• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2013 EOYT] England

Interesting, Lancaster just said Nowell and Watson will be competing with 'Ashton and May for starting spots against France'. Looks like at least one of his first choice wingers for the game is capable.

The way he answered some of the questions in the conference seemed to suggest he is thinking of Burrell and Barritt as his OC's and 36/Eastmond as his IC's.
The squad certainly isn't perfect, but there is no reason that we cannot pick a very strong (if slightly green) 23.

I'm also fairly confident that Wilson is going to be fit in time for the France game.

I am in two minds as to whether see this as a good one - my thinking has been that whilst its great to see these names in the wider squad, surely the EPS is the best indication - injuries notwithstanding - of who Lancaster will prefer to play.

Now, our injuries are obviously extensive which means we SHOULD see quite a few wider squad players playing game-time. But surely the fact that Ashton is still in the EPS indicates that he will be preferred to start - otherwise why would you keep him in the EPS?
Ultimately I guess I'm saying that the EPS is still the indication of who Lancaster prefers, given all choices. Therefore it's gutting to me that Goode and Ashton are still in there.

Pretty sure they don't intend to play Youngs due to his abysmal form.
But they don't want to drop him (which would mean they can't bring him to NZ) and he's not injured.

If that was the case couldn't they not name him in the Six Nations squad, and retain him in the EPS? I think that's what they've done with Burns, but I find it all fairly confusing, so might have got that wrong!

I think if you delve into it, it can be quite a complicated system so for the sake of sanity it's best to just accept it as it is!

Now, our injuries are obviously extensive which means we SHOULD see quite a few wider squad players playing game-time. But surely the fact that Ashton is still in the EPS indicates that he will be preferred to start - otherwise why would you keep him in the EPS?

I think it's down to principle.
He isn't going to completely change the players in any one position.
If Yarde and Wade had played all three games then he may have dropped him now.

May and Nowell with Watson on the bench would be bloody good.

I think for France we'll see:

Marler, Hartley, Cole
Launchbury, Lawes,
Wood, Robshaw, Binny
Dickson, Farrell,
May, 36, Barritt, Ashton,
Brown

Youngs, Mako, Thomas, Attwood, Morgan, Wiggy, Ford, Goode/Eastmond

Well that sort of makes sense as a reaosn for Ashton, but the proof will be in the pudding - the pudding being six nations match day selection!

And as for Goode...by my reckong he's our 8th best full-back?

In no particular order (until Goode)

Brown
Foden
Nowell
Watson
Daly
Tait
Abendanon

I'd put both Arscott brothers ahead of Goode as well, to be honest.
Maybe even the other Tait - he can look very good for Falcons, I imagine he'd look even better at Sarries.

I would literally have every other flanker in the Saxons ahead of Tom Johnson for the main squad. Christ he's useless. Well, no, that's harsh, but he's not an international player.

I also really wish Daly was there.

It's not England's fault Burns has lost the plot.
He's not the first 10 to play in a side going backwards. Facts are that his performances this season aren't worthy of an England spot. It's arguably Lancasters first showing of actually picking on form. If he's in the saxons he still gets time away from Gloucester and a game or two against other A sides, to see whether it's him, or Gloucester, that's the problem.

Myler's are? He's been going well and is an improved man, but I can't say I've looked at him at any point and thought there's an international fly-half. He's a good club player benefitting from playing behind a very dominant pack. I'd rather have kept Burns in the training squad, the only reason not to say this is if it would have interfered with him getting the Saxons games.

Myler's are?
If we're using Farrell as a base point then.....

It's all moot now anyhow, as Myler wasn't included, but he's played far far far better than Burns this season. International quality? Probably not. Better option than current-Burns? Absolutely.

If we're using Farrell as a base point then.....

It's all moot now anyhow, as Myler wasn't included, but he's played far far far better than Burns this season. International quality? Probably not. Better option than current-Burns? Absolutely.

He's in the Six Nations squad.

I'd rather gamble on Burns regaining his form in the England set-up than Myler as one has international quality and the other one doesn't. And I think it's rather moot as I think Ford's for the bench, so we're just talking about who's the third choice man, in which case I'd rather we stuck with our guns and showed faith in the talent and had him around the squad.

I fully understand, he wants to keep burns in the eps bit give him game time in the Saxons.

Then he needs a third choice flyhalf to train with the senior squad who isn't going to play. That's myler. If burns stays training with the eps he wouldn't get game time with the Saxons.

Makes sense to me. Same with Johnson being our 6th choice flanker, rather have better options playing for the Saxons than in a squad sitting behind 4 top quality players.

Not every back up in the squad can be an untested youngster otherwise it's not going to help in training or in the rare situation when everyone is injured........although I'd have Haskell instead of Johnson

Let's just hope that Dan Cole can stay fit for the entire first two matches otherwise Thomas is going to be subjected to rape.

(Wilson being ruled out for the first two games)

Who else do we have at tighthead =/
I'm struggling to think of anyone - there's Fraser Balmain, he's been doing OK (better than Thomas). Other than that I'm struggling to think of any English tightheads getting regular game time, other than Matt Stevens.
The only thing that would save Thomas is if Attwood was also on the bench with him, and they brought him on at the sametime. He looks far better (though still nowhere near int. level) with someone in Attwood's mould than Lawes/Launchbury, in the engine room behind him.

Who else do we have at tighthead =/
I'm struggling to think of anyone - there's Fraser Balmain, he's been doing OK (better than Thomas). Other than that I'm struggling to think of any English tightheads getting regular game time, other than Matt Stevens.
The only thing that would save Thomas is if Attwood was also on the bench with him, and they brought him on at the sametime. He looks far better (though still nowhere near int. level) with someone in Attwood's mould than Lawes/Launchbury, in the engine room behind him.

Will Collier, Kieran Brookes, Shaun Knight (ok, not happily), Jake Cooper-Wolley...

Latest posts