United Rugby Shield - New URC Expansion Competition Concept

danielnell15

Academy Player
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Boland Kavaliers
United Rugby Shield Logo.jpg

Martin Anayi & World Rugby - please take note...

The United Rugby Shield
(URS) would be a standalone expansion league to the URC that would be made up of club franchises from both the Northern & Southern Hemispheres. It's objective would be a high performance pathway competition for both developed Tier 1 and developing Tier 2 nations as well as to grow and expand the global reach of the United Rugby brand to new exciting territories/destinations and rugby fans alike.

The league would consist of two groups of 6 teams (total 12 teams)

URS Competition Format:

Northern Group: (Group A)

1) Aberdeen Rugby (Scotland)
2) Roma Praetorians (Italy)
3) Tbilisi Black Lion (Georgia)
4) Barcelona Diables Rugby (Spain)
5) London Irish (England)
6) Wasps Rugby (England)

Southern Group: (Group B)
1) Toyota Cheetahs (RSA)
2) Airlink Pumas (RSA)
3) Suzuki Griquas (RSA)
4) Sanlam Cavaliers (RSA)
5) Jaguares (based in Cape Town)
6) Windhoek Rugby (Namibia)

(an additional 4no. teams could be added to the comp in the future once established from Spain (Madrid), Portugal, Kenya & RSA)

Each team would play each other in their own group twice and play teams once each from the other group. The top team ranked in each of the two groups at the end of the season plays in the grand final.

EPCR Challenge Cup Qualification:

The two finalist of the URS would automatically gain entry into the EPCR Challenge Cup the following season. If the EPCR would expand potentially by a further 2 teams from its current format, an additional 2 URS teams ranked 2nd in each group would also gain qualification. (Total 4no. EPCR qualification spots)

No URC promotion / relegation:

With the financial/commercial carrot of EPCR Qualification there would be no need for any promotion/ relegation with the flagship URC competition. The URS would run in parallel with the URC with the potential of having some URS games played at the same matchday venues as URC fixtures for a cross league fan engagement.( ie curtain raisers)

Please let me know your thoughts on this new club franchise competition concept. Hopefully something of the sort would be feasible and sponsors/ broadcasters would be interested in the product. I think the quality of the comp over time would improve and I personally would be really keen on watching these teams play each other.

Have a great day!

Past articles on this subject:

Last edited:
Would still need the permission of the host unions - including the RFU as you're including 2 English teams. Which means that it's a non-starter as far as that bit is concerned.
Last thing the EPRC needs is expansion - quite the opposite in fact, already far too many teams, and too weird a format (despite being a damned sight better than the last couple of years).

Would still need the permission of the host unions - including the RFU as you're including 2 English teams. Which means that it's a non-starter as far as that bit is concerned.
Last thing the EPRC needs is expansion - quite the opposite in fact, already far too many teams, and too weird a format (despite being a damned sight better than the last couple of years).
Fair point, RFU would need to underwrite the two English teams participation (which both are currently in limbo at this point due to recent liquidation) However, would you rather see the Wasps and London Irish back competing for their fans or lost forever. I think this comp would be their only hope to be honest as the GP is a closed shop now.

What would I rather? or what has an actual chance of happening?
The two are not the same.

I thought the Cheetahs should have been one of the four SA teams that were added to URC a few years ago. So I like this idea. đź‘Ť

View attachment 19423

Martin Anayi & World Rugby - please take note...

The United Rugby Shield
(URS) would be a standalone expansion league to the URC that would be made up of club franchises from both the Northern & Southern Hemispheres. It's objective would be a high performance pathway competition for both developed Tier 1 and developing Tier 2 nations as well as to grow and expand the global reach of the United Rugby brand to new exciting territories/destinations and rugby fans alike.

The league would consist of two groups of 6 teams (total 12 teams)

URS Competition Format:

Northern Group: (Group A)

1) Aberdeen Rugby (Scotland)
2) Roma Praetorians (Italy)
3) Tbilisi Black Lion (Georgia)
4) Barcelona Diables Rugby (Spain)
5) London Irish (England)
6) Wasps Rugby (England)

Southern Group: (Group B)
1) Toyota Cheetahs (RSA)
2) Airlink Pumas (RSA)
3) Suzuki Griquas (RSA)
4) Sanlam Cavaliers (RSA)
5) Jaguares (based in Cape Town)
6) Windhoek Rugby (Namibia)

(an additional 4no. teams could be added to the comp in the future once established from Spain (Madrid), Portugal, Kenya & RSA)

Each team would play each other in their own group twice and play teams once each from the other group. The top team ranked in each of the two groups at the end of the season plays in the grand final.

EPCR Challenge Cup Qualification:

The two finalist of the URS would automatically gain entry into the EPCR Challenge Cup the following season. If the EPCR would expand potentially by a further 2 teams from its current format, an additional 2 URS teams ranked 2nd in each group would also gain qualification. (Total 4no. EPCR qualification spots)

No URC promotion / relegation:

With the financial/commercial carrot of EPCR Qualification there would be no need for any promotion/ relegation with the flagship URC competition. The URS would run in parallel with the URC with the potential of having some URS games played at the same matchday venues as URC fixtures for a cross league fan engagement.( ie curtain raisers)

Please let me know your thoughts on this new club franchise competition concept. Hopefully something of the sort would be feasible and sponsors/ broadcasters would be interested in the product. I think the quality of the comp over time would improve and I personally would be really keen on watching these teams play each other.

Have a great day!

Past articles on this subject:

Why have the Diables over Iberians?
Drop out Wasps and Irish and add in Iberians and Bucharest Wolves might be more appropriate.
Also, if SRU were to add another team, it would probably be closer to Glasgow and Edinburgh, so development players could get game time.
The Southern Knight playing in the Border area might be a shout.

I couldnt care less if I'm being totally honest.

I'm a season ticket holder and barely care about the URC.

I would like to see a number of European nations get club access to leagues though, the creation of a URC 2 should focus on that IMHO

I would like to see a number of European nations get club access to leagues though, the creation of a URC 2 should focus on that IMHO
10000000% this,

If this idea did get off the ground then EPCR spots should be limited to the lower level European sides - it's already a travesty that they allowed Cheetahs to leap frog their way in

10000000% this,

If this idea did get off the ground then EPCR spots should be limited to the lower level European sides - it's already a travesty that they allowed Cheetahs to leap frog their way in
I disagree, the Cheetahs didn't deserve losing out on a spot in the URC. Having one Northern and one Southern team from the URS qualify for EPCR would be fair in my opinion.

European Professional Club Rugby is a business, and teams who can bring along with them television viewers from large rugby markets like RSA will be the most viable and sustainable in the long term. Cheetahs would tick that box, and they are also competitive on the field. That's exactly the reason why they are in EPCR, not because we feel sorry for them.

I do think the URS would be the best way for larger potentional rugby markets in more wealthy Tier 2 nations such as Spain maybe Portugal to develop a profesional team that can compete against Tier 1 clubs/ franchises.

didn't deserve losing out on a spot in the URC
That's got nothing to do with the EPRC, though
Why should Italian/Spanish/Romanian/Georgian etc. sides miss out because the URC couldn't shoe horn in any more sides?

Who said those teams you mentioned wouldn't miss out? There's a team from Italy, Georgia, Spain & maybe even Portugal on that list, if they are good enough and can create a competive team they get a shot at playing EPCR based on merit. Not just because they are geographically privileged.

Who said those teams you mentioned wouldn't miss out?
They already have missed out because of South African inclusion, the Cheetah's took their spot - any further inclusion should be solely European sides to make up for that

Latest posts