URC 2023/24 - Round 17

Leonormous Boozer

Fat Boi
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
Things are getting spicy and fans are getting hype. Let's get this started early.

A9D0F4DB-1BC5-4927-90C7-41FCEFAAC5C4.jpeg

Top 4 all have challenges from teams fighting for playoffs and only the Bulls are at home. Connacht v Stormers seems pivotal also. Best URC round of the year so far arguably.

Things are getting spicy and fans are getting hype. Let's get this started early.

View attachment 19822

Top 4 all have challenges from teams fighting for playoffs and only the Bulls are at home. Connacht v Stormers seems pivotal also. Best URC round of the year so far arguably.
Alot of pivots.
As mentioned in Rd 16. Ulster are fully targetting this one. At home vs a mixed Leinster team. They always give a performance against Leinster.
Richie Murphy first game as permanent coach.
Edinburgh vs Munster is a game where we need the win and I think Edinburgh will although they know the Treviso game will be vital to in Italy but how vital won't be known until Challenge cup. Should be a great game.
Bulls should be routine I feel.
Ospreys and Dragons could easily just send in a result and not play the game and most wouldn't have noticed.
Connacht vs Stormers is interesting as Connacht seem to have clocked off for the year.
Sharks vs Cardiff will be an interesting 1 to watch I feel.
Lions vs Glasgow. This Lions team at home can throw spanner in the works.

Ulster will be seriously gunning for this and Leinster will probably send a mixed bag. Don't think they will go full second choice though.

I think we should be favorites in Edinburgh, but it can be a very awkward fixture.

Glasgow v Lions is a big one, hoping the Lion can pick them off.

We'll beat Ulster I'm pretty sure. Owe them one.

Don't think Munster will breeze by Edinburgh but expect them to win. TBP will be the measure of success.

Glasgow have the toughest challenge.

We won't ease past Edinburgh. We have an iffy record of Friday nights there. Would happily take a 3-0 win now.
I don't think 4 points is bad.

Glasgow I think could win but the Lions are very tricky it a game any income I can see.

Ulster vs Leinster. - A lot of moving variables. Leinster won't rest first 23 but how many will they rest? Then of the ones they don't rest how long will they be risked. Also they have likes of Ringrose, Ryan and Keenan potentially back but again what is the Risk/Reward balance.
Ulster then always perform here in this fixture. Add in it's the final fixture in Belfast for the season and Richie Murphy first game as permanent head coach. Alot of variable to argue for both teams

Ryan, Keenan and Connors all fit, Ringrose is week to week which in Leinster fitness updates means he's lost a limb.

Ryan, Keenan and Connors all fit, Ringrose is week to week which in Leinster fitness updates means he's lost a limb.
If I had to choose two of the three it'd be Keenan and Ryan but Ringrose is always a loss.

Connors brings 6/2 into play and with the reluctance to bring HB on for Ross I think it'll be likely for the final.

And yes, as much as we need to win in Ravenhill my mind is firmly on London.

Connacht vs Stormers is interesting as Connacht seem to have clocked off for the year.
Similarly we have been the most hot and cold team in terms of pitching up. Lost at home to Ospreys a couple of weeks ago, and last weekend we were losing for 60 minutes and then pulled some magic out for it to look like a convincing win on the scoreboard against Scarlets.

It will be a pretty critical game though.

That is it like it isn't a normal week. Stormers coming to Galway and to a focussed Connacht and I back Connacht to sneak it but weather a bit warmer and Connacht not fully there. Stormers could turn up any way too.

Leinster this week it hard to tell like even if they played likes of Ryan, Keenan and other potential starters. They will be nervy putting them in to a Derby game where injuries can occur. Equally any player in those scenarios subconsciously will be holding back slightly as next week is massive for them. I'd even go as far as to say lads that know they have no shot at 23 next week probably offer more this week.

suggestions in the media that leinster will go "strong" this weekend.
Interesting. I kind of suspected they would go 50/50 with all of their returning injured players included plus a few more. If I am a Leinster fan though I'd be way more comfortable with going strong for this and building momentum for Europe.

On Munster, I wonder if we will continue to persist with the strong bench. Probably a case if it it ain't broke don't fix it for now, and it probably helps cut guys like Coombes' minutes a bit too.

Interesting. I kind of suspected they would go 50/50 with all of their returning injured players included plus a few more. If I am a Leinster fan though I'd be way more comfortable with going strong for this and building momentum for Europe.

On Munster, I wonder if we will continue to persist with the strong bench. Probably a case if it it ain't broke don't fix it for now, and it probably helps cut guys like Coombes' minutes a bit too.
We have rotation in plans. But will be keeping it fairly strong. We need to win. Coombes has benefited from that explosiveness off the bench while sparing him as he has a ton of mileage on the clock from the winter months.

On Leinster it kind of a catch 22. Go strong this week and lose next week it will be said they should have eased a bit this week. Go soft this week and lose next week and well again should have done opposite. Win next week and whatever decision was made will be the right 1.
Would expect likes of James Ryan to go for majority of game to get the lungs blowing.

But equally I thought they'd be weary of the pitch. A 4g pitch is alot higher risk of injury.
I don't think I'd be risking likes of JGP, Lowe, Furlong and Doris as they are all pivotal cogs. The rest I suppose are replaceable.

Ulster mangled by key injuries. Would take an effort and a half for them to get a result Saturday / qualify for Europe.
I don't disagree more would give them a chance on fact they are desperate and this is the typical game they do perform.
And more Leinster can spin it anyway in the media but subconsciously they will be clued on next week so may take eye off the ball.
Now if they put out a 2nd team who know they won't be on team/squad next week then I'd expect they win as Leinster reserves beat Ulster.
Not saying Leinster are not professional or will not treat the game with respect, just it is hard for any club to double focus which is why history would show the record of teams doing a double or performing in the week after/before a final can be poor.

The challenges of fighting on two fronts aren't undocumented.

See how Neinaber approaches it and go from there. Leinster could play their best game against Toulouse and lose (and vice versa vis a vis Toulouse) so all a bit moot.

100% on that as I said earlier Whatever Leinster do this week, win next week and they are genius, lose and should have done the alternative.

On our front bigTom and Jack came through today good.

I think Ulster capping their season with a morale sapping defeat at home in a huge game against a rival for them would be even more on brand than Leinster getting done in a late season rivalry they didn't bother to show up for..... usually Connacht

Interesting team. Mostly genuine 2s guys. Wonder if we're looking at the 6/2 next week with Jimmy covering the backs from wing and HB on the bench.

Would be harsh on Larmour after the season he's had but Jimmys the better player by a decent amount.

Interesting team. Mostly genuine 2s guys. Wonder if we're looking at the 6/2 next week with Jimmy covering the backs from wing and HB on the bench.

Would be harsh on Larmour after the season he's had but Jimmys the better player by a decent amount.

Harsh on Frawley also. Don't think harry has done enough to push him off the bench. Agree with you on JOB v Larmour though. Harsh on Larmour as you say, but I think we need more pace in the team and Lowe isn't going anywhere

Latest posts