England in the mid year tests included some wonders

10. Andy Goode
11. Matt Banahan
12. Tom May
13. Dan Hipkiss
14. Mark Cueto
15. Delon Armitage.

Also the end of year tests 2009 when we had Shane Geraghty at 12 :p

There's been worse than him. I like Cueto a lot.

41799_49496373959_5571605_n.jpg

Have fun with that :D

Any Wallabies side with Barnes after the 2007 Rugby world cup.

Over the past 15 or so years.

15 Morgan Stoddart. We have had quite a few poor fullbacks, but most with 1-2 caps. Stoddart has had a few and is poor at FB consistently.
14 Tom James. Quick as hell, but no brain. Needs to stop whinging.
13 Roger Bidgood. I'll try to limit 90's players, as there are too many, but this was necessary.
12 Andy Marinos. How is he the head of SANZAR?
11 Wayne Proctor. Just under 40 caps, must be a record for this list.
10 Arwel Thomas. Shades of brilliance, mostly awful.
9 Rupert Moon. Thank god we had Howley.
8 Andy Powell. Honestly, very poor player. Would have been incredible if Millennium was rotated 90 degrees.
7 Robin Sowden-Taylor. Tough call, decent player who never reached what was thought of him.
6 Jonathan Thomas.
5 Derwyn Jones. Captain. Awful player, how is he an agent?
4 Will James. Classic Gyppo, brings back painful memories.
3 Darren Morris. Was supposed to be a modern prop.
2 Huw Bennett.
1 Christian Loader. Lucky his only competition was Spencer John.

Over the past 15 or so years.

15 Morgan Stoddart. We have had quite a few poor fullbacks, but most with 1-2 caps. Stoddart has had a few and is poor at FB consistently.
14 Tom James. Quick as hell, but no brain. Needs to stop whinging.
13 Roger Bidgood. I'll try to limit 90's players, as there are too many, but this was necessary.
12 Andy Marinos. How is he the head of SANZAR?
11 Wayne Proctor. Just under 40 caps, must be a record for this list.
10 Arwel Thomas. Shades of brilliance, mostly awful.
9 Rupert Moon. Thank god we had Howley.
8 Andy Powell. Honestly, very poor player. Would have been incredible if Millennium was rotated 90 degrees.
7 Robin Sowden-Taylor. Tough call, decent player who never reached what was thought of him.
6 Jonathan Thomas.
5 Derwyn Jones. Captain. Awful player, how is he an agent?
4 Will James. Classic Gyppo, brings back painful memories.
3 Darren Morris. Was supposed to be a modern prop.
2 Huw Bennett.
1 Christian Loader. Lucky his only competition was Spencer John.

Got to disagree with a few / offer alternatives.

3. Rhys Thomas / Paul Young - Morris was a better scrummager, his weight was an issue but was a good player, Lions capped and all.
10. Matthew Jones / Lee Jarivs
12 / 13. Jason Jones-Hughes / Leigh Davies - bloke had so much potential but threw it away / Jonathan Bryant
14. Tal Selley / Craig Morgan

Got to disagree with a few / offer alternatives.

3. Rhys Thomas / Paul Young - Morris was a better scrummager, his weight was an issue but was a good player, Lions capped and all.
10. Matthew Jones / Lee Jarivs
12 / 13. Jason Jones-Hughes / Leigh Davies - bloke had so much potential but threw it away / Jonathan Bryant
14. Tal Selley / Craig Morgan

I agree on most, but I was trying to avoid one cap wonders (Jones, Jarvis, Bryant, Selley). Definitely Rhys Thomas for Darren Morris. Our budget was considerably better off once he left, both due to salary and catering.

Leigh Davies had plenty of potential, but never made it to where he should of. Gav knew it...

1. Matt Dunning - Hopeless player really should never have made the Wallabies, was a crowd fave though.
2. Adam Frier - Almost as bad as Dunning.
3. Guy Shepardson - I have shirts that are harder to fold than him.

