• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

100 metres - Gatlin wins/UK crowd boos

Bolt's handled his retirement as well as Fergie did, first time round.

But he won't come back, his race is run (sorry!) He won't get any better, he's got nothing to prove and has zillions in the bank. Carrying on could only erode his legacy.

He's younger than Gatlin, but he's been in the spotlight for half his life after winning the world juniors at 15 against kids 3 or 4 years older. Sure he plays up to the public image, but years of not being able to fart without it being on the front page has to be pretty wearing.

The Jamaican track record (sorry again!) isn't great, but I genuinely think he's clean. He's a once in a generation genetic freak who rewrote the rules of his sport, just like Lomu did.

Bollicks, I really ballsed that up didn't I? I'd love to blame autocorrect but .... no. Just good old-fashioned stupidity I'm afraid

Haha, just pulling your leg, I knew who you meant.
Bolt's handled his retirement as well as Fergie did, first time round.

But he won't come back, his race is run (sorry!) He won't get any better, he's got nothing to prove and has zillions in the bank. Carrying on could only erode his legacy.

He's younger than Gatlin, but he's been in the spotlight for half his life after winning the world juniors at 15 against kids 3 or 4 years older. Sure he plays up to the public image, but years of not being able to fart without it being on the front page has to be pretty wearing.

The Jamaican track record (sorry again!) isn't great, but I genuinely think he's clean. He's a once in a generation genetic freak who rewrote the rules of his sport, just like Lomu did.

You may well be right OH. But there are many a Great sportsman who have retired, only to come back when they realise how much they miss the limelight and being the best in the world at something. It's not easy to just totally switch off from that. Examples include Michael Jordon (thinking he could hack it in baseball), Phelps after London 2012 and even the infamous quote by Redgrave after winning his 4th gold in Atlanta (If anyone sees me near a boat they have my permission to shoot me) only to reappear in Sydney and that was after being diagnosed with Diabetes. These great sportsman are not ordinary people like you and me.

I think right now Bolt doesn't enjoy the training, may be suffering injuries and as you said has achieved everything he wants to achieve in the sport, but if his post Athletics life is dull and not as fulfilling, then I would not be surprised in the bit if in a couple of years time he does come back to race to still prove he is the best.

Haha, just pulling your leg, I knew who you meant.

I definitely know his name, had been whatsapping about him with no issues all day - I honestly think because it's TRF and I'm *****ing about someone I'm just conditioned to write "Gatland" ... it just feels right y'know?!

You mentioned Michael Jordan, I could see Bolt following a similar path and trying to make it in a different sport. Apparently he's a very good fast bowler (not surprised given his build, athleticism and cultural background), and a rabid football fan too. Wouldn't be surprised to see him give one or t'other a go.

I definitely know his name, had been whatsapping about him with no issues all day - I honestly think because it's TRF and I'm *****ing about someone I'm just conditioned to write "Gatland" ... it just feels right y'know?!

You mentioned Michael Jordan, I could see Bolt following a similar path and trying to make it in a different sport. Apparently he's a very good fast bowler (not surprised given his build, athleticism and cultural background), and a rabid football fan too. Wouldn't be surprised to see him give one or t'other a go.

Cricket - yeah read he was decent fast paced bowler before he concentrated on track. He's mentioned playing for Man U, but that is surely just fantasy. He may well have the pace, but not the footballing skills. Ah well time will tell, he's also mentioned acting - can see him as a Fast and Furious extra, or something along those lines. No need for any acting skills.

The BBC in general, and Steve Cram in particular are hypocrites on this topic. Within 24hrs Cram asked if a women's 400m runner (confirmed doper) would get booed when she was announced at the start of the race. I think he was secretly hoping she would.

Within a minute he'd gone on to mention confirmed British doper Christine Ohorugu, but with no mention to her doping past. Simply that she's beaten another runner in the field previously. He'll have commentated on Ohurugu on the past and celebrated her success. Be consistent in your condemnation (my preference) or shut the heck up.

Personally I'd like all previous confirmed dopers to have an asterix next to their name, it would aid my interest in a race.

Gatlin is offensive because he has maintained his level post ban. He used to be a good 60m sprinter but was a nobody at 100m. Then he leaps in performance at 100m and 200m, gets caught, then maintains performance levels post ban. This tournament is the only one he has slowed down at, but about time, he's 35!

