended.
"Having taking into account the evidence, the player's post-match apology to the referee, his full acknowledgement that his actions were inappropriate, I have endeavoured to impose a proportionate sanction taking into account other similar situations from overseas decisions," he said.
"However it is imperative that players instinctively know that it is never, under any circumstances, appropriate for a player to abuse, verbally or physically, a match official."
"Taking all those factors into account, I find that a suspension of five weeks is appropriate and proportionate to the offending. Ben Tameifuna is banned immediately from all rugby up to and including 5 October."

and damned lucky that's all he got.

Kieren Brooks got six weeks for his push on referee Greg Garner (Falcons v Tigers back in February), in an incident that was nowhere near as bad.

He's not good enough to be an all black I suspect. I also thought he had huge potential. Mentally he isnt anywhere near it though and thats the issue.

I feel playing for Tonga will suit him. Imagine him and Tomololo back together and playing for Tonga! Would be worth the watch I reckon.

Its a shame for the AB's as Is still feel we need an X factor prop like Carl Hayman or Olo Brown. Franks doesnt cut it for me. I will be watching with interest this weekend thats for sure.

If there is one position on the park that you don't need "x-factor" I would suggest that would be tight-head prop! All I want from my TH prop is that they do their core roles well (e.g. scrummaging, tackling, lineout lifting, hitting breakdowns etc). If they can add some ball running that is a bonus, but hardly essential. The likes of Carl Hayman and Olo Brown were perfect examples of this. Neither were "x-factor" players - they just did the basics very well. In this sense Owen Franks is a very similar player to Hayman and Brown. I do agree Franks has perhaps stalled in his development these past few seasons, but he still does a very good job at test level.

I also fee this is way over blown. Jackson was gunna get in his way for defending the line. Was silly of him but I reckon 5 weeks for this is getting a bit retarded.

I disagree. You don't touch the ref. It is that simple. Like smartcooky I believe he was lucky to only get away with a 5 week suspension.

Latest posts