• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

1st TEST: South Africa v Lions

"Mysterious injury" would do, or they can send him to go buy some food and accidentally send him into Soweto.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Jun 21 2009, 02:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Anyone reckon they could drop O'Connell for next match?[/b]

no if anyone's dropped it'll be AWJ, he was anonymous yesterday. Says it all that there was a huge improvement when Donncha came on.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (g6mcg @ Jun 21 2009, 11:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hall @ Jun 21 2009, 11:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Jun 21 2009, 11:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
("We need more then just a scrummager")[/b]

We do. Doesn't mean I think Vickery was the right man. I thought Adam Jones should have started ahead of both of them.
[/b][/quote]

So are you saying that a few, lets say 3, penalties for us wouldn't have helped? And negating the Boks scrum would have reduced the efforts of the Bok forwards in the loose, which I reckon would have helped?

Having said that - wasn't King Vic absolutely brilliant in the loose. That made up for his shortcomings, obviously.
[/b][/quote]

My opinion still stands.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Jun 21 2009, 11:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Also the call from the ref to overrule the TMO was dead on. When the ball is still in movement in the in-goal area it is impossible for it to be ruled as held up. The crafty JdV quickly ripped the ball out of Monye's hand before the movement stopped, it is not illegal to rip the ball from the opponent, during which the ball went over the dead ball line. 22m drop out for the defensive team is spot on.[/b]

Ah, but if this were the case then surely Phillips effort where he came close should actually have been awarded as a try? Botha got his hand on the ball before/as it hit the floor, it went loose and was then dived on by Mears.

This was given as a knock-on (and rightly so IMO), but surely it should be judged that Monye lost the ball forward as well, as it came loose in the tackle?

It had to be a scrum to one side or another, the drop out was only awarded because of poor communication.

Not a major point, but f***ing annoying when it could have so simply been avoided.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Jun 21 2009, 02:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Jun 21 2009, 02:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

no if anyone's dropped it'll be AWJ, he was anonymous yesterday. Says it all that there was a huge improvement when Donncha came on.
[/b][/quote]

So what exactly did O'Connell actually do yesterday?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Jun 21 2009, 04:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Jun 21 2009, 02:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

got the lineout steal that led to Croft's first try and carried well in the second half, still not his finest hour but he contributed which is more than can be said for AWJ.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Jun 21 2009, 04:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Jun 21 2009, 04:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Jun 21 2009, 02:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

got the lineout steal that led to Croft's first try and carried well in the second half, still not his finest hour but he contributed which is more than can be said for AWJ.
[/b][/quote]

Lol poor excuse :bravo:, good to see you are taking a dig at AWJ when the question was not about him. Fair play.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Jun 20 2009, 04:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
shtove is correct. Take Vickery away from the game and that's 12 points lesser South Africa.

Not-so-Monye-in-the-bank cost us three tries.

Roberts is world class. De Villiers who? Best centre combination in the world.[/b]

Yea he hasnt played in three months through injury and gets thrown into one of the biggest games of career. Recieving the ball twice all game, hes finished :rolleyes:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Jun 21 2009, 05:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Jun 21 2009, 04:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cymro @ Jun 21 2009, 04:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Lol poor excuse :bravo:, good to see you are taking a dig at AWJ when the question was not about him. Fair play.
[/b][/quote]

Neither were outstanding, however niether were bad, something has to be changed in the pack(other than bringing in williams) and seeing as O' Connell is captain AND has not played worse than AWJ or anyone else. So if a change in that area is going to occur it'll be jones.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Incredible Schalk @ Jun 21 2009, 05:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Jun 20 2009, 04:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
shtove is correct. Take Vickery away from the game and that's 12 points lesser South Africa.

Not-so-Monye-in-the-bank cost us three tries.

Roberts is world class. De Villiers who? Best centre combination in the world.[/b]

Yea he hasnt played in three months through injury and gets thrown into one of the biggest games of career. Recieving the ball twice all game, hes finished :rolleyes:
[/b][/quote]
Don't put words in my mouth.

