• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

1st TEST: South Africa v Lions

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Jun 17 2009, 10:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I guess SA confidence has to be based on what the Bulls did in the S14. Amazing, but it's not the Boks.

Two great players on the pitch - du Preez and BOD. Habana is in very good form, so is Bowe. Frans Steyn is one of my favourites, so I'd like to see him play with his head. POC v Matfield has had a lot of attention, so might be a sideshow in the end.

I go with the Lions. Phillips will take on the backrow, and ROG to slice open the underbelly with his kicks after the doe-eyed Saffers have been scrummed and mauled to death.

Cruel world. It makes me weep... with laughter.[/b]

Can't wait! If two of the Lions players had to get helped off the field against a few Bulls, couple expats and a handful of seven's players they'll have to be airlifted out of there against the Boks.

:injured:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (noidsay @ Jun 18 2009, 08:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Jun 17 2009, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

sthove = Lesko
?
[/b][/quote]
You Irish! Full of the whiksee. Good medicines.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

This what i do Putin .......... with bomba!!!!!

670-hit-the-nose.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Jun 17 2009, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I guess SA confidence has to be based on what the Bulls did in the S14. Amazing, but it's not the Boks.

Two great players on the pitch - du Preez and BOD. Habana is in very good form, so is Bowe. Frans Steyn is one of my favourites, so I'd like to see him play with his head. POC v Matfield has had a lot of attention, so might be a sideshow in the end.

I go with the Lions. Phillips will take on the backrow, and[/b]

It was all ging so well...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>

Dammit.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Jun 17 2009, 05:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Bryan Habana v Monye - Monye. This is close, but I hear Habana has been shite for a while, whereas Monye's been solid in defence and has done little wrong. I haven't been watching the Super 14 though so meh.[/b]
Funniest thing I've read in aaaaaaages!!! :D :D :lol: :p
'SOLID IN DEFENCE# !!!!!!!!! :bravo:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Jun 18 2009, 09:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Jun 17 2009, 05:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bryan Habana v Monye - Monye. This is close, but I hear Habana has been shite for a while, whereas Monye's been solid in defence and has done little wrong. I haven't been watching the Super 14 though so meh.[/b]
Funniest thing I've read in aaaaaaages!!! :D :D :lol: :p
'SOLID IN DEFENCE# !!!!!!!!! :bravo:
[/b][/quote]
Eng v Scot in the last 6N? He did it for Leicester as well. Monye's cover tackling is a thing to behold. Saves a try, scores a try - the kicking is ****, but the rest is goooood.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Jun 18 2009, 09:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Jun 17 2009, 10:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I go with the Lions. Phillips will take on the backrow, and ROG to slice open the underbelly with his kicks after the doe-eyed Saffers have been scrummed and mauled to death.

Can't wait! If two of the Lions players had to get helped off the field against a few Bulls, couple expats and a handful of seven's players they'll have to be airlifted out of there against the Boks.

:injured:
[/b][/quote]
Errr ... on the evidence, you're right. But France fcuked up the ABs with their maul. So it's the same, but different. Evidence doesn't matter. See? I rest my case. Thank you.

C'mon guys where is the positive attitude!? I've had to check my calendar, Id have sworn it was 2005 the way some people are!

I have full faith in this team to give the boks a bloody good game, and even if we don't win, to give us enough positives going into the final two tests to really push the boks.

I still think we'll do it though, I am so positive, I am certain we'll win on saturday and win the series. This is a great squad and I think any 15 out there will give 100% for the team and this will be a memorable test series.

P.S does anyone want to sponsor me for saying 'positive'? :p

Have the Springboks had a warm up match before the first test? i understand the Maori game got the can.

Here is my take on the player vs player part. I am going to go purely with who i feel is the better player, regardless of form at the moment.

15 - Francois Steyn v Lee Byrne - I will have to say Byrne. Steyn is brilliant on his day, far better than Byrne in fact, but looking at consistency, as well as the whole package, i think Byrne comes out on top.

14 - JP Pietersen v Tommy Bowe - Very close. Very VERY similar styles of play. I'm going to say Bowe, as he impressed me since the first time i saw him. Pieterson blows hot and cold.

13 - Adrian Jacobs v BOD - BOD. Stupid question really.

