• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

1st TEST: South Africa v Lions

the sky sports presenters said people like byrne to follow in mighty footsteps. not really mighty when they get beaten bad.

nonsense this is a fact.

I have to admit, I have mixed feelings about the game. I love the Bokke and I support them fully but I really feel they are bloody lucky to have won this game. I'm not sure whether they deserved to have won though.

I blame PdV like every good Bok supporter should :p

The BI's backline looked deadly, I'm worried about the fitness of the Bokke though...

I have to agree with Sir Speedy, you support your country through thick and thin, I never stopped supporting the Bokke when PdV became coach, or when we lost to NZ 19-0 *shudder* *cringe* its makes the moment you win so much sweeter and so much more special.

I predict a ***ANIC much on Saturday.

EDIT: Steynboi the presenter might not have meant the 2005 team?

@ Aeros i guess your right but i have a real disliking to those commentators who said steyn gets drop goals 1 out of 7 attempts i hold a vendetta now :mad:

As much as I like Steyn, he really is an awesome player!

It is true he doesn't succeed a lot, but It seems his learning to stop trying after he failed the first one in a match.

I'd say his got a... 40% success rate?

Not bad for 50m + drop goals.

Don't start the Steyn kicking thing again steynboi :p

Anyway, I don't agree with the Boks fans suggesting the Lions got back into that match because PvD replaced players. The Lions got back into that match when Adam Jones came on and not only got parity at scrum time, but started dominating (and yes the first two of his scums was against the Beast). Vickery gave away what, 9, 12 points? But more than that, he stopped the lions getting any momentum and gave it all to the boks. And still after all that the Lions still created a couple chances which 9 times out of 10 would have resulted in tries (unbelievable effort from DeVillers to prevent the first one though). How different would that first half, and the entire match would have been if Jones, Murray or anybody started instead of Vickery?

Also, what a prick of a ref to overrule the 4th official like that. The ball was held up, therefore it had to be an attacking scrum 5.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (steynboi @ Jun 20 2009, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
@ Aeros i guess your right but i have a real disliking to those commentators who said steyn gets drop goals 1 out of 7 attempts i hold a vendetta now :mad:[/b]

You really are spouting some rubbish in this thread.

It seems you take everything said on television as gospel truth and unquesitonable fact.The comment about Steyn was meant to illustrate that for every 50m wonder strike, there are plenty of stinkers. Case in point during the match today where he lashed a long range effort that barely got off the ground.

As for your views on the British Lions, you must be very new to the sport, or just have no idea of the tradition that accompanies the tours.

Dullonien you're probably right, but it would have been interesting to see what would have happened. You have to agree that PdV ****ed up with those subs.

I was suprised by our rolling mauls, you cant blame Vickery for that can you?

These bloody "What iffs" I think we should go complain to Fate or something :p

The thing with Steyn is, sometimes you hate him, sometimes you love him. If we can get him to play only good and not bad he would be a legendary player, lets hope he settles in France.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Jun 21 2009, 08:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
If the SA defence was so much better why did the Lions score more tries and break the line way more, as well as waste try scoring chances with poor finishing. (Monye and Phillips)

If Adam Jones had started, the Lions would have won. Fact.[/b]

If my aunty had balls she would be my uncle................ fact!! Your team lost fair and square suck it up and move on already. Never thought I would see bleating like this from an Irishman.

Weird thread. Kinda expected it though.

Boks won, fair and square. Dont think anyone is debating that.

The pack (not just Vickery) were nowhere near good enough. Vickery is the obvious scapegoat but the lineout was just as bad, their defense of the maul was pathetic, and they didnt get quick ball until the second half. I dont think anyone of the Lions fans can debate that we were bullied up front for the first 30-40 minutes. Thats where the game was lost.

I dont believe the subs were the catalyst though. The Lions started to come into it earlier then that, and the subs were probably the right call to get fresh legs into the game. DeVilliers didnt f*** up, the Boks just ran out of steam. Wont happen next week.

Incidently, the ref overruled the TMO (Monye's dissallowed try) once the TMO stated the ball was carried over, held up, then went out of play from the tackle. The 22 was probably the right call.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aeros @ Jun 20 2009, 10:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Dullonien you're probably right, but it would have been interesting to see what would have happened. You have to agree that PdV ****ed up with those subs.

I was suprised by our rolling mauls, you cant blame Vickery for that can you?

