• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2013-14 IRB 7's] Las Vegas

mrcool, I appreciate the effort and work into the updates, but could you please edit the updates into your previous post until someone else posts. It looks kind of bad when we have ten straight one line posts from the same user. Thanks bud.

nz 24-7 fulltime

on sun
920 spain v portugal
922 us v uruguay
1004 kenya v scotland
1026 wales v fiji
1048 argentina v australia
1110 france v england
1132 so africa v samoa
1154 canada v nz

start times local in las vegas,nv

Wow what an event for Canada, guarentees our best performance since Tokyo in 2000!! LOL Moonlight didn't even know we'd ever made the semi finals before. The wins have all been narrow and even more impressive considering Hirayama, Hearn and Duke are out hurt.

Yes, well done Canada ... only thing that could have made it better, is if they were in the other semi ... mixed loyalties for me, but I'll back the 10 man New Zealand squad :)

Yes, well done Canada ... only thing that could have made it better, is if they were in the other semi ... mixed loyalties for me, but I'll back the 10 man New Zealand squad :)

Yeah I would have given us a hope in hell shot of beating Samoa and getting to the final so it would have been much better I don't fancy our chances against even a 10 man NZ side. It would take something shokcing like a sending off or something for this one to go in Canada's favour. 3rd place would be a very nice prize if we can get there.

Yeah I would have given us a hope in hell shot of beating Samoa and getting to the final so it would have been much better I don't fancy our chances against even a 10 man NZ side. It would take something shokcing like a sending off or something for this one to go in Canada's favour. 3rd place would be a very nice prize if we can get there.

Yeah, I see you backed NZ in the picking comp ... a pity ... I was hoping for a chance to make up some ground on you :)

... South Africa, on current form, look like they should be favourites to retain their Las Vegas ***le

spain 19-12 fulltime

game 34...us 14-7 1st half / us 28-14 fulltime
us v spain 1245 shield final

game 35 kenya 21-7 scotland
game 36 fiji 40-12 wales

fiji v kenya 1310 BOWL FINAL

argentina-australia 19 all going to overtime

game 37 aussies 24-19 in overtime
game 38 england 21-12 fulltime
1335 australia v england PLATE FINAL

samoa v so africa on now

game 39 so africa 14-0
game 40 nz 26-7

1245 spain v us plate final
1310 kenya v fiji bowl final
1335 australia v england plate final
1400...3rd place samoa v canada
1425.. cup final so africa v nz

times are local las vegas

us 31-0 fulltime us wins shield final

fiji 35-0 fulltime... wins bowl final

england 26-24 fulltime ...wins plate final

WOW canada down 19-0 first half scores 22 unanswered pts wins 22-19 wins 3rd place vegas 7s

Last edited by a moderator:
I stopped watching the game but was still following on twitter after we went down 19-0 went scrambling back to watching as it got close, what a tourney for the 7's side a game that will live a long time for Canadian fans. Should bring us way up the standings.

I stopped watching the game but was still following on twitter after we went down 19-0 went scrambling back to watching as it got close, what a tourney for the 7's side a game that will live a long time for Canadian fans. Should bring us way up the standings.

Yeah, it's a shame you didn't back them in the picking comp ... I thought I was going to make up some ground, but I backed New Zealand in the final

[video=youtube_share;ccGYJx2sMFQ]http://youtu.be/ccGYJx2sMFQ[/video]

Vicious hit

Yeah, it's a shame you didn't back them in the picking comp ... I thought I was going to make up some ground, but I backed New Zealand in the final

Yeah I really figured they were out of gas and that Samoa would take advantage and it looked like I was bang on at down 19-0 but wow the heart the team showed this tourny, they really wanted 3rd place. Brings us way up the standings to 11th right behind a couple of other sides and relegation avoidance is now confirmed.

Mack, Moonlight and Dala were spectacular this leg, unbelivably awesome.

Spain looking in deep trouble at the bottom of the table, quite way's back of the other teams and not looking good for them to stay up, off to the NZ leg.

Last edited:
Well done to South Africa on tournament win. They were certainly the better team in the final, and I felt the scoreline didn't really reflect their dominance. South Africa dominated the breakdown, and we played right into their hands by running straight at them. New Zealand really missed the injured Cama, and I'm not convinced with Heem playing in the forwards (as we lose a lot at the breakdown with him there...).

"Gordon Tietjens' and his men in black have been hit with two suspensions following a physical pool encounter with Fiji at the USA 7s over the weekend.

George Tilsley received a two-match ban for a tip tackle whilst Sam Dickson has been banned for nine matches for reckless contact with Fiji's Jonah Tuitoga's eyes late in the second half."

None of these were picked up by the referee in the game, however the ref did penalize NZ for a high tackle and interfering with Fijian players off the ball on two different occasions. wtf man why are NZ allowed to get away with so much. I can't even remember the last time I saw an NZ player get a yellow card, yet it happens to every other team at least once every tournament

Last edited:
"Gordon Tietjens' and his men in black have been hit with two suspensions following a physical pool encounter with Fiji at the USA 7s over the weekend.