4. Dean Mumm - He sucks.
5. Mark Chisholm - See Dean Mumm.

6. Rocky Elsom - After returning from Europe he's been hopeless, more disappointing than Tim Walsh in the Reds backline last year.
7. Richard Brown - No.
8. Scott Fava - See Richard Brown

9. Sam Cordingly - Not really a bad player, just at the wrong end of his career when he got the call up.
10. Berrick Barnes - Terrible player, kicks far too frequently, plays possum when he goes into contact, if he gets touched around the neck area he rolls around for 10 minutes.

11. Wendell Sailor - They wanted a Lomu, they got a Sailor.
12. Quade Cooper - When he first started for the Wallabies he was playing 12 and he was no good, he is much better now.
13. Ryan Cross - LLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLL can't tackle, can't run, can't catch, can't pass, needs a haircut.
14. Don't know really. However if I ever make the Wallabies I'll be sure to put myself here.
15. We always have quality 15's.

I wouldn't take this too seriously.

You really don't like Berrick do you?

What gives you that idea?

Nah I don't like him, it has nothing to do with him leaving the Reds either, he would be an exceptional player if he didn't kick it every time, he doesn't have a golden boot like he thinks he does, he's not Chris Latham where every kick he does is pure gold. Barnes is a good defender, but tries to milk any form of high tackle way to much.

And the fact when I started school he was my "Year 12 Buddy" and he was a bit of a knob.

Ah Woldog... Chris Latham.. there was some class. You know who I also liked that I reckon never got enough credit: Elton Flatley- great player.

Anyway back to Worst 15s.. here is my NZ one:

Mckintosh - big, tough looking guy, but an absolute cream puff.
Flynn - have just always disliked this douche. Can't throw the ball in either.
Tialata - see Mckintosh.
Ross - not so bad- just not up to it.
Eaton - see Ross
Thorne- Captain Invisible
Robertson- Who? Scott "razor" Robertson... a lucky beneficiary of Kronfeld moving overseas
Broomhall -still cannot understand this to this day - this guy was RUBBISH
Ellis - just crap. A crapper version of Justin Marshall (who IMO was lucky to get as many tests as he did)
Donald- I'm still waiting for an explanation re this fulla
Ralph - Got in strictly because he was on the end of the Canterbury backline when they were in the championship era
Nathan Mauger - ???what did this guy ever do to deserve an AB jersey?? average at BEST
Leon McDonald (as Centre) - just awful as a centre.
Robinson - Read Ralph
Blair - Overrated

- I know, I know - somewhat Canterbury bias, but you have to admit; if it wasn't for the ABs having a Canterbury coach, most of those guys wouldn't have been selected.

Elton Flatley was a legend but everyone "forgot" how good he was for Australian Rugby after 2003, they forget it was him who kept us in it.

Joe Vetiyaki...the walking fridge..the australian rwc panel during the 03rwc had a camera on him during the scotland match and it showed him sitting watching at least 5 minutes of the game after being in a ruck. It was only 6 min into the game.

I'll attempt a Springbok XV (though I understand the OP to ask for an actual team that played a test or two together)

1 Lawrence Sephaka
2 Hanyani Shimange
3 John Smit - because of position
4 Quinton Davids
5 Geo Cronje
6 Tim Dlulane
7 Solly Tsibilika
8 Hilton Lobberts
9 Norman Jordaan
10 Earl Rose
11 Khaya Molatana
12 Wynand Olivier
13 Jorrie Muller
14 McNeil Hendricks
15 Ricardo Laubsher

1. Matt Dunning - Hopeless player really should never have made the Wallabies, was a crowd fave though.
2. Adam Frier - Almost as bad as Dunning.
3. Guy Shepardson - I have shirts that are harder to fold than him.

