• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Fiji's RWC funding threatened by fine

Gah, that'd be absolutely devestating for the players, and fans.

Who would take their place? Uruguay, as highest ranked non-qualifier or the next highest in their qualification group?

I wonder if a team like the US would be able to move pools to take Fijis place and then Uruguay replace the US or something along those lines. Fiji has a third seed position which it earned. It would be a bit unfair for Uruguay to walk directly into that spot after not even qualifying.

Interesting point that, I just wonder would they re-arrange the groups for the teams that qualified to accommodate the team that would take Fiji's place. However I seriously hope that Fiji are not kicked out, be a poor show from their government.

Would arse up a lot of peoples tickets rearranging the groups
And I agree, I hope Fiji do make it

Obviously lets hope this all gets sorted out, or at the very least possible sanctions are delayed until after or not including the RWC.

That being said the only options to replace Fiji if they are kicked out are either Uruguay as the last team eliminated team from the qualifying process or perhaps if there is enough time to quickly organize some sort of playoff game(s) between them and Portugal. The pool is still pretty competetive without Fiji as it was the group of death and you can't mess around with all the game packages fans for other teams have already bought like switching the US or someone else over. Likewise having a group of four would be even more unfair to the rest of the pools than at least putting a weaker fifth squad in the vacated spot.

The team next highest in the Oceania qualifying process was Papua New Guinea and they would be utterly destroyed in a Rugby Union World Cup. Uruguay and Portugal would at least have a competetive game with Namibia and the game has a fan base in those countries that would still follow the tournament and both those teams have been to the highest stage before.

Obviously lets hope this all gets sorted out, or at the very least possible sanctions are delayed until after or not including the RWC.

That being said the only options to replace Fiji if they are kicked out are either Uruguay as the last team eliminated team from the qualifying process or perhaps if there is enough time to quickly organize some sort of playoff game(s) between them and Portugal. The pool is still pretty competetive without Fiji as it was the group of death and you can't mess around with all the game packages fans for other teams have already bought like switching the US or someone else over. Likewise having a group of four would be even more unfair to the rest of the pools than at least putting a weaker fifth squad in the vacated spot.

The team next highest in the Oceania qualifying process was Papua New Guinea and they would be utterly destroyed in a Rugby Union World Cup. Uruguay and Portugal would at least have a competetive game with Namibia and the game has a fan base in those countries that would still follow the tournament and both those teams have been to the highest stage before.

There will be ****** off fans in any eventuality. I was hanging out for Fiji v South Africa in Wellington myself as i love the island brand of rugby. Im bloody glad i didn't get a ticket now though, Uruguay v South Africa doesn't have the same ring to it.

Realistically this must just be an empty threat from the IRB. It would be ridiculous for them to actually follow through with it.

There will be ****** off fans in any eventuality. I was hanging out for Fiji v South Africa in Wellington myself as i love the island brand of rugby. Im bloody glad i didn't get a ticket now though, Uruguay v South Africa doesn't have the same ring to it.

Realistically this must just be an empty threat from the IRB. It would be ridiculous for them to actually follow through with it.

It does when Chavhanga plays...

I'm also hoping to snatch SA v Fiji in Wellington, but hoping it won't sell out for a while.

It does when Chavhanga plays...

I'm also hoping to snatch SA v Fiji in Wellington, but hoping it won't sell out for a while.

Who really wants to see one team just destroying another though? (Unless its the All Blacks against England) I was looking forward to a possible huge upset. Rupeni Caucau back in the house.

Who really wants to see one team just destroying another though? (Unless its the All Blacks against England) I was looking forward to a possible huge upset. Rupeni Caucau back in the house.

I do. Some people say a score line of 110-0 isn't a competition. I disagree. I wan't to crush the opposition, which is why I play against 7 year olds. Some people say it's wrong to spear tackle someone 70kgs lighter than you, but why play if you're not going to win?

I do. Some people say a score line of 110-0 isn't a competition. I disagree. I wan't to crush the opposition, which is why I play against 7 year olds. Some people say it's wrong to spear tackle someone 70kgs lighter than you, but why play if you're not going to win?

I fully know what you mean man. Thats why we play JVille every year

Pfft, I'm ganna steam roll you. Better hope you get a day in the backs ;)

We will see..some say that getting clean stepped and left for dead is even more embarassing anyway..

God i love banter.

We will see..some say that getting clean stepped and left for dead is even more embarassing anyway..

God i love banter.

Haha, I got my first pre season training this Thursday. Time to whip off the ol' Christmas meals.

Haha, I got my first pre season training this Thursday. Time to whip off the ol' Christmas meals.

Can't say im looking forward to running again.. ive just been hitting the gym these holidays

Latest posts