• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What makes the current Ireland squad so good?

SJC

Academy Player
Hi all, I hope you're all doing well!

After some seriously impressive performances during the Six Nations Ireland certainly left an impression on the rugby world. So much so that it got me thinking about why their squad is so strong at the moment.

So I made this short video breaking down and analysing some of the players within the current squad. Please feel free to give it a watch and hopefully, it'll make you laugh a bit but I understand it won't be everyones cup of tea!

Do you think Ireland has one of the best squads in world rugby? Who do you think is their most important player?

I'd love to discuss it below!:nod:

Thanks!

I really don't think Ireland left any impression at the World Cup apart from chokers.

I'm not even trying to be a wind up, they didn't produce anything special at the World Cup when it mattered and in the 6 nations showed that they are a good team, not a great team.

I think a good discussion point would be, does their reliance on Leinster players help them in the short term but hinder them in the long term by really limiting their overall diversity and mental stability as an Ireland team and limit talent identification.

I think a good discussion point would be, does their reliance on Leinster players help them in the short term but hinder them in the long term by really limiting their overall diversity and mental stability as an Ireland team and limit talent identification.
No is the quick and easy answer to this.

The current trend started around 2011, Ireland have gone from strength to strength to strength in this time to the point that that 14 year period is probably more successful that the 120 years before.

The biggest difference between beating South Africa in the World Cup and losing to NZ was that James Ryan was injured. The biggest difference between dominating La Rochelle in the first 25 mins of last years Heineken Cup final and going on to lose was that James Ryan got injured. The two away games in this 6nations were different because James Ryan and Garry Ringrose were injured.

Mental stability is a Leinster problem (although two big wins without Ryan and Ringrose hopefully indicates growth here) and this has translated to Ireland. Both are short on leaders (and POM for me is a great when you're winning type of leader, Beirne is the better of the two in the ****).

It'd be great if the other provinces could contribute more and signs are that Munster and Connacht will in the coming years but Leinster absolutely aren't the problem stopping Ireland break the glass ceiling to "great" right now.

Out of England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales. You don't seem to hear the IRFU mention money much. The other three it's the top subject.

Out of England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales. You don't seem to hear the IRFU mention money much. The other three it's the top subject.
Because they're loaded, players are offered tax breaks for staying in Ireland and Dublin itself is one big tax shelter...

Let's not pretend most rugby governing bodies are based in Dublin for the weather.

There is also the argument of access to governing bodies.

Also the JGP effect, in which 30 year old journeyman become world beaters overnight lol.

But on a slightly more serious note, unity is a big issue. Regions that make sense, have history and fanbases, owned by a governing body, with distribution and decisions based on what's best for Irish rugby...

Instead of a governing body trying to kill the game off at every level.

Latest posts