• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

wtf?

R

redunderthebed

I was watching Warrington vs Castleford and chris hicks scored a try for the wire and then i saw these people waving manly flags :vomit: I know that chris hicks played for manly but their scum!.I thought it would be ex-pats aussies who support manly but what manly fan would live in warrington :unsure: or any ex-pat for that matter when you have london. :)

Is this Warrington fans bereft of brain cells to realise manly are scum or some poor Australian who got tricked into living in Warrington.

Discuss!

Warrington fans are generally bereft of brain cells anyway, but if you sign a big name player, in this country you tend to go for that team when they play.

Whilst I hate the NRL etc, I watch out for three teams in particular:

1) Manly. Simply because of Jamie Lyon.
2) Wests Tigers - the season they won the ***le they played some of the best rugby I've ever seen.
3) St George - St Helens, St George, I'm sure you know the rest...

Don't forget - we've no connections to any of the Aussie teams. You support Wigan - that to me is like people with Manly fans is to you.

Warrington fans are generally bereft of brain cells anyway, but if you sign a big name player, in this country you tend to go for that team when they play.

2) Wests Tigers - the season they won the ***le they played some of the best rugby I've ever seen.
3) St George - St Helens, St George, I'm sure you know the rest...

Don't forget - we've no connections to any of the Aussie teams. You support Wigan - that to me is like people with Manly fans is to you. [/b]

Ah i see.....its a bit odd because Chris Hicks isnt the biggest player that the wire recruited Matt King has to be undoubtedly the biggest signing however sadly he hasnt dont much since arriving. :(

St George Illawarra they merged with illawarra steelers they havent being st george since 1997ish.I know he played for st helens but jamie lyon acted like a twat whilst he was here he signed a contract with parramatta and then said he was homesick and was going back to the country to play and then f**ks off to your miserable lot! thats dishonourable and i dont blame eels fans for throwing coins at him.Wests tigers i dont mind and out of the all the sydney clubs i'd have to say i like them the most.

[/b]

Why do you hate the NRL? Its not like we're harvesting quality players from another competition in order to strengthen ourselves and make everything about what we dearly love better. Maybe its the collective arrogance and narrow views toward the ESL? Fill us in.

Heck, I don't even hate the ESL...I quite like it!

Watching Manly just because of Jamie Lyon must be a massive disappointment. Surely you would have grown tired of it by now?
I enjoy watching Manly play because of talented players who still have a hunger for the game and want to perform for their money such as Brett Stewart, Steve Menzies and Anthony Watmough.

Comments such as yours are why Jamie Lyon still thinks hes a superstar. Until he pulls his head out, he won't be the performer he once was. He'll never play for NSW or Australia again unless of course there's the miracle he has a massive overhaul of himself or there are several injuries in the centres and five-eighth.

Don't get me wrong though, I enjoy watching him play but unfortunately I receive that enjoyment very rarely.

He is still only 26 so theres plenty of time and hope for him to get back to what he once was.

but jamie lyon acted like a twat whilst he was here he signed a contract with parramatta and then said he was homesick and was going back to the country to play and then f**ks off to your miserable lot! thats dishonourable and i dont blame eels fans for throwing coins at him.[/b]

You do realise that that is a ridiculous statement, don't you? You're far more intelligent that that. There is NO excuse to throw coins at ANYONE. This is rugby league, not football. We don't do that sort of thing in this sport, not in this country anyway. That is yobbish behaviour. I can understand (but don't care) that the Eels fans are ****** off, I would be in that instance, but to throw coins... No, no and no.

Why do you hate the NRL? Its not like we're harvesting quality players from another competition in order to strengthen ourselves and make everything about what we dearly love better. Maybe its the collective arrogance and narrow views toward the ESL? Fill us in.

Heck, I don't even hate the ESL...I quite like it!

Watching Manly just because of Jamie Lyon must be a massive disappointment. Surely you would have grown tired of it by now?
I enjoy watching Manly play because of talented players who still have a hunger for the game and want to perform for their money such as Brett Stewart, Steve Menzies and Anthony Watmough.

Comments such as yours are why Jamie Lyon still thinks hes a superstar. Until he pulls his head out, he won't be the performer he once was. He'll never play for NSW or Australia again unless of course there's the miracle he has a massive overhaul of himself or there are several injuries in the centres and five-eighth.

