• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2013/14 HEC] Pool 2, Round 1

Absolutely in the respect that one team walked all over the other to the extent that there was never any serious doubt about the result by half time when that team then sat back on their arses and made changes for the worse to give players a game in key positions (Wilkinson and Steenson for example) when the other team made a come back and earned a point......although some of the rugby was pretty, it was not competitive such as Ulster v Leiceter or Edinburgh v Munster!!

Exactly, this game exactly illustrates why the offensive bonus point rule was modified in the top 14, it now requires three tries more than your opponent and cannot be scored by the losing side.
Would Toulon had let four tries in the second half if the game had not been won by half time, probably not. Glasgow four tries were the result of a spirited fight back as well as a loss of focus from Toulon.
Bayonne managed to save itself from relegation 4-5 years ago by letting in 6-7 tries in the first half and scoring 4 in the second half against a complacent side, it was in fact easier to manage a losing offensive bonus point than a defensive one. This Bayonne episode lead to the modification of the rule, because it forbids complacency as you need to maintain the three tries difference.
I already hear that it is unprofessional behaviour to let four tries through complacency but it is nevertheless human nature, especially in a 38 games long season.
I would like to see the same rule applied in the H cup as in the top 14 as Glasgow probably would not have scored this bonus point if the game had been tight at half time and is somehow unfair for the two other sides in the group.

I saw: "Toulon vs Warriors". Good game, Scots made a great second half, they did honor to their name: W-A-R-R-I-O-R-S!

Two suprisingly entertaining matches. Who'd have seen Glasgow's fight back in the 2nd half! And I doubt many Cheifs fans expected Exeter to destroy Cardiff and then have to contend with a really tense finish! I can't wait for Cardiff vs Exeter!

A very disappointing first half from Glasgow, and a superb first half from Toulon. The second half was very entertaining and all things considered I don't think Glasgow can be too disappointed with a losing bonus point from an away game to Toulon. Glasgow always had to be going for the second spot in this group, which I think is still very much achievable. Next Sunday's game at home to Exeter now however is key.

Latest posts