These bloody "What iffs" I think we should go complain to Fate or something :p

The thing with Steyn is, sometimes you hate him, sometimes you love him. If we can get him to play only good and not bad he would be a legendary player, lets hope he settles in France.[/b]

Yeh I understand what your saying. The game would have been completely different, but the Lions might still have lost. It's just annoying to see one aspect of the game **** us up so badly, especially when it was obvious to everyone after 15-20 min (or even after the first scrum) that Vickey needed to come off. What was McGeegan thinking, or was it just his Wasps bias showing through? Gwyn Jones said on the S4C commentary when Vickery finally got hauled off: 'That's a career ending performance'. He might be right!

The Boks rolling maul was awesome (anyone else notice that Wallace wasn't getting stuck in though, was just p*ssyfooting on the side), and it's something the Lions need to combat or the Boks will kill us in that aspect instead of the scrum next sat.

I've gotta admit, I'm not a Steyn fan. Awesome tallent, huge boot, but he really needs to stop these stupid drop goal attempts. But I can see why Steynboi etc. are big fans, he really has all the potential to become a great player, let's hope we get to see more of it (not next sat though :p).

Originally posted by Logorreah
Incidently, the ref overruled the TMO (Monye's dissallowed try) once the TMO stated the ball was carried over, held up, then went out of play from the tackle. The 22 was probably the right call.
But the fact DeVillers chucked the ball over the dead ball line should have made no difference. Monye was held up, and that's the end of it, in a similar way first offence with knock ons etc stand. It was all down to poor communication, but I understood what the TMO was trying to say, just didn't use great words. The ref shouldn't of overruled, he should have trusted that another ref watching slow mo replays etc. should make the right decision!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Jun 20 2009, 10:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Don't start the Steyn kicking thing again steynboi :p

Anyway, I don't agree with the Boks fans suggesting the Lions got back into that match because PvD replaced players. The Lions got back into that match when Adam Jones came on and not only got parity at scrum time, but started dominating (and yes the first two of his scums was against the Beast). Vickery gave away what, 9, 12 points? But more than that, he stopped the lions getting any momentum and gave it all to the boks. And still after all that the Lions still created a couple chances which 9 times out of 10 would have resulted in tries (unbelievable effort from DeVillers to prevent the first one though). How different would that first half, and the entire match would have been if Jones, Murray or anybody started instead of Vickery?

Also, what a prick of a ref to overrule the 4th official like that. The ball was held up, therefore it had to be an attacking scrum 5.[/b]

ha dont worry i accept steyn has quesitonable accuracy at times :).

I think the Lions would have won this game pretty easily with a decent front row right from the outset... Do Vickery and Mears seriously consider appearing in public again?...
What an enormous performance by Roberts!!!
Can't wait for the second test...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Jun 20 2009, 11:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
anyone else notice that Wallace wasn't getting stuck in though, was just p*ssyfooting on the side[/b]
He had to stay out to tackle the break from the rear. Pointless considering the maul was retreating at a run, but thats the system the defensive coach sets out. Each man has his role.

You could be right on the DeVilliers one but if the ref's are confused I'm certainly not going to sit here and state it either way.

Its mad though when you think back on how close they were time and time again to scoring. Given the shite quality of the ball they received they must have clocked up 6-7 clean linebreaks. Impressive back play considering they were going backwards most of the game.

Well done Springboks on the victory! Well done Lions on the magnificent comeback. Was an entertaining game and I enjoyed the physicality of it! Just a few points on the game and on some post match comments:

1)Bok defence in the midfield and out wide was terrible on many occasions. BOD and Roberts are good but they are not THAT good. Jacobs drifted right past his man in defence about 3 times and it wasn't due purely to the skill of the Lions backs that those linebreaks were made. I like Jacobs but he's an impact player, and wasn't suited to that match.

2)To anyone who made ridiculous comments post match about BOD and Roberts being the best centre combination in the world, just don't. They were impressive but the SA defence was a shambles at times, this will definately improve hugely next week.

3)Don't judge the SA backs on that game because the Bok gameplan as stated before the match was to play pragmatic rugby (that means forward play)! I don't think JDV passed the ball to Jacobs more than once!

4)Mockers of Steyn and Spies; please note that Steyn played brilliantly and dropped only 2 balls and fielded many excellent catches! This type of game does not suit Spies but he still made try saving tackles and a lot of work in the rucks. If the Boks decide to play open rugby at any time, then it would be appropriate to judge his open-play ability.

