• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2007 Rugby World Cup Videos

L

lb90210

Hello, My name is Laurie and i'm new to the Forum. At the moment i am a prospective Television Production Student and i'm off next year to University to study it full time.

I have created two videos that act as potential promos to the 2007 Rugby World cup and they focus on what i believe rugby is all about.

Please take a look and if you could tell me what you think, i would be very grateful.

Potential Promo 1

Potential Promo 2

Thanks, Laurie xxx

Both videos showed intensely passionate moments and were presented wonderfully! (f*** me ay i sound like a panel judge on a tv show! lol)

Great work!

Nice idea, very creative.

Several points to make:

The sound on the first link is a mess. The backing track and haka do not mix well together.

The paint effect, while very creative, doesn't all that well on low definition videos. If they were being shown on television rather than the internet it may work better.

I actually enjoyed the haka with the backing track in the first one......captures the atmosphere whilst adding dramatic music to it to enhance it. Movies do a lot of it. Nice how it goes from the pictures on the wall to the video images. Are they "pictures" on the wall or "paintings"????? Making it look like a painting would have been very impressive.

Would have enjoyed a longer one. These were perhaps a bit too short to really see how good you are. Nice start nevertheless:)

Yeah, kind of short in both examples. The caption is good - "Art comes to life" - but there's a line from the haka that sums up ... everything: "It is life, it is death".

The Tonga response to the haka is sad and happy - they got whacked, and knew they were going to get whacked. But search through YouTube for other hakas, where the challenges were different. See if a montage would be better. The image of Umaga as the haka-man would be outstanding. But leave out the throat slitting nonsense: it no good.

I agree on the soundtrack clashing with the chant - maybe you could phase the music in and out. The first and last combustions of the haka are awesome and shouldn't be interfered with. And let us hear the hectoring of Umaga or Randall - the voice of authority.

Why so sad on Wilko's DG? Is this a SH production? Why not celebrate NH rugby? That's where the crowds are. And what about the Marseillaise? Flower of Scotland? Bread of Heaven? A great soundtrack, and non-copyvio as well. It is life = C'est la vie.

Thank You everyone for commenting on my videos.

To SaintsFan, yes i know that the low res is a bit poor, when i rendered it i used the highsest quality setting in order to capture to acute detail of the format, however, when uploading onto YouTube, they process the video to have lower quality so that it shortens load time, which is a bit of a shame because it looks quite good at a high resolution.

Yea the sound was a bit of a dilemma for me. Firstly i intended for there to be no audio from the clip, like the first one but this didn't capture the atmosphere well enough.

The videos were made on Windows movie maker, so they are a bit ragged around the edges as its not the most advanced and sophisticated software available.

To Gay Guy, i did intend for them to be paintings, but the quality and my Photoshop skills arn't the best around so i had to make do. The images in the middle of the pictures are infact screenshots from the video, resized and wrapped within a frame. Thats the reason for the poor quality of the image.

I also didn't want to have them too long as i only wanted them to act as promo's or a television advert, the first one is actually rather long for a T.V advert at 45 seconds or so.

But thank you very much for the comments as i can learn a lot from them. I intend to make a third video, but i'm yet undecided on what footage to use, and i'm only wanting to use footage from the 2003 RWC as i have a large portion of that on my computer.

Thank you very much again, Laurie xxxxxxx

To SaintsFan, yes i know that the low res is a bit poor, when i rendered it i used the highsest quality setting in order to capture to acute detail of the format, however, when uploading onto YouTube, they process the video to have lower quality so that it shortens load time, which is a bit of a shame because it looks quite good at a high resolution.

Yea the sound was a bit of a dilemma for me. Firstly i intended for there to be no audio from the clip, like the first one but this didn't capture the atmosphere well enough.

The videos were made on Windows movie maker, so they are a bit ragged around the edges as its not the most advanced and sophisticated software available.
[/b]

I realise YouTube is a bit of a pain for that. The effect could well be very good in high resolution. I also realise from my own video creation career that Movie Maker isn't the most sophisticated bit of kit to use. It is honestly more impressive now you've said that though, I assumed you had used something better. That must be pushing the capabilities of the program to their limits.

Cracking videos there Laurie. I'd like to see a try being scored as the 3rd video, but dunno if that will work as well though.

How long does it take to create those videos?

I like them! :)

nice concept, annoying that quality on youtube isn't that great.

love watching rugby videos at work!

rugby as an art form = campese's over the shoulder pass for horan to score. still remember that - anyone know where i can find the footage?

A good idea, i really like it.
I just wish that they could be a little longer.
But that's not the aim of it. It's just, you want to see more. :D

Good job.

Lb90210,

Wonderful... Excellent. :bravo: Brilliant.

I dont know much about video editing and all this mumbo jumbo but from an amateur's point of view, it was brilliant.

:cheers:

P.S: are you the same Lb from the old days of IRB forum???

LB

Its been a couple of years since we last chatted....

I've seen your work on youtube. Its some good stuff.

Keep it up.

I loved it and it should work well because it got me into it. It draws a lot of attention especially that special effects which makes look like paint moving around. The text 'Watch Art come to Life' at the end showed a great connection to the motion before that.

By the way, nice to hear of you again. I remember you from IRB Forums. :D

good effort mate.

i studied graphic design at uni but spent most of my time doing animation and such.

posted a couple of them on youtube and have some new animations for a rugby commentary coming up.
see what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=fraserdldavidson [/b]
Those rugby commentary video clips are absolutely brilliant. They are really funny vids you got there. The French attacking style is outstanding. :cheers:

YEAH BOIIIIIIII :p
verry nice vids :D are they actually for commercial use?
I like shot of the canadians, the testikel-loss of a frenchman and a whole lot more :D :D :D

...do u have more? :$ :D

there will be many more coming.

for those of you interested in the world cup (albeit a slightly one eyed kiwi take on it) definately subscribe to the allblacks.com podcast. and further to that, the alternative rugby commentary. arcrugby.co.nz.

canadian test in hamilton is up next. i wont give away too much, but mr thian supplied me with the latest version of the script yesterday entitled: 'canada: what the f**k are they doing here?"

its gonna be a classic.