• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2009 RBS Six Nations Fixtures

A

An Tarbh

So the fixtures are supposed to be released today but the question is will we get a Friday night fixture and if so what will be the impact on the tournament?

Saturday 7th February:
England v Italy 15:00
Ireland v France 17:00

Sunday 8th February:
Scotland v Wales 15:00

Saturday 14th February:
France v Scotland 16:00
Wales v England 17:30

Sunday 15th February:
Italy v Ireland 15:30

Friday 27th February:
France v Wales 21:00

Saturday 28th February:
Scotland v Italy 15:00
Ireland v England 17:30

Saturday 14th March:
Italy v Wales 16:00
Scotland v Ireland 17:00

Sunday 15th March:
England v France 15:00

Saturday 21st March:
Italy v France 14:15
England v Scotland 15:30
Wales v Ireland 17:30

Friday 27th February:
France v Wales 21:00[/b]

Well that's a pain in the arse. Looks like Wales is about to break the Guinness World Record for number of sickies taken on one day. And no Super Saturday. :(

It's a tough line up for Wales. Losing to Scotland in that first match could really mess us up with England and France to come straight after, yet it isn't a big enough fixture to give us the 'big grand slam mo' if we won it. :)

well there's one on the last Saturday just a shame there isn't one during the tournament as well.

Oh no !!!

My Italy play with Scotland away !!!!

I think we have no chance...

6th place is sure...

:wall:

Oh no !!!

My Italy play with Scotland away !!!!

I think we have no chance...

6th place is sure...

:wall:
[/b]
Well yeh, which ever team you played at home one year you play away from home the next year. This has happened since the start of the 6N hasn't it?

Not really thinking of the fans at all with the Friday night matches. [/b]

You're right since you'll need to take a day off if you intend to travel to attend the Friday night match.

Friday's night match.. well, in a couple of years, if it go on this way, we'll have a tournament in two weeks, each night a game.. Enjoy ^^

More seriously i don't understand what is the point of planning a match on friday nights. And only one super Saturday. It's ridiculous.

I think I remember saying that there'd be a Friday match in 2009 and the whole concept of the idea being pooh-poohed...

Can someone explain to me the added benefit of this? I remember reading a few months back (possibly here, can't remember) that a Friday match was being thought about. Would it have something to do with the stupid complaints the BBC got about showing to much rugby?

Regardless of this, what a stupid move. It just seems like the people that have done this have isolated the rugby community yet again. Not only this, but it leaves less time for drinking after the match! :%#%#:

This has nothing to do with the BBC, it's French tv wanting a game on Friday nights as they were such a ratings winner during the world cup.

well considering what the tv companies pay for the rights they have an input into when the fixtures are scheduled, particularly when they're host broadcasters like France Televisions are, add to that the fact that the other nations have never had a home game that has kicked off at 8/9pm whereas the big French Autumn Internationals all get Prime Time coverage on France2 I don't think I'm going out on a limb by saying it's what they wanted, they've had for a number of years with Saturday games and given the success of the Prime Time Friday games in the world cup it reinforced the opinion that it was a good idea.

This will be a total disaster if Scotland are ever scheduled to play a home game on a friday night! we struggle to fill Murrayfield for some games as it is, and with a friday night game it becomes difficult to travel to games and the simple answer is, people wont!

The TV ratings may increase, but thats at the expense of the fans who (certainly in Scotlands case) wont manage to make it - and the TV coverage wont look to smart with more empty seats than fans!

I attended the RWC game against Romania at 20:00, which I attended because it was the RWC and my only opertunity to attend said event for 8 years, but when looking into travel arrangments found that while I MAY manage to make the last train to Glasgow, there wasnt a hope I was going to make the last train to my hometown (one of the main lines out of Glasgow. infact, one of the 2 lines is the ONLY rail connection between Glasgow (and Edinburgh) and the entire west coast north of the Clyde!)

Bearing in mind you would also struggle to make the last train for Aberdeen, and even if you do make it your not getting home until around 1-2 in the morning - and this is a region that much of our support comes from.

So in short, unless you live in Edinburgh of the immediate surounding area (possibly as far as Glasgow) then you have to drive - hence drinking is out, and you cant watch Scotland without alcohol! (seriously, any idea how painful that is? even just the thought is painful!) OH, and you need to pay near £60 for the priveledge!

OK, i'll still go (as will about 20,000 others) but there would be echoes around Murrayfield that could spell the end of Rugby in Scotland!

This will be a total disaster if Scotland are ever scheduled to play a home game on a friday night! we struggle to fill Murrayfield for some games as it is, and with a friday night game it becomes difficult to travel to games and the simple answer is, people wont!

The TV ratings may increase, but thats at the expense of the fans who (certainly in Scotlands case) wont manage to make it - and the TV coverage wont look to smart with more empty seats than fans!

I attended the RWC game against Romania at 20:00, which I attended because it was the RWC and my only opertunity to attend said event for 8 years, but when looking into travel arrangments found that while I MAY manage to make the last train to Glasgow, there wasnt a hope I was going to make the last train to my hometown (one of the main lines out of Glasgow. infact, one of the 2 lines is the ONLY rail connection between Glasgow (and Edinburgh) and the entire west coast north of the Clyde!)

Bearing in mind you would also struggle to make the last train for Aberdeen, and even if you do make it your not getting home until around 1-2 in the morning - and this is a region that much of our support comes from.

So in short, unless you live in Edinburgh of the immediate surounding area (possibly as far as Glasgow) then you have to drive - hence drinking is out, and you cant watch Scotland without alcohol! (seriously, any idea how painful that is? even just the thought is painful!) OH, and you need to pay near £60 for the priveledge!

OK, i'll still go (as will about 20,000 others) but there would be echoes around Murrayfield that could spell the end of Rugby in Scotland! [/b]

That's a big difference, the Stade de France will be full on whichever evening of the week.

<div class='quotemain'> This will be a total disaster if Scotland are ever scheduled to play a home game on a friday night! we struggle to fill Murrayfield for some games as it is, and with a friday night game it becomes difficult to travel to games and the simple answer is, people wont!

OK, i'll still go (as will about 20,000 others) but there would be echoes around Murrayfield that could spell the end of Rugby in Scotland! [/b]

That's a big difference, the Stade de France will be full on whichever evening of the week.
[/b][/quote]

but theres the problem - this will be a big hit and other games will be played on fridays in subsequent seasons (anyone else envisage a friday, saturday and sunday game every week?) and we will end up with a game at Murrayfield within a few years!

:( Oh no i will have to watch Scotland play again and suffer the intense pain that goes with being a Scot

Think it's daft to be honest. Can't see as many wales fans as usual travelling out to watch the match. And as soemone said, there will probably a record number of sickies...
It's a pity too, I always enjoyed watching the Wales u20's matches on the friday before a 6 nations weekend.

I hate that, watching the Wales U20's beforehand. I become so riled up I can barely sleep during the night in anticipation of the following game.

Latest posts