TRF_Ezequiel

Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
Currie Cup Logo.png

We are getting ready for round 2 of this years Currie Cup. After last week, which saw Griquas beat the Natal Sharks in Durban, the Cheetahs snatch a tight win in Jo'burg and the 2 big provincial teams, Western Province and Blue Bulls, sharing the points in Cape Town. All in all, the overall point difference between home- and away-teams was 3. This was the closest weekend result-wise in Currie Cup history in over 40 years.

This round will revolve around the Springboks taking off in the Rugby Championship, which means 2 games will be played on Friday. First the Natal Sharks host the Golden Lions in a game where both teams will look for their first win. Later that night, the surprisingly good Griquas team will look to steal another win when they visit the Blue Bulls in Pretoria.

Saturday will have the Cheetahs in Cape Town to take on Western Province, right after the Springboks game finishes. It will be a challenge for the fans to get from their tv to the stadium with less than an hour till kick-off after the Test match ends.

2vk166a.jpg

Round 2 Fixtures

Natal Sharks.png
Versus%20Currie%20Cup.png
Golden Lions.png

Kings Park, Durban (Friday, 17:05 GMT)

Blue Bulls.png
GWK Griquas.png

Loftus Versfeld, Pretoria (Friday, 19:10 GMT)

Western Province.png
Free State Cheetahs.png

Newlands, Cape Town (Saturday, 19:15 GMT)

Line-ups:

Natal Sharks:
15. Odwa Ndungane, 14. SP Marais, 13. Louis Ludik, 12. Heimar Williams, 11. Lwazi Mvovo, 10. Butch James, 9. Charl McLeod, 8. Jacques Botes ©, 7. Jean Deysel, 6. Brynard Stander, 5. Marco Wentzel, 4. Edwin Hewitt, 3. Wiehahn Herbst, 2. Kyle Cooper , 1. Dale Chadwick
Replacements
16. Craig Burden, 17. Rayno Gerber, 18. Peet Marais, 19. Tera Mtembu , 20. Cobus Reinach, 21. Fred Zeilinga, 22. Jaco van Tonder

Golden Lions
15. Chrysander Botha, 14. Deon Helberg, 13. Robert de Bruyn, 12. Dylan des Fountain, 11. Anthony Volmink, 10. Marnitz Boshoff, 9. Guy Cronje, 8. Willie Britz, 7. Warwick Tecklenburg, 6. Derick Minnie ©, 5. Hugo Kloppers, 4. Stephan Greeff, 3. Ruan Dreyer, 2. Martin Bezuidenhout, 1. Jacques van Rooyen

Replacements: 16. Francois du Toit, 17. CJ van der Linde, 18. Lambert Groenewald, 19. Jaco Kriel, 20. Tian Meyer, 21. Elton Jantjies, 22. Lionel Cronje.

Blue Bulls
15. Jürgen Visser, 14. Sampie Mastriet, 13. Ulrich Beyers, 12. Francois Venter, 11. Travis Ismaiel, 10. Tony Jantjies, 9. Rudy Paige, 8. Jono Ross ©, 7. Jacques du Plessis, 6. Wiaan Liebenberg, 5. Grant Hattingh, 4. Paul Willemse, 3. Frik Kirsten, 2. Callie Visagie, 1. Morné Mellett

Replacements: 16. Bongi Mbonambi, 17. Marcell van der Merwe, 18. Wilhelm Steenkamp, 19. Jean Cook, 20. Ruan Snyman, 21. Waylon Murray, 22. Clayton Blommetjies

GWK Griquas
15. Gouws Prinsloo, 14. Nico Scheepers, 13. JP Nel, 12. Howard Mnisi, 11. PJ Vermeulen, 10. Francois Brummer, 9. Jacques Coetzee, 8. Burger Schoeman, 7. Jonathan Adendorff, 6. Carel Greeff, 5. Jaco Negpen, 4. Hilton Lobberts, 3. Lourens Adriaanse, 2. Ryno Barnes ©, 1. Steph Roberts.

Replacements: 16. Matthew Dobson, 17. Nick Schonert, 18. RJ Liebenberg, 19. Leon Karemaker, 20. Marnus Hugo, 21. Du Randt Gerber, 22. Rocco Jansen

Western Province
5. Gio Aplon, 14. Gerhard van den Heever, 13. Pat Howard, 12. Damian de Allende, 11. Cheslin Kolbe, 10. Gary van Aswegen, 9. Louis Schreuder, 8. Nizaam Carr, 7. Rynhardt Elstadt, 6. Deon Fourie ©, 5. De Kock Steenkamp, 4. Michael Rhodes, 3. Brok Harris, 2. Scarra Ntubeni, 1. Steven Kitshoff