4. Dean Mumm - He sucks.
5. Mark Chisholm - See Dean Mumm.

6. Rocky Elsom - After returning from Europe he's been hopeless, more disappointing than Tim Walsh in the Reds backline last year.
7. Richard Brown - No.
8. Scott Fava - See Richard Brown

9. Sam Cordingly - Not really a bad player, just at the wrong end of his career when he got the call up.
10. Berrick Barnes - Terrible player, kicks far too frequently, plays possum when he goes into contact, if he gets touched around the neck area he rolls around for 10 minutes.

11. Wendell Sailor - They wanted a Lomu, they got a Sailor.
12. Quade Cooper - When he first started for the Wallabies he was playing 12 and he was no good, he is much better now.
13. Ryan Cross - LLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLL can't tackle, can't run, can't catch, can't pass, needs a haircut.
14. Don't know really. However if I ever make the Wallabies I'll be sure to put myself here.
15. We always have quality 15's.

I wouldn't take this too seriously.

Throw in John Roe, David Croft, Matt Henjak, Julian Huxley, Lloyd Johansson, Hugh McMeniman, Andrew Walker, Morgan Tirinui

Throw in John Roe, David Croft, Matt Henjak, Julian Huxley, Lloyd Johansson, Hugh McMeniman, Andrew Walker, Morgan Tirinui
John Roe was all class as was David Croft, I agree with Henjack he was crap, Lloyd Johansson showed promise but ultimately sucked, Andrew Walker was amazing when he fired but that happened rarely and yes Morgan "turnstile" Turinui was terrible.

bit harsh on Walker maybe, I think the worst South Africa team (as a team) would be the side which lost 53-3 to England in 2002, a few good players (Paulse, van Niekerk etc) but as a team they were ****

15. Greeff
14. Paulse
13. Fleck
12. James
11. Lombard
10. Pretorius
9. Conradie
1. Roux
2. Dalton
3. Carstens
4. Labuschagne
5. Venter
6. Krige
7. Wannenburg
8. van Niekerk
16. van Biljon
17. van der Linde
18. Wentzel
19. Uys
20. Jordaan
21. Jacobs
22. Russell

I also found this on the internet: http://blogofbam.wordpress.com/2008/05/19/the-worst-springbok-team/
again not my work

