• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2013 EOYT] England

Brookes and Knight can't scrum fir s**t. I'd forgotten about the other two, though.
JCW would be worth a saxons spot.

How is Brooke's getting on at Newcastle? He has looked good in some highlights I've seen but that doesn't really give the whole picture.

Newcastle fans?

Yeah, he's basically a more physical version of Henry Thomas,who is more Gethin-Jenkinsy (extra flanker type player)

Has anyone noticed the sudden clamour for Hopper to be selected on the back of that game at HQ?

It's ridiculous, and I'm fairly sure it's all based on Dawson getting a semi about him.
Dawson's calling for him to be called up shows just how little rugby he actually watches, I don't think most Quins fans would think he should be called up!

Has anyone noticed the sudden clamour for Hopper to be selected on the back of that game at HQ?

It's ridiculous, and I'm fairly sure it's all based on Dawson getting a semi about him.
Dawson's calling for him to be called up shows just how little rugby he actually watches, I don't think most Quins fans would think he should be called up!

Nope. It would be like when JTH got called up but worse.

In all fairness, I'm a big fan of Hopper. If he wasn't well into his career I'd definitely be calling for him to get a look in to the Saxons

He's solid enough as a Premiership player but I can imagine him looking like a lost child in an England shirt.

In other news, Delon Armitage has told the rugby paper he should be playing for England. Apparently playing at Toulon is no issue and Steffon is the best 7 in Europe.

Ha.

HA.

I reckon give it a year and Cooper-Woolley will definitely be in the mix, providing he can continue to play well and improve.
I imagine Lancaster is wary that this is JCW's first season of premiership level rugby. Before that he has onyl really played at welsh premiership level and this time last year he was at Cardiff RFC, but out injured for almost the whole time from what I understand.

I literally never watch Henry Thomas play? What are his strengths and weaknesses? Is he as good as his first name suggests?

He is liable to be absolutely destroyed in the scrum, although the games in which he holds his own are happening more frequently.
He's pretty good in the loose, but I've not really ever seen what the big deal is tbh
That said, a lot of people "in the know" (coaches) seem to rate him extremely highly.

Before Olyy starts kicking off, I do agree that he should cope better with a good scrummaging lock behind him.
But that would be mandatory... putting him up against France with Lawes behind him is asking for trouble.

Not that there was any doubt in my mind about it, but that would ensure that Attwood is on the bench.

Last edited:
He is liable to be absolutely destroyed in the scrum, although the games in which he holds his own are happening more frequently.
He's pretty good in the loose, but I've not really ever seen what the big deal is tbh
That said, a lot of people "in the know" (coaches) seem to rate him extremely highly.

Before Olyy starts kicking off, I do agree that he should cope better with a good scrummaging lock behind him.
But that would be mandatory... putting him up against France with Lawes behind him is asking for trouble.

Not that there was any doubt in my mind about it, but that would ensure that Attwood is on the bench.

Launchbery would be behind him. Lawes always plays behind the loose head for the saints even when he plays 4.

Thomas might certainly be destroyed,in the scrum and that scares we a little! Can cole play for 80 minutes very game please

Cole regularly plays 80 for Tigers these days, and while internationals a step up, we won't see him carted off at 50mins like adam jones.

Thomas is a naive scrummager, and struggles massively against props who know all the tricks of the trade. He's also lacking a bit in strength, hence looking better with a big lock behind him - when the refs on his side of the scrum, and Ostrikov or kulemin are behind him he holds his own. I'm not going to bite anyone's head off as I don't think he should be in the England squad (yet?) - I'd rather see Ross Harrison and/or Tommy Taylor in the saxons. I don't like him starting for Sale....
Away from the scrum he's very good - exceptional workrate, good carrying and hands - it's almost like having an extra big carrying number 8.

Cole regularly plays 80 for Tigers these days, and while internationals a step up, we won't see him carted off at 50mins like adam jones.

Thomas is a naive scrummager, and struggles massively against props who know all the tricks of the trade. He's also lacking a bit in strength, hence looking better with a big lock behind him - when the refs on his side of the scrum, and Ostrikov or kulemin are behind him he holds his own. I'm not going to bite anyone's head off as I don't think he should be in the England squad (yet?) - I'd rather see Ross Harrison and/or Tommy Taylor in the saxons. I don't like him starting for Sale....
Away from the scrum he's very good - exceptional workrate, good carrying and hands - it's almost like having an extra big carrying number 8.

Eh? In his last 25 internationals for Wales since 2010, barring injury, Adam Jones has played at least 70 in all of them but 2.

You'd expect him to be when he's about 10kg lighter than most TH's!

That's one of the reasons I'm not sure about him; when he gets strong enough to scrummage well how do we know he's going to retain his mobility/fitness?

Eh? In his last 25 internationals for Wales since 2010, barring injury, Adam Jones has played at least 70 in all of them but 2.

Maybe he shouldn't have, he always looks f**ked after halftime.
Maybe I'm imagining him being hauled off early a lot, but I've definitely seen it on a number of occasions.

He's solid enough as a Premiership player but I can imagine him looking like a lost child in an England shirt.

In other news, Delon Armitage has told the rugby paper he should be playing for England. Apparently playing at Toulon is no issue and Steffon is the best 7 in Europe.

Ha.

HA.

Erm, no he didn't. The papers massively overblew what he said, and he made some fairly reasonable points. Really, if you read what he said he's just a bit more disappointed that his brother's not going to be capped as much as he could.

http://www.espn.co.uk/england/rugby/story/210233.html - That's got the choice quotes but in case you wanted to see:

"I'll never say no to England and I think I'm playing the best rugby of my career over here, but it's disappointing how England look at it," Armitage said.

"Fair play if England want to have their guys in the country, but if you've got guys playing alongside world-class players in France, like Steffon and I do, why wouldn't you want to pick them? I certainly haven't gone backwards. From a development point of view, playing alongside guys week-in, week-out like Ali Williams, Bakkies Botha, Bryan Habana and Jonny Wilkinson - guys who know how to win World Cups - has been hugely beneficial.

"My brother's one of the best No.7's in Europe and has still got a lot to offer England. If he had the chance, I'm sure Mourad would release him. Last year we heard how Toulon players were unfit, how we weren't having enough game time or how the league in France wasn't as good as the Premiership, but then you look at the Heineken Cup final and there were two French teams in it."

Latest posts