Bolt appears to be a genuinely top class human being, but with Blake, Powell and Frater all running at the same time and all being busted I can't give him the benefit of the doubt. Particularly if he used the same coach as any of these busted runners.

I like road cycling and although there is doubtless plenty cheating still going on there, I find it insulting how much track and field (and swimming and tennis) seem to get a free pass compared to cycling. Cycling tries far harder than these other sports in my opinion to root out the cheats.

Here endeth my stream of consciousness.

Ohorugu is not 'confirmed doper' she missed 3 tests out of competition tests within a certain window but she had passed tests 9 days before and 3 days after her final fail to be tested.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christine_Ohuruogu#Competition_suspension
She received a 1 year ban and rightly so but quashed the BOA Olympic Ban stance.

I wish people would get their bloody facts straight before using phrases like that. You can't call her a confirmed doper because she has never been caught doping.

Ohorugu is not 'confirmed doper' she missed 3 tests out of competition tests within a certain window but she had passed tests 9 days before and 3 days after her final fail to be tested.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christine_Ohuruogu#Competition_suspension
She received a 1 year ban and rightly so but quashed the BOA Olympic Ban stance.

I wish people would get their bloody facts straight before using phrases like that. You can't call her a confirmed doper because she has never been caught doping.

I apologise for the choice of phrase. "Confirmed suspension for failure to adhere anti-doping regulations". The point stands.

But surely you can see there's a huge gulf in difference between Gatlin who's been banned twice for being caught in taking Performance Enhaching Drugs and the second time wasn't just dipping his toes into it he was on a full on regime. And someone being banned for a technicality in the WADA rules but has always tested fine and was tested okay just over a week before and under half a week.

I think its harsh to say Cram in incosistent when the offences are world apart. I certainly remember at the time he was very disparaging of Christine missing that third drugs test and she deservedly got a ban.

If she had been subsquently been caught of actual doping I think it might be fair to call Cram a hypocrit but in this instance I don't think the two offences measure up enough not to have opposiing views on how the athlete should be treated.

An example in this very case Gatlin wasn't villified after his first ban.

I've no problem with him serving his ban and competing again (and winning) there has to be a level on any charge where someone deserves to come back. If he'd been twice banned as a professional (the first ban was before he was pro and was quashed) he should of served a life ban. 4 years however was entirely reasonable especially as he then acted as whistle blower.

I prefer to see a hard line with drug cheats. For actual performance enhancing drugs, or their masking agents;

1st offence - 5 years banned.

2nd offence - Banned for life (with no way back back into the sport or any other sport that uses WADA)

In both cases, all of the athlete's times, distances, performance records and medals are wiped no matter when they were set or won.

I, too, would love him to be clean.

I imagine they will keep testing his samples, they've caught some high profile cheaters from the last few Olympic games recently by testing old samples.

His comments about using them to level the playing field are interesting. How some athletes have naturally high testosterone levels so everyone else is at a disadvantage and juices to catch up.

I have no sympathy for this view. Its a matter of "them's the breaks" IMO. If your physiology isn't good enough to compete, accept your limitations or find another line of work.

I have always been very interested in astronomy and space science. I would love to have been an astrophysicist or an aerospace engineer, and worked on projects like MSL (Mars Science Laboratory, a.k.a. the Curiosity rover). Unfortunately, while I consider myself to be quite smart, I was simply not smart enough to cope with the complex mathematics required to achieve a Masters degree in Astrophysics or Aerospace Engineering. I had to set my sight lower and settle for a Diploma in Aeronautical Engineering... that's life!

Last edited:
If you get caught once I'd go with a life ban.
OUT !!
Coaches as well.
OUT !!
Everything wiped.

Send a single simple message.

Gatlin's first ban was for adderall, are we gonna start banning 75% of American college students for five years?

I have to confess having done a bit of reading about the first ban I was very harsh on him. I didn't realise but it seems almost universally agreed that it was a genuine mistake from his ADHD medication - not a doping violation. So it isn't fair or accurate to call him a "two time drug cheat"

He is still a drug cheat though, fundamentally haven't changed my opinion of him

Latest posts