• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

The Movie Thread

Reminds me of Alien Isolation, which is probably the best thing the franchise has produced since Aliens. Will definitely see that in cinema

Saw Dune 2 and upon reflection I really enjoyed it. Think they managed to do a good job fitting the plot into two movies and in more cynical times they def would have stretched it to three. Glad they committed to the trippy weirdness of it all. Not sure they need a third movie to be honest, although they maybe could have driven the 'Jihad' aspect a bit more! Austin Butler really gives his roles full socks, he sounded uncannily like Stellan Skarsgard.

Just watched the Talented Mr Ripley. TBH I thought it was rubbish and directionless, I don't understand why it has such good reviews.

Force awakens, last jedi, Rise, Rogue One, Solo, Indiana Jones and Willow. Then you have all the star wars TV shows etc.
There has been no Willow film but your right about Indy.

The TV shows won't be calculated in the box office calculations. Which is actually why the numbers are crap to work out if Disney has made thier investment back. Because you have to try to work out how many Disney+ subscribers they'd have less without Lucasfilm

There has been no Willow film but your right about Indy.

The TV shows won't be calculated in the box office calculations. Which is actually why the numbers are crap to work out if Disney has made thier investment back. Because you have to try to work out how many Disney+ subscribers they'd have less without Lucasfilm
The willow film was released on Disney+ and then removed due to lack of interest/poor ratings (I guess). But yeah, Disney + does muddle the numbers. Still, feels like it should have done more by now.

"As revealed, the methodology is questionable as Disney based the ROI on the revenue generated by the movies, merchandise, DVDs and Blu Rays rather than the profit they made as it should have done. Using the revenue rather than the profit artificially inflates the result as it doesn't factor in the costs that Disney had to pay out.

Even this wasn't enough for the media giant so it also forecast the revenue that it expected the Star Wars movies, merchandise, DVDs and Blu Rays to generate over a ten-year period and based the calculation on that too. In other words, Disney hasn't actually received the revenue that it used to calculate the return on its investment."

But even then it's some simple math take usual double budget to account for marketing

TFA 2 billion - 700 million
TLJ 1.3 billions - 600 million
ROS 1 billion - 800 million
R1 1 billion - 400 million
SOLO - 400 million - 600 million
INDY 384 million - 800 million

1.3 + 0.7 + 0.2 + 0.6 - 0.2 - 0.4
= 2.2 billion

So its clear they've not made ROI.

Not making a film 5 years apart from Indy but also misteps in just doing Indy or a Han Solo film without a story doesn't help. (I didn't mind Indy but also didn't see the point and was not a cinema watch).

Also real factor here is way way over budgeting the films expecting massive ROI like TFA.

Why? Apart from Rogue one everything else Disney did with Star Wars was a bag of spanners
Movie wise certainly, I think some of the series have been decent. The Mandalorian was good although got worse towards the end and I found the bad batch to be good (I liked the old Clone wars series too). I've also enjoyed Endor.

Movie wise certainly, I think some of the series have been decent. The Mandalorian was good although got worse towards the end and I found the bad batch to be good (I liked the old Clone wars series too). I've also enjoyed Endor.
Issue with tv shows is that now everyone wants a slice of the pie and people now have to pay multiple subscriptions is that people just aren't. Either they only sign up to one or two, or they pirate. I imagine they didn't get the number of subscribers they hoped.

Issue with tv shows is that now everyone wants a slice of the pie and people now have to pay multiple subscriptions is that people just aren't. Either they only sign up to one or two, or they pirate. I imagine they didn't get the number of subscribers they hoped.
We touched on this in the music thread, but streaming seems to be very good for discovering, but completely void of any real cultural relevance or impact like previous generations. There used to be a big push to make these releases feel like an "event" or unmissable. Now they're just dumped onto a streaming platform and forgotten about fairly quickly. The Red Letter Media guys may have been half joking, but they're right with the "endless trash" comment and the "don't ask questions. Just consume product and get excited for next product"

We touched on this in the music thread, but streaming seems to be very good for discovering, but completely void of any real cultural relevance or impact like previous generations. There used to be a big push to make these releases feel like an "event" or unmissable. Now they're just dumped onto a streaming platform and forgotten about fairly quickly. The Red Letter Media guys may have been half joking, but they're right with the "endless trash" comment and the "don't ask questions. Just consume product and get excited for next product"
Amazon failed with Fallout but it does appear with Disney+ and HBO they are currently leaning back to the one per week system. Even if the first episode is extra long. Paramount are doing well with that for Star Trek as well.

The drop it all model appears to be failing. Nothing is staying in thr cultural zeitgeist long enough if it does. And more importantly as we ove onto the next new things the old thing no matter its quality get quickly forgotten.

I have friend who save to binge but I just don't find I have the time for that.

Also mich like most things are actually worse now takes I don't have much tike for it. Succession, Ted Lasso, Rogue One, Shogun, The Last of Us. Have all been highly acclaimed stuff in past half decade so it is getting produced and made.

We're also living post actors/writers strikes and COVID I imagine that's slowed a lot of things down. And as production usually takes a couple years when something is first started up it's likely taking a greater impact.

Amazon failed with Fallout but it does appear with Disney+ and HBO they are currently leaning back to the one per week system. Even if the first episode is extra long. Paramount are doing well with that for Star Trek as well.

The drop it all model appears to be failing. Nothing is staying in thr cultural zeitgeist long enough if it does. And more importantly as we ove onto the next new things the old thing no matter its quality get quickly forgotten.

I have friend who save to binge but I just don't find I have the time for that.

Also mich like most things are actually worse now takes I don't have much tike for it. Succession, Ted Lasso, Rogue One, Shogun, The Last of Us. Have all been highly acclaimed stuff in past half decade so it is getting produced and made.

We're also living post actors/writers strikes and COVID I imagine that's slowed a lot of things down. And as production usually takes a couple years when something is first started up it's likely taking a greater impact.
I kinda feel like the creative industries needed to slow down. With the race for streaming services we saw a huge increase in production and none of it was given time to breathe during and after the release. We've ended up with a lot of rushed and questionable quality media as a result. From what I hear, like every industry, they're making huge cutbacks now and a lot less is getting the go ahead. We'll have to see if it works.

I have heard the younger generations are less interested in shows/films now and are watching more tiktok style media instead.

I have heard the younger generations are less interested in shows/films now and are watching more tiktok style media instead.
I think this is less likely than it sounds.

I remember in the 90's MTV and things like Baz Luhrmann's Romeo+Juliet were meant to rot our mind.

My generation likes long form you tube video and prestige drama usually well over an hour long and Oppenheimer a 3 hour biopic just made stupid money. And we've just discussed dropping entire TV shows at once.

I think its just standard kids like shorter stuff but as they get older they prefer longer stuff.

Latest posts