• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Yoshikazu Fujita

psychic duck

International
3755533.png

This weekend, Japan selected an 18 year old called Yoshikazu Fujita to play on the wing who became the youngest ever Japanese player, and on his debut he scored 6 tries as Japan thrashed the UAE 106-3.

The opposition was not the hardest it must be said, the United Arab Emirates lost 66-3 to Brazil and 85-10 to Hong Kong recently so they are pretty rubbish.

But still, it looks like Japan could have a new Ohata, and with his early start to his career and a tonne of matches against the UAE, Kazakhstan, South Korea and Hong Kong every year, if he can stay fit, I wouldn't back against him breaking the world record of tries scored.

Here is the video of Fujita's debut.

It is quite long so I will show where to fast forward to

0:25, on his first touch of the ball in international rugby makes an 80 metre break
2:05, first try
3:40, second try
4:50, third try
5:50, fourth try
7:15, fifth try
8:50, sixth try

Last edited by a moderator:
Not knocking his or Ohata's achievements, but I wonder what Shane or George would do there.

I thought Ohata was a petty reasonable player. Still remember his try against Wales in the 1999 World Cup.

As you said Duck the opposition isn't great but you can tell he has certain attributes which any winger would be happy to have. He'll score heaps of tries for Japan but I'd like to seem him in a big league so we could tell if he actually is quality. Does appear to have great acceleration and the ability to change direction at speed without losing pace. Also decently sized for an 18 year old from Japan.

Yeah, I wish we could have seen Ohata in Europe/S14 to judge where he really was at.

Yeah, I wish we could have seen Ohata in Europe/S14 to judge where he really was at.

In my mind he couldn't have got as far as he did without the ability of a first choice winger for a top 10 nation. I agree that it's a shame he didn't stay in Europe but this is all speculation anyway. Hopefully we'll see a few more Japanese players developing abroad (following the trend of Georgian and Russian players)- the top level experience they gain is invaluable to the national side as long as they're not too restricted by their clubs.

Anyway he clearly has plenty of gas to burn- hopefully we see more of him in the years to come.

For some reason he doesn't strike me as being that fast...could be just the video though.

Just an update on this kid. He suffered a serious knee injury right after his debut. But returned for this year's Asian 5 Nations and scored in every match and has increased his try record to 10 tries in 4 caps.

If he stays fit, he's got to be a contender for breaking the world try scoring record of Daisuke Ohata, given he's only 19, he faces opposition much weaker than him every year, and Ohata spent the last few years of his career constantly injured and only reached 58 caps to score his 69 tries.

Until I checked the year on these posts, I thought I completely blanked on a thread I was seemingly in 'last week'.

I am strongly against the spelling "Yoshikazu Fujita", and his name must be written "HUZITA Yosikazu".

I am strongly against the spelling "Yoshikazu Fujita", and his name must be written "HUZITA Yosikazu".

I am strongly against processed cheese in my mince pies, and the pastry should be "light and flaky".

Last edited:
he doesn't play in the top league he still plays for his university called 'Waseda'

Latest posts