• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Your favorite int'l match ever

DATE: 15th July, 2000
PLACE; Sydney, Australia
VENUE: Homebush (now ANZ Stadium)
MATCH: Australia v New Zealand,
CROWD: 109,874 (a world record for a rugby match that still stands)

This was arguably the greatest test match ever played. NZ scored three converted tries in the first five minutes and led 24-0 after 7 minutes. They got their fifth, and winning try in the 4th minute of injury time.

Entertaining test, but defence optional. I like a close match. Except when Wales play.

Last edited by a moderator:
Entertaining test, but defence optional. I like a close match. Except when Wales play.

well......yeh but it's super duper cool when it's a close match WITH a high score and a bunch of tries.
Pure SH Rugby in all its glory right there, the pinnacle of SH Rugby.

I do much prefer that to a test where all you see is clueless attack, mere hard defense, and then a big zoom on some penalty kicker's concentrated face about 1/4 of the match. It's cool that it's tight but it's just not pretty sports to watch. And yes yes, I know, sports aren't all about being pretty, but point made.

Last edited:
DATE: 15th July, 2000
PLACE; Sydney, Australia
VENUE: Homebush (now ANZ Stadium)
MATCH: Australia v New Zealand,
CROWD: 109,874 (a world record for a rugby match that still stands)

This was arguably the greatest test match ever played. NZ scored three converted tries in the first five minutes and led 24-0 after 7 minutes. They got their fifth, and winning try in the 4th minute of injury time.

[video=youtube;heoO_5MvZ0w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heoO_5MvZ0w

Excellent game!! This may have been one of the first matches I ever saw because this was about the time I started watching the game. And wasn't Marshall's try just brilliant?! ;)

I have a VCR tape here that says - Tri-Nations - Australia V SA - 'GREAT!'. Not sure the year. I think I'll take it to work (where I still have a VCR player) and see what year it is - it also has an Australia V NZ game on it - wonder if it's this one.

As far as my favorite international game? It would be one from the early 2000s, when I first started watching. I think there was an excitement to the game that has waned a bit in recent years. I blame it on the kicking - kicking rugby is just not as exciting as running rugby, imho.

das

As a neutral.....(also how amazing was John Taylor's play by play commentary for this game!! It's part of the reason it was so easy to get into on TV, and just hearing some of the calls and seeing the tries has the hair's on the back of my neck standing up)

As a homer....Canada over Tonga 25-20 at the 2011 RWC.

As a neutral.....(also how amazing was John Taylor's play by play commentary for this game!! It's part of the reason it was so easy to get into on TV, and just hearing some of the calls and seeing the tries has the hair's on the back of my neck standing up)

As a homer....Canada over Tonga 25-20 at the 2011 RWC.

well I'm happy we agree on that first match you mention, but secondly I'd like to say again, yes, thank God for that match in bold there !!!!!!!!...:p

Warra match, also the first ever rugby match I was at, I'm one of the kids with his legs over the ad boarding when Woody goes over!

The first I would like to say is France-NZ in 1999. I remember I watched it but I was too young to understant what is rugby (I was 4 yo). But I saw it twice since 1999 and it was really the BEST EVER RUGBY GAME with this incredible try of Dominici !!!!
Then, there is Ireland-France 2007 in Croke Park and the try of Vincent Clerc. Maybe this try allowed him to participate to the 2007 RWC because thanks its try we won the Grand Slam.And my favourite, France-NZ 2007 in Cardiff !!! Wow !!! An amazing Lionel Beauxis (he didn't play as well since), the injury of Serge Betsen after 2 minutes, the first try of the Dark Destroyer ***i Dusautoir. But I won't say anything about the pass between Marty and Michalak for the second try :).
Another game I like is France-Australie 2010 in Stade de France. Franced losed 46-13. This game was the start of the hell of Marc Lièvremont. But I like this game because I was in Stade de France this night. I remember the weather was very cold. The atmosphere was great. I was just on the side were all the Aussie's tries were scored (except the first (AAC) and the JO'C one's). I was just front of Australian guys and they were drinking beers all the time. I don't know if they remember this game ahahah

Well ofc I should say both matches against France in RWC 2007, but to be honest the one that I enjoyed the most was against Ireland.

They were too many elements that made that match attractive. We kicked Ireland out from RWC in 1999 (28-24) and they did the same to us in RWC 2003 (16-15).
There was too much rivality between both sides due to that and also rivality between players. Contepomi vs O'Gara and O'Driscoll to be specific.

Many Pumas wanted to take revenge from that tight defeat against Ireland in RWC 2003 so it was indeed a special match.

Also, the match itself was interesting:

- Even though the final score was wide, it was a really tough match. Ireland was pretty close to win it and played good rugby in some stages.
- JM Hernandez playing at his best, scoring three drop goals. In that moment he was the best fly-half of the world.
- O'Driscoll saying "It start's now" after scoring his try and draw the score. That was priceless. Luckily for us we managed to comeback in the score and win it.

I've really wracked my brain cells (both of them) and pick the 1999 France v NZ World Cup game. It was a game I watched on video about 2/3 times a week in between the day it was recorded and the day we moved from that house (about 4 years). Was delighted to find a full copy, albeit avec French comms online.

From a biased, Dragon-tinted glasses p.o.v its hard to look past this years 30-3.

Also, the match itself was interesting:

- Even though the final score was wide, it was a really tough match. Ireland was pretty close to win it and played good rugby in some stages.
- JM Hernandez playing at his best, scoring three drop goals. In that moment he was the best fly-half of the world.
- O'Driscoll saying "It start's now" after scoring his try and draw the score. That was priceless. Luckily for us we managed to comeback in the score and win it.

This tournament is actually the worst I've ever seen Ireland play. This match included. Truly dreadful. But a mystery as to why as they were the best team in the 6 Nations that year even though they choked for the Grand Slam. That RWC disaster came out of nowhere.

I'd say Eng vs Aus final in 2003. The game itself wasn't that brilliant but as a tight finish, you couldn't have asked for much more.

Hard to single out one match but I think off the top of my head:

2003 WC final
Lions 2nd test 2009
Wales v Fiji 2007 WC (the ENG v WAL warm-up test was awesome too!)
2012 Eng v NZ (Most competitive games with us two are great but very few and far between)
The 1999 and 2007 FRA v NZ games in the WC knockout

Latest posts