Replacements: 16. Tiaan Liebenberg, 17. Pat Cilliers, 18. Gerbrandt Grobler, 19. Rohan Kitshoff, 20. Nic Groom, 21. Kurt Coleman, 22. Ryan Nell

Free State Cheetahs
15. Hennie Daniller, 14. Riaan Smit, 13. Johann Sadie, 12. Robert Ebersohn, 11. Raymond Rhule, 10. Elgar Watts, 9. Sarel Pretorius, 8. Philip van der Walt, 7. Pieter Labuschagne, 6. Johannes Prinsloo ©, 5. Waltie Vermeulen, 4. Lodewyk de Jager, 3. John-Roy Jenkinson, 2. Hercu Liebenberg, 1. Caylib Oosthuizen
Replacements: 16. Ethienne Reynecke, 17. Wian du Preez, 18. Teboho Mohoje, 19. Davon Raubenheimer, 20. Piet van Zyl, 21. Willie du Plessis, 22. Piet Lindeque

The teams looked very evenly matched last week and forces me to reconsider my pre-season expectations...

I'll still go for what I would consider somewhat expected results and go for;
Sharks, Bulls and WP all to win at home but all three by a whisker. Won't be surprised if that doesn't happen though based on last weekend.

This might be the year Griquas make the play-offs. They are very strong, seem to handle to the new scrum rules perfectly and have more work ethic this year to combine with the flashy attack.

I'm going for 3 home wins this time round. Although, my heart is going for a Cheetahs win.

The Bulls will have Handre Pollard at fly half for this week's match.

Funny that, Hein; my heart is going for a Griqua win ;P

The Griquas looked pretty solid as a team, yes. I'm just not certain they have the scope to improve as much as the other teams have. And I'm not just speaking about the Springboks returning even though they'll get Le Roux and Adriaanse back when the Bokke return but how much will that help compared to the others on top of they looked pretty settled already whereas the other teams will eventually gel and just have more firing power?

Funny that, Hein; my heart is going for a Griqua win ;P

The Griquas looked pretty solid as a team, yes. I'm just not certain they have the scope to improve as much as the other teams have. And I'm not just speaking about the Springboks returning even though they'll get Le Roux and Adriaanse back when the Bokke return but how much will that help compared to the others on top of they looked pretty settled already whereas the other teams will eventually gel and just have more firing power?

Adriaanse played last week vs. the Sharks, the Only guy to return is Willie Le Roux.

The Bulls lacked some fire power from the backs vs. the WP and with Pollard and Skosan back in the mix, I think the Bulls will pull through...

This might be the year Griquas make the play-offs. They are very strong, seem to handle to the new scrum rules perfectly and have more work ethic this year to combine with the flashy attack.

I won't get overly exited after the first round - they had longer to prepare, arguably fresher with very little Springbok losses
Wait till the other teams get to gear with the new rules and even later when the Boks return
Griquas has previously been competitive till the last 30% of the year till depth and the returning Boks halter there plans
I see no different this year although I wish that can go bigger

Bulls picked the exact same teams as last week bar Willie Wepener who has been released to the Lions. Callie Visagie takes his place in the starting line up.

Last edited:
GRIQUAS: 15.Gouws Prinsloo, 14.Nico Scheepers, 13.JP Nel, 12.Howard Mnisi, 11.PJ Vermeulen, 10.Francois Brummer, 9.Jacques Coetzee, 8.Burger Schoeman, 7.Jonathan Adendorff, 6.Carel Greeff, 5.Jaco Negpen, 4.Hilton Lobberts, 3.Lourens Adriaanse, 2.Ryno Barnes (captain), 1.Steph Roberts.
Reserves: 16.Matthew Dobson, 17.Nick Schonert, 18.RJ Liebenberg, 19.Leon Karemaker, 20.Marnus Hugo, 21.Du Randt Gerber, 22.Rocco Jansen

Marnus Schoeman and Ligtoring Landman is injured.

farkit, missing two weekends of CC and International rugga, going on annual leave to the South Coast

Blue Bulls
15. Jürgen Visser, 14. Sampie Mastriet, 13. Ulrich Beyers, 12. Francois Venter, 11. Travis Ismaiel, 10. Tony Jantjies, 9. Rudy Paige, 8. Jono Ross ©, 7. Jacques du Plessis, 6. Wiaan Liebenberg, 5. Grant Hattingh, 4. Paul Willemse, 3. Frik Kirsten, 2. Callie Visagie, 1. Morné Mellett

Replacements: 16. Bongi Mbonambi, 17. Marcell van der Merwe, 18. Wilhelm Steenkamp, 19. Jean Cook, 20. Ruan Snyman, 21. Waylon Murray, 22. Clayton Blommetjies

No Handre Pollard and Visagie jumps from the reserves straight to the starting XV with Mbonambi again on the bench. Wepener not in the 22

Blue Bulls

No Handre Pollard and Visagie jumps from the reserves straight to the starting XV with Mbonambi again on the bench. Wepener not in the 22

Handre Pollard will play for the Under-21's this weekend to give him an extra week to recover fully from the injury. Willie Wepener has been released back to the Lions...

