• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Xbox controller to PC

Seaton

First XV
Club or Nation
Sharks
I'm trying to hook-up one of my Xbox controllers to my PC, so that I can play FIFA 11 with it.

And I would just like to know if any body here has done this before, as I am having problems doing it.
I've already downloaded the Xbox Accesories program thing (for the correct version of Windows), installed it and such
Now when I plug in the controller (using the USB cable), the PC detects it and says it is working fine, whilst nothing happens on the controller, it is supposedly supposed to light-up exactly as it does when connected to the Xbox.

I've also tried the joy.cpl search thing, but my controller doesn't pop up on the list :huh:

Help shall be repped :)

With mine I just plugged it in, waited a few seconds for it to configure itself, and then it was fine
Sorry!

With mine I just plugged it in, waited a few seconds for it to configure itself, and then it was fine
Sorry!

What version of Windows (if you are running Windows) do you have?

Windows 7, home premium
My controller came with a driver CD as well, but I don't think I used it, it just installed it all itself when I first plugged in

I use a wireless xbox 360 controller along with the wireless dongle thing for pc's. Works fine. Also using Windows 7, ultimate. However I think I also used it on Vista aswell with no problems.

With my wireless one, I still have to turn the controller on by holding the centre 'home' button. Not sure if you also need to do that on the wired version or not.

Does it show in the device manager?

With my wireless one, I still have to turn the controller on by holding the centre 'home' button. Not sure if you also need to do that on the wired version or not.

Does it show in the device manager?

I use Windows 7, Home most likely

With regards to pressing the 'home' button, I do this (which you are supposed to), but it just keeps flashing, like it's not detecting anything

And strangely enough, it does appear in the Device Manager, and upon looking at it, it says it's working perfectly, which it clearly is not

I am not the only person with this problem, I see on sites where you can download the software many people have popped this question, but none have been answered

Well if you're on Windows 7, uninstall any software you've installed from 'programs and features'. Make sure you're connected to the internet, then re-plug the controller in and let windows find and install the correct driver.

If it still doesn't work, then I'm not quite sure. The controller is definately perfectly compatible with Windows 7, so it then comes down to something you've installed that's interfering or a dodgy controller.

Yeah I've tried deleting all related software, and simply letting Windows try and download the drivers, and alas nothing happens, it simply detects it and does nothing, and it still says the device is working properly.

Thanks for the input, but it looks like I will have to go through the mission of getting hold of Microsoft, whom will undoubtedly tell me I have a faulty controller (I've actually tried 3 of ones I have), I must buy the PC designated one (Of which there is **** all difference in terms of the product, only the packaging is different) and etc...
I must say the PC version of FIFA is absolutely crap compared to the PS3 version

Just to make sure, are you using a wired controller, not a wireless controller plugged into your pc using a plug and play adaptor (i.e. play and charge kit, that allowes the controller to charge whilst playing).

We should be able to work this through without having to contact Microsoft, as there really isn't any reason for it not to work.

I'm not sure I understand. How can you use both at the same time?

The reason I was asking is because the play and charge kit doesn't actually send any information down the cable, it simply uses the USB power to charge the batteries in the controller while you play. The controller still uses it's wireless connection to send the information to the Xbox. Therefore if you're using the play and charge kit to connect your controller to the pc, all you're doing is charging your controller, hence why it doesn't actually work.

If this is what you're doing, then to get it to work you need to buy the 'Xbox 360 wireless receiver for windows dongle' in order for the button presses to be transferred to your computer, or buy an actual wired xbox 360 controller (permanently attached wire and doesn't need batteries).

If I've missunderstood, then we can try something different.

I think you may be right, but then Microsoft has a right cheek calling it a 'Plug & Play' device

Thanks for the help

Yeah I went through this exact scenario trying all sorts to get windows to accept my wireless controller. Basically without the proper dongle (which I couldnt find anywhere for sale, possibly discontinued by M$) you'll just have to fork out for a new, wired controller.

Maybe someone else has had more luck tracking down the wireless dongle than I have.......?

They're still available in the UK from sites like Play.com. Not sure about Aus, but if they're not being sold then it's not because MS have discontinued them.

LordHope. I think you're being a little harsh on Microsoft there. It's called a 'Charge & play' kit, and is only advertised and sold as an xBox 360 accessory. PC's simply don't have the capability to recieve the wireless signal without a dongle, and what's the point in MS sending the signal down the 'charge and play' kit when the remote already has the ability to do this wirelessly with the xbox 360 console.

The fact that Microsoft have made the 360 controller compatible with the PC is great, as it gives access to a great controller for PC users. Buying the wireless dongle should be expected in order to use the wireless reciever, there's just no other way. It's not a money spinning thing (although £16 is a little steep for the wireless reciever), it's just a fact that PC's aren't the same as consoles and simply don't have the reciever built in like every 360 console does.

Latest posts