1. Wessel Roux - Wessel Gerhardus Roux was a pretty big boy. 120 KG big! He played for the Bulls and for the Springboks in a grand total of 3 Tests in 2002. The Boks lost to France 10-30, to Scotland 6-21 ( what a dark day that was), and to England 53-3. No wonder Wessel never got picked again. He was probably bad luck. He shouldn't even be allowed to support the Boks. He's currently 32 and should be in the prime of his career as a prop.
2. Henry Tromp - What a sexy man!! Henry Tromp was picked for 4 Tests in 1996. He won 2 and lost 2. He is unfortunately also famous for murdering a black farm worker together with his dad.
3. Ettienne Fynn - Our man Ettienne played one Test against France, which he lost, and one against Italy where he only came on as a reserve and the rest of his career for The Sharks when he made their team. Versatility you see. Able to switch between Prop and reserve bench. That's what you need.
4. Geo Cronje - Geo started 1 Test and came off the bench for 2 more. Obviously also famous for a racist incident with Quinton Davids where he allegedly refused to share a room with him, which didn't help his career. Geo is currently 27 as he was only 23 when he made his debut. Could so easily still have been playing for the Boks. He was also dirty as hell and should be Captain of the Ugliest Springbok Team too.
5. Marco Wentzel - Another player to debut at 23, Wentzel is currently 29. Played only 1 Test in 2001 and came of the bench for one more. He lost both Tests and represented the Pumas provincially. 2001, 2002 must have been lean years.
6. FC Smit - A 2m tall 115kg giant of a loose forward, FC had the turning circle of an oil tanker. He played and lost his only Test in 1992 to England at Newlands 33-16. And will always be remembered for being tackled by a drunk Free State spectator only wearing his socks as he was on the way to scoring the try that would have put WP in the final in which they would have been overwhelming favourites.
7. Your Choice - The second flanker proved to be the most difficult decision so just to prove how tough it was selecting this team I'm going to leave this position up to you. Please choose your (least) favourite and comment on what reason you dislike that player and why deserves his spot in this team. The options who played one Test are Luke Watson, Hendro Scholtz, Pierre Uys, Anton Leonard, Kabamba Floors, Warren Brosnihan, Warren Britz, Gerrie Britz ,and 2 Tests played are Adriaan Richter, Hendrik Gerber, Robbie Brink, and Andrew Aitken.
8. Mark Andrews - I'm sorry Mark. I know you love reading Blog of Bam and this must come as a shock. Mark Andrews is a legend of South African rugby. For years he was the best in the world. He would be picked in my best Springbok team of all time too. But at lock. He was way too slow to ever be an 8th man. The fact that he played only two games at this position – a World Cup semi and a World Cup Final – makes it even more difficult as everyone knows he won the World Cup at 8th man. So he was selected there and it worked. He wouldn't make a career of it though.
9. Deon de Kock - What? Who? Yep Deon played 2 Tests against rugby giants USA and Italy in 2002. Another member of the Pumas team that made their debuts that year i.e. Marco Wentzel and Pierre Uys. So where did he disappear to?
10. Brent Russell - I have no problem with Russell as a player. I used to be a fan of the Pocket Rocket and believe that the shuffling of positions he featured in disrupted his career to such an extent that he did'nt know where he fit in later on and became a sub for all teams. But he played one test for South Africa at flyhalf and whoever selected him at 10 deserves all the credit for his place in this team. You can't play Australia with Russel at flyhalf… Would you choose him at flyhalf today? I have to say the only reason Jaco vd Westhuizen isn't selected here is because he managed somehow to play 21 Tests for SA at 10 and will always have the world longest dropgoal attempt.
11. Khaya Molatana - Khaya played in one game where they enthrusted him to cope with all the pressure in a evenly poised game against Spain. He played the Test, flew back home and became a presenter/commentator no one understands. I suspect he was pressured into the team by the SABC to provide him with some street cred for his commentating career.
12. Jorrie Muller - 6 Tests and one try. I can't remember much about old Jorrie. He was fast. But I know he pretty much inspired this team. And his was one of the first reserved spots in this team. He had a few matches that could only be described as shockers. Whoever picked him probably enjoyed his company because it couldn't have been for his rugby skills. Even until today, Supersport's website has an award they hand out whenever someone has an absolute shocker of a match and it's called The Jorrie.
13. Danie van Schalkwyk - Weighed 89kg which incidently is the same as… yes you guessed it Jorrie Muller. Played 8 Tests in 1996 and I don't know what happened to him after that.
14. McNeil Hendricks - Played for Boland and later for the Bulls. Was named as a reserve for two Tests in 1998 and even scored a try in one Test. It must have helped that Nic Mallet was Springbok coach after coaching Boland.
15. Ricardo Loubscher - Played in 4 Tests in 2002 and 2003 – all against minor opposition. He started 3 of them and came on as a reserve. Played his provincial rugby for EP and Sharks. The likes of Wales, Scotland, Uruguay and Georgia must have shuddered when they heard Ricardo was selected…

Last edited:
Oh well, seems me question was poorly conveyed. Anyhoo...

Could somone help me with a Scotland XV, in my mind they're all* international superstars

* Except for Nikki Walker, I dinnae like him. Maybe if he were a lock... nah

Completely and utterly random this, been watching the Lions DVD's of 1997-2005 and wondered what's people's worst Lions XV of the professional era.

Here is mine:

1. Tim Payne
2. Andy ***terrell
3. John Hayes
4. Ben Kay / Jeremy Davidson
5. Danny Grewcock
6. Martin Corry
7. Alan Quinlan
8. Andy Powell
9. Harry Ellis
10. Ronan O'Gara
11. Nick Beal
12. Gavin Henson
13. Ollie Smith
14. Tyrone Howe
15. Tim Stimpson

Has to be Ashtons England that got hit by a flu bug on tour in sa , and was without all wasps and leicester players anyway!

Latest posts