George Tilsley received a two-match ban for a tip tackle whilst Sam Dickson has been banned for nine matches for reckless contact with Fiji's Jonah Tuitoga's eyes late in the second half."

None of these were picked up by the referee in the game, however the ref did penalize NZ for a high tackle and interfering with Fijian players off the ball on two different occasions. wtf man why are NZ allowed to get away with so much. I can't even remember the last time I saw an NZ player get a yellow card, yet it happens to every other team at least once every tournament

Can't remember you complaining about it in a match that wasn't against Fiji either...clearly a two match and nine match ban are not 'getting away with' anything. As a general rule New Zealand have good discipline - however I can't find any statistic that indicates lenient refereeing.

Yeah I really figured they were out of gas and that Samoa would take advantage and it looked like I was bang on at down 19-0 but wow the heart the team showed this tourny, they really wanted 3rd place. Brings us way up the standings to 11th right behind a couple of other sides and relegation avoidance is now confirmed.

Mack, Moonlight and Dala were spectacular this leg, unbelivably awesome.

Spain looking in deep trouble at the bottom of the table, quite way's back of the other teams and not looking good for them to stay up, off to the NZ leg.

... Yes, Canada have a pretty good draw for Wellington too ... so perhaps they can do a repeat performance, and go even further up the points table :D

Well done to South Africa on tournament win. They were certainly the better team in the final, and I felt the scoreline didn't really reflect their dominance. South Africa dominated the breakdown, and we played right into their hands by running straight at them. New Zealand really missed the injured Cama, and I'm not convinced with Heem playing in the forwards (as we lose a lot at the breakdown with him there...).

I have to agree ... for the most part ... although the finalists were the same two teams as last year, South Africa were the form team through out the tournament IMO, but I think New Zealand played pretty well in the final ... where as, last year, I think New Zealand were the form team in the tournament, but got absolutely hammered in the final

As a side issue, I wondering if the days are approaching, where the coaches of the respective teams, might look at selecting their squads, based on the venue they are playing at ... the tread this year in Vegas, seemed to be, to put a big man on the wing, and I'm wondering if the squads for Vegas could include more big player in the future, as the field are so much narrower than the standard rugby fields else where, and they aren't as likely to tire as quickly from running from one side to the other.

... I would have liked to have gone to Vegas again this year, but it didn't fit with my work schedule ... as it turns out, it was just as well, as I ended up at home with the flu anyway :) ... are well, there's always next year :)

Yes, the Refs missed some things alright ... like the constant off side infringements of the Fijian side, in the Bowl final, that effectively, prevented Kenya from spinning the ball wide, and practically gave them no chance of winning

Last edited:
I was at the tournament and will tell you that I was NOT impressed at all in the quality of refereeing. I'm not sure I've ever seen so many offsides and "in from the side" NOT called - it was pretty ridiculous.

The quality of 7's officiating is well known to be dour, I don't think it's really a well regarded gig for referee's and I would think the fitness requirements might knock out a couple of older decent 15 refs who can't handle the pace.

Within USA Rugby, and maybe other organizations, I have a theory that they are more interested in how you LOOK as a referee sometimes, than how you perform. I know a lot of really good referees that have gotten passed over for promotion to the next panel because they are a little older or are grey-beards, in favor of younger, fitter, way less talented referees.

But you are right - 7s refereeing isn't really that well regarded, I think. Hell, I don't really like 7s rugby that much either - I really wish 15s had been chosen for the Olympics instead, so it would be getting the upgraded attention 7s is getting these days.

Within USA Rugby, and maybe other organizations, I have a theory that they are more interested in how you LOOK as a referee sometimes, than how you perform. I know a lot of really good referees that have gotten passed over for promotion to the next panel because they are a little older or are grey-beards, in favor of younger, fitter, way less talented referees.

But you are right - 7s refereeing isn't really that well regarded, I think. Hell, I don't really like 7s rugby that much either - I really wish 15s had been chosen for the Olympics instead, so it would be getting the upgraded attention 7s is getting these days.

I think the Olympic exposure is being way overated in importance particularly here in North America, obviously it's a positive but I'm not sure how much of one, tons of Olympic sports only catch the public's eyes once every four years and jammed in with so many other sports it's not like it gets it's own dedicated window like the 15's Rugby World Cup.

I hardly have to hold back my friends from participating or viewing Dressage or Discus in between Olympics, nor do I see floods of women down at the pool participating in synchronized swimming. This is the truth for many sports obviously 7's will be more prestigious than these sports but I think my main point sarcasm aside still stands.

I really wish North American sports would move away from needing Olympic participation. Basketball and Ice Hockey could really use properly run World Cups in better time windows. Heck even Baseball is trying to do this (partially succesfully) with the WBC.

I totally agree with you TRF_LittleGuy - I don't know how the Olympic thing is affecting 7s in the rest of the world, but in the USA that has become a big "selling" point in recruitment over the last year or so. I'm all for anything that will up interest in rugby in the States, but I'd prefer the interest to be on 'real' rugby and not something we used to play in the off-season to retain our fitness :)