5)I feel sorry for the Lions next week because they're going to Pretoria to play at altitude infront of the most intimidating crowd in the country.

All up, an interesting game. Can't wait for next week.
I still predict a 3-0 series with the boks only to get much, much better.

Edit: What the hell was with the Lions obstruction runners in every set piece?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheBokke @ Jun 20 2009, 10:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Jun 21 2009, 08:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If the SA defence was so much better why did the Lions score more tries and break the line way more, as well as waste try scoring chances with poor finishing. (Monye and Phillips)

If Adam Jones had started, the Lions would have won. Fact.[/b]

If my aunty had balls she would be my uncle................ fact!! Your team lost fair and square suck it up and move on already. Never thought I would see bleating like this from an Irishman.
[/b][/quote]

I know, I shouldn't bring my fine nation down to the South African "The Lions are shite and were only in the game because of that damn PdV" ;)

South Africa won fair and square, not disputing that.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KZNSharksFan @ Jun 21 2009, 10:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
1)Bok defence in the midfield and out wide was terrible on many occasions. BOD and Roberts are good but they are not THAT good. Jacobs drifted right past his man in defence about 3 times and it wasn't due purely to the skill of the Lions backs that those linebreaks were made. I like Jacobs but he's an impact player, and wasn't suited to that match.

2)To anyone who made ridiculous comments post match about BOD and Roberts being the best centre combination in the world, just don't. They were impressive but the SA defence was a shambles at times, this will definately improve hugely next week.

3)Don't judge the SA backs on that game because the Bok gameplan as stated before the match was to play pragmatic rugby (that means forward play)! I don't think JDV passed the ball to Jacobs more than once!

4)Mockers of Steyn and Spies; please note that Steyn played brilliantly and dropped only 2 balls and fielded many excellent catches! This type of game does not suit Spies but he still made try saving tackles and a lot of work in the rucks. If the Boks decide to play open rugby at any time, then it would be appropriate to judge his open-play ability.

5)I feel sorry for the Lions next week because they're going to Pretoria to play at altitude infront of the most intimidating crowd in the country.

All up, an interesting game. Can't wait for next week.
I still predict a 3-0 series with the boks only to get much, much better.

Edit: What the hell was with the Lions obstruction runners in every set piece?[/b]
Where to start?

JDV is a good defender. Jacobs should be buried under a heavy stone. They were boys against men. BOD/Roberts are as good as it gets. That's why SA can't play open rugby - they have no midfield to feed the ball through. Pity, because Habana and Steyn are designed to run.

Steyn has been treated like a utility player, not just by PDV but by White as well. Remember when he was sent on at 10 for the last fifteen minutes of a 3N match against the ABs? Stupid.

Spies did nothing, even when Vickery was still on the pitch and squealing like a pig.

I know nothing about altitude.

I'm still angry at Gatland's monumental f*** up on Vickery. Must ... get ... some ... sleep.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Jun 21 2009, 11:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Where to start?

JDV is a good defender. Jacobs should be buried under a heavy stone. They were boys against men. BOD/Roberts are as good as it gets. That's why SA can't play open rugby - they have no midfield to feed the ball through. Pity, because Habana and Steyn are designed to run.

Steyn has been treated like a utility player, not just by PDV but by White as well. Remember when he was sent on at 10 for the last fifteen minutes of a 3N match against the ABs? Stupid.

Spies did nothing, even when Vickery was still on the pitch and squealing like a pig.

I know nothing about altitude.

I'm still angry at Gatland's monumental f*** up on Vickery. Must ... get ... some ... sleep.[/b]

Yes JDV is a very good defender, but i was talking about Jacobs being the culprit in defense. I know BOD is an outstanding player, but Fourie and De Villiers are very close behind him! That is no exaggeration, these guys are seriously good centres, and when they have a bit of game time together (god willing, P De Villiers lets them) you will see that they can break through any backline, especially with Pienaar at 10.
SA can most definately play open rugby, but why would they if they haven't played together in 7 months and if the forwards are destroying the opposition and scoring points (first 50 mins)?

I implore anyone who only is only fascinated by, or notices the "bash and sprint 80 metres for a try" play of Spies to watch a replay of the game more closely! He made many crucial tackles and did more than his necessary share of work in the rucks.

Why play open Rugby when your forwards are on top and you have a guy like Pienaar kicking the corners? It's about winning, and SA did that, you have nothing to be ashamed of.

Latest posts