Looking at the log and expected outcomes it could get very tight;

If my predictions run true:

1 Bulls 7
2 Cheetahs 6
3 WP 6
4 Sharks 6
5 Griquas 5
6 Lions 2

Natal Sharks:
15. Odwa Ndungane, 14. SP Marais, 13. Louis Ludik, 12. Heimar Williams, 11. Lwazi Mvovo, 10. Butch James, 9. Charl McLeod, 8. Jacques Botes ©, 7. Jean Deysel, 6. Brynard Stander, 5. Marco Wentzel, 4. Edwin Hewitt, 3. Wiehahn Herbst, 2. Kyle Cooper , 1. Dale Chadwick
Replacements
16. Craig Burden, 17. Rayno Gerber, 18. Peet Marais, 19. Tera Mtembu , 20. Cobus Reinach, 21. Fred Zeilinga, 22. Jaco van Tonder

Heimar Williemas is starting!!!!

Western Province – 15 Gio Aplon, 14 Gerhard van den Heever, 13 Pat Howard, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Cheslin Kolbe, 10 Gary van Aswegen, 9 Louis Schreuder, 8 Nizaam Carr, 7 Rynhardt Elstadt, 6 Deon Fourie (c), 5 De Kock Steenkamp, 4. Michael Rhodes, 3 Brok Harris, 2 Scarra Ntubeni, 1 Steven Kitshoff.
Subs: 16 Tiaan Liebenberg, 17 Pat Cilliers, 18 Gerbrandt Grobler, 19 Rohan Kitshoff, 20 Nic Groom, 21 Kurt Coleman, 22 Ryan Nell.

All line-ups announced:

Line-ups:

Natal Sharks:
Replacements

Golden Lions
15. Chrysander Botha, 14. Deon Helberg, 13. Robert de Bruyn, 12. Dylan des Fountain, 11. Anthony Volmink, 10. Marnitz Boshoff, 9. Guy Cronje, 8. Willie Britz, 7. Warwick Tecklenburg, 6. Derick Minnie ©, 5. Hugo Kloppers, 4. Stephan Greeff, 3. Ruan Dreyer, 2. Martin Bezuidenhout, 1. Jacques van Rooyen

Replacements: 16. Francois du Toit, 17. CJ van der Linde, 18. Lambert Groenewald, 19. Jaco Kriel, 20. Tian Meyer, 21. Elton Jantjies, 22. Lionel Cronje.

Blue Bulls

GWK Griquas
15. Gouws Prinsloo, 14. Nico Scheepers, 13. JP Nel, 12. Howard Mnisi, 11. PJ Vermeulen, 10. Francois Brummer, 9. Jacques Coetzee, 8. Burger Schoeman, 7. Jonathan Adendorff, 6. Carel Greeff, 5. Jaco Negpen, 4. Hilton Lobberts, 3. Lourens Adriaanse, 2. Ryno Barnes ©, 1. Steph Roberts.

Replacements: 16. Matthew Dobson, 17. Nick Schonert, 18. RJ Liebenberg, 19. Leon Karemaker, 20. Marnus Hugo, 21. Du Randt Gerber, 22. Rocco Jansen

Western Province
5. Gio Aplon, 14. Gerhard van den Heever, 13. Pat Howard, 12. Damian de Allende, 11. Cheslin Kolbe, 10. Gary van Aswegen, 9. Louis Schreuder, 8. Nizaam Carr, 7. Rynhardt Elstadt, 6. Deon Fourie ©, 5. De Kock Steenkamp, 4. Michael Rhodes, 3. Brok Harris, 2. Scarra Ntubeni, 1. Steven Kitshoff

Replacements: 16. Tiaan Liebenberg, 17. Pat Cilliers, 18. Gerbrandt Grobler, 19. Rohan Kitshoff, 20. Nic Groom, 21. Kurt Coleman, 22. Ryan Nell

Free State Cheetahs
15. Hennie Daniller, 14. Riaan Smit, 13. Johann Sadie, 12. Robert Ebersohn, 11. Raymond Rhule, 10. Elgar Watts, 9. Sarel Pretorius, 8. Philip van der Walt, 7. Pieter Labuschagne, 6. Johannes Prinsloo ©, 5. Waltie Vermeulen, 4. Lodewyk de Jager, 3. John-Roy Jenkinson, 2. Hercu Liebenberg, 1. Caylib Oosthuizen
Replacements: 16. Ethienne Reynecke, 17. Wian du Preez, 18. Teboho Mohoje, 19. Davon Raubenheimer, 20. Piet van Zyl, 21. Willie du Plessis, 22. Piet Lindeque