• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2013 EOYT] England

Charlie Walker and Burrell to get some game time please Mr Lancaster, just drop Ashton and Tomkins if you require any more advice please meet me at my local for some valid selections

Charlie Walker and Burrell to get some game time please Mr Lancaster, just drop Ashton and Tomkins if you require any more advice please meet me at my local for some valid selections

Haha .

I think the centres for the first game against France will be 36 and Burrell by what SL said

Bet Ashton starts....

It wouldn't surprise me.
Even Stuart Barnes has started saying Ashton shouldn't play for England, and he's had a semi on for him for years.

I'm not fussed who starts from the options, as long as it's not Ashton. Two of Nowell/Watson/May to start, the remainder on the bench. They all cover wing/fullback (and May can cover 13) so they're all great options.
Realistically, though, I think Ashton will start, Goode will bench and I'm not sure of the other wing - maybe May? Though I get the impression Lancaster ain't his biggest fan after he was dumped over the summer after his yellow card, so maybe Nowell?

All the papers are going with "Watson looks set to start vs France" the consistency of the wording suggests to me that they've been told off the record that that is the plan.

Doesn't Watson play same wing as Ashton ? If so it means a Watson and Nowell/May wing partnership might happen !!!!

No idea.

Lancaster's perspective might be:

May - Been around the longest = most deserving
Nowell - Most solid defensively, most likely to do well with poor distribution
Watson - Would appease critics of supposed safety-first selection

I don't think Lancaster is worried about appeasing his detractors. For goodness' sake, he picked Brown, Ashton, and Goode for seven games in a row.

The language he used in the press conference, and his demeanour, makes me think he might be leaning towards the youngsters. As slow as Lancaster can be at dropping players, he made it clear that Wade and Yarde would have started in the autumn if fit. With Ashton's form still poor I don't see why he wouldn't try a one-cap combination (May + Watson/Nowell) over a three-cap (Wade and Yarde).

The selection that I most want is Ford on the bench. If he grows into international rugby, he'll soon overtake Farrell. At that point we can really see what the backs can do. Until then, we won't see the best of whatever wingers are chosen.

What I would like is:

9. Youngs (who else) 10. Ford 11.May 12.36 13. Burrell 14.Watson 15. Brown

What I will see is:

9. Youngs 10. Farrell jnr 11. Goode 12.36 13.Barrett 14.Ashton 15 Brown.

I'd go with Wigglesworth/Ford as my half backs...
Wiggy ain't flashy but he's got a very good boot and gets the ball out to his 10 well. You've then got Ford working off of consistent good ball.
I wouldn't want Wigglesworth/Farrell together, though, really, as I think it's too conservative/doesn't pose much threat at all.

Think Dickson is more likely, and not a bad option. Care hasn't been on the greatest form recently, but I hear he was better this round. Youngs I wouldn't want at all.
I think Lancaster will have dickson/youngs as his two first choice 9s, though I don't know which he'll start.

TBH Youngs or care don't work well with Farrell at 10, they like to have a more attacking 10, as it creates hole for them to snipe around, atm no one really marks Farrell. Youngs and care play there best rugby in a faster game. Which England just aren't doing.

Latest posts