Chris, it appears as though some people are waiting on an answer from you to a question regarding O'Gara, you bigoted slimeball. ;)

I know. Tish-Tish on me! :lol:

You thinks that's fun, check out the thread on the England board regarding Cipriani and ELVkiller's hypocritical name calling!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SaintsFan_Schweinsteiger_Webby @ Jun 21 2009, 05:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Jun 21 2009, 11:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also the call from the ref to overrule the TMO was dead on. When the ball is still in movement in the in-goal area it is impossible for it to be ruled as held up. The crafty JdV quickly ripped the ball out of Monye's hand before the movement stopped, it is not illegal to rip the ball from the opponent, during which the ball went over the dead ball line. 22m drop out for the defensive team is spot on.[/b]

Ah, but if this were the case then surely Phillips effort where he came close should actually have been awarded as a try? Botha got his hand on the ball before/as it hit the floor, it went loose and was then dived on by Mears.

This was given as a knock-on (and rightly so IMO), but surely it should be judged that Monye lost the ball forward as well, as it came loose in the tackle?

It had to be a scrum to one side or another, the drop out was only awarded because of poor communication.

Not a major point, but f***ing annoying when it could have so simply been avoided.
[/b][/quote]
I'm pretty sure the Phillips/Botha incident was called a knock-on because Botha never had possession of the ball, he got ball and hand at the same time (haha doesn't sound good) so it was more a case of Phillips losing possession of the ball forward.

Onto the JdV tackle again, I've seen players do what JdV did in the in-goal before but not exactly in that way. I remember JPP doing the same last year against the All Blacks in our victory at Dunedin off a Carter cross field kick that went into the in-goal area and was hit out by him over the dead-ball line with a 22m dropout awarded. I've also seen fullbacks do this before. Another example similar to this would be when Flood push Monty into the camera in the RWC07 final. Flood pushed Monty into the ball, the ball bounced off his head over the deadball line. Again 22m dropout awarded. I've seen this law applied consistently.

Tricky part of the rules to understand that had me really thinking hard but I'm confident in my backing of the ref that the right decisions were made in both incidents.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Jun 21 2009, 07:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SaintsFan_Schweinsteiger_Webby @ Jun 21 2009, 05:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]
I'm pretty sure the Phillips/Botha incident was called a knock-on because Botha never had possession of the ball, he got ball and hand at the same time (haha doesn't sound good) so it was more a case of Phillips losing possession of the ball forward.

Onto the JdV tackle again, I've seen players do what JdV did in the in-goal before but not exactly in that way. I remember JPP doing the same last year against the All Blacks in our victory at Dunedin off a Carter cross field kick that went into the in-goal area and was hit out by him over the dead-ball line with a 22m dropout awarded. I've also seen fullbacks do this before. Another example similar to this would be when Flood push Monty into the camera in the RWC07 final. Flood pushed Monty into the ball, the ball bounced off his head over the deadball line. Again 22m dropout awarded. I've seen this law applied consistently.

Tricky part of the rules to understand that had me really thinking hard but I'm confident in my backing of the ref that the right decisions were made in both incidents.
[/b][/quote]

I agree it was a very tight one to call. Had De Villiers stripped the ball in the tackle (as opposed to holding it up then flicking it away) then I agree a 22 would have been the right option.

We'll agree to disagree, my main frustration is with the communication between the officials which led to the TMO saying 5m attacking scrum - which I think should have been the decision - and the referee overuling him.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SaintsFan_Schweinsteiger_Webby @ Jun 21 2009, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Jun 21 2009, 07:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SaintsFan_Schweinsteiger_Webby @ Jun 21 2009, 05:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

I agree it was a very tight one to call. Had De Villiers stripped the ball in the tackle (as opposed to holding it up then flicking it away) then I agree a 22 would have been the right option.

We'll agree to disagree, my main frustration is with the communication between the officials which led to the TMO saying 5m attacking scrum - which I think should have been the decision - and the referee overuling him.
[/b][/quote]

I wholeheartedly agree that whole TMO thing was a cock up of the highest order and I hope the iRB feel suitably embarrassed.

I see rugby dump has the extended highlights here

BTW not beating a dead horse but i noticed 2 more thing in the vid. BOD pass to Monye was about 1.5m forward anyway and it also looks like Monye went over the dead ball line before it got ripped away.
Then Heaslip obstructed Matfield in the Phillips try, it's quite obvious especially from the 2nd angle behind the post.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Jun 22 2009, 07:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Then Heaslip obstructed Matfield in the Phillips try, it's quite obvious especially from the 2nd angle behind the post.[/b]
Ah, so Heaslip did do something yesterday!

Watched the match again - after the maul try on 48, the Boks had one serious attack and scored no points.

Latest posts