12 - Jean de Villiers v JR - As good and strong as Roberts is, de Villiers is the best line-breaker in world rugby. Still the best 12 in the world.

11 - Bryan Habana v Monye - Habana. He struggled with form last year, but has put that past him, and is back to his best. This guy has been a revelation. He is far FAR better than Monye.

10 - Ruan Pienaar v Jones - Very close. I think Ruan Pienaar is a better player, but Jones is the better 10. So i am going to say Jones, only because Pienaar is not really a 10.

9 - Fourie du Preez v Phillips - Du Preez. D'uh!

1 - Beast v Jenkins - Jenkins. Incredible work rate, and has dominated srum time. Should be a good contest.

2 - Bismark du Plessis v Mears - Mears. Du Plessis is the strongest guy in our team. But the fact that his ball skills are worse than team Jehova's witness nullifies his strength.

3 - John Smit v Phil Vickery (It's gonna happen...) - Smit. His experience, captaincy and presence are invaluable.

4 - Bakkies Botha v Wyn Jones - Also a tough one... I'm gonna go with Botha.

5 - Victor Matfield v O'Connell - Tough tough tough. Matfield is influential, and so is O' Connell. I'm gonna agree with Speedy. Tie.

6 - Heinrich Brussow v Wallace - Wallace. Brussow is good, make that great! But he is young, and Wallace has some more experience. Very tough call though.

7 - Juan Smith v Williams - Smith. Most reliable player we have.

8 - Pierre Spies v Heaslip - Spies. Heaslip is very VERY good, but Spies gets it with his pace being the decider for me. Why wouldn't you want a sprinting train as an 8?

Rugby is a team game, a champion team will beat a team of champions and I believe the Springbox are a champion side. Go Bokke!

ps Where's Morne Steyn

I suppose one of the straws the Lions can draw is the form question. The Majority of the test team will have proven form going into the match itself while the a lot of the Boks will hjave been sitting on their asses all day.

We see it up here in the 6 nations, and I presume its the same in the tri-nations that teams take time, real game time, to truly gel again. The Lions have had that time, the Boks havent.

The comparison between the teams is a flawed approach, but fun. In my opinion the Lions have a better front row, an vastly inferior second row, a weaker backrow, better half backs, evcen centres, but a better back three. While I think the Boks will be cold I still think were going to get thumped up front.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Jun 18 2009, 11:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I suppose one of the straws the Lions can draw is the form question. The Majority of the test team will have proven form going into the match itself while the a lot of the Boks will hjave been sitting on their asses all day.

We see it up here in the 6 nations, and I presume its the same in the tri-nations that teams take time, real game time, to truly gel again. The Lions have had that time, the Boks havent.

The comparison between the teams is a flawed approach, but fun. In my opinion the Lions have a better front row, an vastly inferior second row, a weaker backrow, better half backs, evcen centres, but a better back three. While I think the Boks will be cold I still think were going to get thumped up front.[/b]

Only difference is, the core of this team has been together since 2004... It will be interesting to see how big a role it will actually play...

On one hand, you have a team that is not used to playing together, but has done so in the last 3 weeks, and on the other you have a team that IS used to playing together, but has NOT done so in the last 3 weeks...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Jun 18 2009, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (noidsay @ Jun 18 2009, 08:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Jun 17 2009, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

sthove = Lesko
?
[/b][/quote]
You Irish! Full of the whiksee. Good medicines.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

This what i do Putin .......... with bomba!!!!!

670-hit-the-nose.jpg

[/b][/quote]

:p :p :p :p :p :p :p

noidsay is making our names more popular :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Jun 18 2009, 10:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
on the other you have a team that IS used to playing together, but has NOT done so in the last 3 weeks...[/b]

Good point. Are some of the Boks (the Sharks) not sitting on their asses for close to 5 weeks now? Again I dont think it'll be a huge factor but it will be a factor none the less.

Well we will see what happens. Maybe the Boks will have a shaky first half... But they will eventually find their feet. I have no doubt about that.

we'll see how right Sky were with their prediction of the team based on what they saw at training, they say the backrow is Croft, Wallace, Heaslip, Wyn Jones to partner O'Connell with Monye getting the wing spot, no surprises elsewhere. Be interesting to see what options we have on the bench though.

Latest posts