• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2013-14 IRB 7's] London

LittleGuy

First XV
Country Flag
Canada
The final event of the 2013-14 IRB 7's circuit is upon us next week from London. New Zealand have a strangehold at the top of the table and even with a super tough Pool A they will almost certainly take the series ***le barring a catastrophe.

The pools were drawn prior to the Glasgow Cup final....not sure I've seen as strong a pool at a 7's event as Pool A in some time. (I'm doing these off of memory, I think I might be wrong on Pool's C and D, will edit later).

Pool A

New Zealand
England
Argentina
Wales

Pool B

Canada
Kenya
Samoa
United States

Pool C

Scotland
Australia
Spain
Japan

Pool D

Fiji
South Africa
France
Portugal

Last edited:
The final event of the 2013-14 IRB 7's circuit is upon us next week from London. New Zealand have a strangehold at the top of the table and even with a super tough Pool A they will almost certainly take the series ***le barring a catastrophe.

The pools were drawn prior to the Glasgow Cup final....not sure I've seen as strong a pool at a 7's event as Pool A in some time. (I'm doing these off of memory, I think I might be wrong on Pool's C and D, will edit later).

Pool A

New Zealand
England
Argentina
Wales

Pool B

Canada
Kenya
Samoa
United States

Pool C

Scotland
South Africa
Spain
Japan

Pool D

Fiji
France
Australia
Portugal

... I'm only going from memory too, but that looks right to me

Last edited:
Shame to hear about Scholz hopefully he'll be available for selection in June if they want to choose him. Douglas is a decent player, more a pure speed guy but he'll fill in nicely for Scholz.

Most probably Spain is going to be relegated

Good to know Saturday tickets have been sold out

4 Nominees of IRB Sevens Player of the Year

Last edited by a moderator:
To see all there is to know about the Canadian Mens Sevens Rugby team, check out cameronknowlesblog.wordpress.com
Keep up to date with all the action and follow all games at www.irbsevens.com

Cheers,
GO CANADA GO!

Well, it'll be close to miraculous for NZ not to take the series again after last tournament. Very well deserved at that; just such a roughlessly consitent team.

My vote would go to Mickelson for POtY. Not just a phenominal player but has made the breakthrough for NZ in key games.

Last edited:
Well, it'll be close to miraculous for NZ not to take the series again after last tournament. Very well deserved at that; just such a roughlessly consitent team.

My vote would go to Mickelson for POtY. Not just a phenominal player but has made the breakthrough for NZ in key games.

South Africa would have to win this event and New Zealand would have to finish in the Shield points for the Blitzbokke to win, (even if New Zealand won the Shield it would be a tie at 161 points).

Congratulations to New Zealand who have clinched the series ***le by guarenteeing they will finish in the top two of their pool.

Hmmmn ... what a difference a week makes ... both my teams in the final last week ... neither performed as well as I hoped on day 1 this week

Yeah Canada seemed flat today they did salvage some results but it wasn't enough to get out of that competitive pool, still a chance to salvage an OK spot, one would think that Japan should be a winnable game to start off tommorow.

Yeah Canada seemed flat today they did salvage some results but it wasn't enough to get out of that competitive pool, still a chance to salvage an OK spot, one would think that Japan should be a winnable game to start off tommorow.

Yes, I guess New Zealand aren't completely dead in the water either ... just got to get past South Africa :)

Yes, I guess New Zealand aren't completely dead in the water either ... just got to get past South Africa :)

They don't even need that. They've already won the World Series by qualifying out of their pool.

They are 19 points ahead of South Africa and the worst they can finish from this position is 8th (losing plate semifinalist) and that will pick them up 10 points. Even if South Africa win the tournament (22 points)they will still be 7 points ahead at the end.

In fact, all they had to do was get at least 4 points to assure themselves of the series win; third in their pool would have done that (Bowl semifinalists get 5 points)

They don't even need that. They've already won the World Series by qualifying out of their pool.

They are 19 points ahead of South Africa and the worst they can finish from this position is 8th (losing plate semifinalist) and that will pick them up 10 points. Even if South Africa win the tournament (22 points)they will still be 7 points ahead at the end.

In fact, all they had to do was get at least 4 points to assure themselves of the series win; third in their pool would have done that (Bowl semifinalists get 5 points)

Yeah, I know ... I am still hoping they can win this one Cooky ... I think they are defending Champions at this tourny aren't they?

Yeah, I know ... I am still hoping they can win this one Cooky ... I think they are defending Champions at this tourny aren't they?

Yep - 40 something against the Aussies in the final

I'm amazed we beat NZ yesterday. I only saw a handful of games, but saw the England squeak past Wales, NZ demolish Wales and then England do OK vs Argentina - I thought we were on for a hiding vs NZ!

Bryan Habana was one the commentators on day 1
judgement of forward pass of referee rhys thomas is a bit below par

Latest posts