Don't get me wrong though, I enjoy watching him play but unfortunately I receive that enjoyment very rarely.

He is still only 26 so theres plenty of time and hope for him to get back to what he once was.
[/b]

And until the Australian ignorance stops rearing its exceptionally ugly head, Lyon will continue to just exist in the NRL because HE ISN'T A STAND OFF! Jamie Lyon is a CENTRE. He played THREE games for St Helens at stand off as an emergency following injury problems. He is a WORLD CLASS CENTRE but he never gets played there! There is STILL this infuriating misconception that Lyon starred at stand off when he was here when he did not - he played some of the most unbelieveable stuff Super League has ever seen at CENTRE, not STAND OFF.

Manly will not get the best out of him until they play him in his proper position - that's not Jamie Lyon's fault. And Lyon does not have an attitude either, I have had the downright pleasure of sorting out Jamie Lyon's mobile phone contract, and he is one of the nicest, most down to earth and normal people you could ever wish to meet. Instead of selling him a phone I was fawning all over him, asking for photos and autographs, and he didn't even flinch. He is the nicest overseas player I have ever met, and I have met almost all Saints have had over the last ten years and beyond. If anyone hasn't got a "superstar" attitude, it's Jamie Lyon.

There are, by the way, many reasons I hate the NRL. It's boring, it's too forward orientated, there's no atmosphere or passion from the crowds, there's snobbery towards English players and teams, and this misplaced sense of superiority, summed up by the Lyon situation in 2006. Lyon had had a fantastic season, helping Saints to win every trophy they could possibly win. So good that he HAD to be called up to the Aussie squad for the Tri Nations, there's nothing that could be done about it.

And what do the Aussie fans do? Boo him. And for that show of breathtaking ignorance and jealousy, I will have hate Australian RL as an institution. Not the players (well, most of them), but the instiution and mindset.

I saw an NRL game when i was in Samoa. The game was really odd, it was 'Tigers' vs some 'other team' kitted in white and one team scored and the other scored. It went like that for ages and although i found it skillful, it was quite ultimately dull.

I much prefer ESL to be honest when i see it. I think RL can be dull as can Rugby Union, but i think ESL has a little more variety over NRL.. at least in the game i saw.

There are, by the way, many reasons I hate the NRL. It's boring, it's too forward orientated, there's no atmosphere or passion from the crowds, there's snobbery towards English players and teams, and this misplaced sense of superiority, summed up by the Lyon situation in 2006. Lyon had had a fantastic season, helping Saints to win every trophy they could possibly win. So good that he HAD to be called up to the Aussie squad for the Tri Nations, there's nothing that could be done about it.

[/b]
There most certainly is an arrogance towards the ESL, but you have to understand that it's as much the ESL's fault as anybody's... The fact that it's your teams buying our older players (and now players in their prime) and not the other way around has earned a fair bit of resentment in the Australian rugby league community towards the English League. Then when you factor in that GB have been unable to perform against Australia in internationals for such over 3 decades, the issue is compounded by making it seem as though England can't grow their own talent.
I know the national economic situation of GB and club benefactors are factors, but you have to admit Dan, to the average man in the street in Aus it just looks bad...

On a side note: Lyon may not be a stand off in your opinion Dan, but that didn't stop him from completely f#cking over my boys on the weekend :( . Seriously, he looked bloody good there for the first time I have to say. Maybe the coach saw something we didn't and now it's paying off?

I watched the second half and he had 3 on his back, ergo he was at centre surely?

hicks was good player for manly ... fairly reliable ... poor loss really when you look at the wingers they have now

<div class='quotemain'> but jamie lyon acted like a twat whilst he was here he signed a contract with parramatta and then said he was homesick and was going back to the country to play and then f**ks off to your miserable lot! thats dishonourable and i dont blame eels fans for throwing coins at him.[/b]

You do realise that that is a ridiculous statement, don't you? You're far more intelligent that that. There is NO excuse to throw coins at ANYONE. This is rugby league, not football. We don't do that sort of thing in this sport, not in this country anyway. That is yobbish behaviour. I can understand (but don't care) that the Eels fans are ****** off, I would be in that instance, but to throw coins... No, no and no.

[/b][/quote]

I dont condone what they did however i can understand why they would do it.

