• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

20 LEgend

B

Bullitt

20legend_design.jpg
r122371_393894.jpg

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer admits he has been left with 'some very special memories' after confirming his retirement.

The Manchester United striker has been forced to quit after failing to overcome a knee injury which required surgery in the summer.

Nicknamed 'The Baby-Faced Assassin', the Norwegian scored a string of vital goals during 11 years with The Red Devils.

His most important goal established Solskjaer as a club legend when he prodded home a dramatic injury-time winner against Bayern Munich in the 1999 UEFA Champions League final.

Upon confirming his retirement, the 34-year-old paid tribute to all those who have offered support during his battle with injuries in recent seasons.

"I would like to thank the manager, the coaching and medical staff and most of all the supporters, who have supported me through my career," Solskjaer told the club's official website.

Proud
"They have been fantastic and were a real inspiration to me when I was out injured.

"The support the fans and the staff showed me during that time was the main motivation for me making my comeback.

"I feel proud to have represented Manchester United for 11 years and have some very special memories."

United boss Sir Alex Ferguson, who paid £1.5million for Solskjaer in 1996, offered a glowing appraisal of the forward's Old Trafford career.

Ferguson said: "Ending your playing career is a sad day for anyone, in the case of Ole, he has 11 fantastic years he can look back on.

"Ole has achieved everything a player could ever wish to achieve.

"He has been a great servant to the club and has always remained a model professional in his responsibility as a player, in his demeanour and his manners have always been exemplary. Ole will hopefully go on to be a good coach."

[/b]

:(

He's a classy player, and always seemed hugely down to earth, espeically for a guy at such a big club. Doubt the Premier League will ever be graced with such a natural finisher either.

Hes apperently taken up a post as coach and ambassador for the club which i find completely fitting for him. Great man and player.

Latest posts