I personally would never do it ever.This stereotype that football is the only code that has bad behaviour really really grates me.

There are, by the way, many reasons I hate the NRL. It's boring, it's too forward orientated, there's no atmosphere or passion from the crowds,

[/b]

Watch a game played at Leichardt Oval,Brookvale Oval etc etc then come back and say that.The reason games are **** in that way is because they play in places that are **** to watch league.You guys are lucky you still retain traditional grounds like headingley etc etc dont let them move into big modern stadium like we have it will go downhill you just watch and see.Not to mention the Australian sporting culture is that of a consumer i.e you turn up in your clubs colours pay your ticket and sit down and watch the game as opposed to a active participation in that it adds to the atmosphere and lifts the team.

Its a uphill battle to change that attitude in soccer/football here let alone NRL.

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]
There most certainly is an arrogance towards the ESL, but you have to understand that it's as much the ESL's fault as anybody's... The fact that it's your teams buying our older players (and now players in their prime) and not the other way around has earned a fair bit of resentment in the Australian rugby league community towards the English League. Then when you factor in that GB have been unable to perform against Australia in internationals for such over 3 decades, the issue is compounded by making it seem as though England can't grow their own talent.
I know the national economic situation of GB and club benefactors are factors, but you have to admit Dan, to the average man in the street in Aus it just looks bad...

On a side note: Lyon may not be a stand off in your opinion Dan, but that didn't stop him from completely f#cking over my boys on the weekend :( . Seriously, he looked bloody good there for the first time I have to say. Maybe the coach saw something we didn't and now it's paying off?
[/b][/quote]

Exactly!

Your league is seen as a way for Australia players to top up their super which is reinforced whenever Australia humps england in the tests.It doesnt help when you are our rivals either.

I'm a fan i have taken the time to watch games and got a whole new appreciation for it most Australian's just see it dumping site for those who cant make it in Australia anymore.

I personally think a lot of the NRL fans are getting worried by Super League. In the past, perhaps there were one or two over the hill Aussies who came to Super League looking for a final paycheque.

But those days are gone - people like Lyon, Barratt, Monoghan, King... all big names all in their prime are coming to the Super League. And it's not for the money let me assure you, because they don't earn all that much!

I personally think a lot of the NRL fans are getting worried by Super League. In the past, perhaps there were one or two over the hill Aussies who came to Super League looking for a final paycheque.

But those days are gone - people like Lyon, Barratt, Monoghan, King... all big names all in their prime are coming to the Super League. And it's not for the money let me assure you, because they don't earn all that much! [/b]

Ah but they can hide away money in trust account in the channel islands AND what you think isnt a terrible lot convert it from pounds to Australian Dollar and then you can see where those stereotypes come from.

As i said i love the ESL its great league to watch but it has a PR problem in Australia.The fact that the clubs who cant afford english talent (like wakefield etc) raid our talent stocks and you can see the resentment.

Dont kid me that people choose super league over NRL they dont 90% its that they cant get a good deal here so they sign in England where they can get a good deal.

I know Saints' finances back to front as I have a relative who works there. Highest salary I've seen for an overseas player is £200,000. Don't get me wrong I wish I was on it but it's not all that much.

Plus, England is an exceptionally expensive place to live.

I know Saints' finances back to front as I have a relative who works there. Highest salary I've seen for an overseas player is £200,000. Don't get me wrong I wish I was on it but it's not all that much.

Plus, England is an exceptionally expensive place to live. [/b]

Most of the players that would come to england have played a few years in Australia at least so money wouldnt be a *huge* issue therefor they are less dependent on the income they get from the club so they can get a better deal via the exchange rate between the pound and the Australia dollar (so if your figure is correct and the lower end is about 150-100,000 pounds they can make at least a couple of hundred k).Not to mention if your contract if up for review and your club wants you to take a paycut to fit in the salary cap and shorter contract and you might have a couple of season of league in you.

So you can make more money than you could in Australia for longer.I see it all the time Brett Hodgson going to shudds and Michael Crocker going to Hull come to mind.

I dont see it as a threat to NRL we will always have the best talent Australia has however financially struggling sydney clubs might be looking over their shoulders (as they have done for generations against clubs like easts and manly and have survived) next time one of their big players comes off contract.

Thats where the fear-mongering will come from Dan.