• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2013 ITM Cup] Championship Final: Tasman v Hawke's Bay

ABs2011

First XV
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
Hope the weather holds up for this one. Winds look like they will be pretty strong!

Trafalgar Park, Nelson. kickoff 7.35pm Friday

Tasman Makos:

Tim Perry, Quentin MacDonald, Sila Puafisi, Alex Ainley, Joe Wheeler, Gary Redmond, Shane Christie (c), Liam Squire, Billy Guyton, Marty Banks, Mitchell Scott, Tom Marshall, Kieron Fonotia, Bryce Heem, James Lowe.

Reserves: Francis Smith, Siua Halanukonuka, Tevita Cavubati, Vernon Fredericks, Mark Swanepoel, Andrew Symons, Robbie Malneek.

Hawke's Bay:

Max Lahiff, Ash Dixon, Bredon Edmonds, Michael Allardice, Mark Abbott, Mike Coman (c), Brendon O'Connor, Karl Lowe, Alby Mathewson, Ihaia West, Mikey Vuicakau, Andrew Horrell (although I think he has been ruled out), Richard Buckman, Telusa Veainu, Zac Guildford.

Reserves: Ged Robinson, Adrian Barone, Trent Bosswell-Wakefield, Mark Atkins, Chris Eaton, Adam Bradley, Penikolo Latu.

Referee: Glen Jackson.

Last time out Tasman beat HB 18 to 9 at Trafalgar Park.

I think the weather will tighten this one up a tad, but from what I have watched this year Tasman should beat HB comfortably! Tasman 13+

We have our tickets and we'll be there tonight, rain or shine

We have our tickets and we'll be there tonight, rain or shine

Awesome, enjoy the game. Who you supporting? Who you picking?

Bloody awful weather here in Wellington, with a northerly I imagine that will be pushing the weather your way... Hope it holds up for the game. Tasman is a mean team to watch!! I suspect HB will try and shut it down though (that's the way they played for the most part v Otago last week.

Looking forward to this match.

Tasman will deservedly start as firm favourites, as they have been consistently the best team in the Championship all season.

The front-rows look pretty even, but I do think Hawkes Bay have better front-row replacements (Ged Robinson is a starting Super Rugby player!). Likewise I think the locks are pretty even. Ainley and Wheeler are more experienced (and playing well), but both Allardice and Abbot have had superb debut seasons.

There are some great match-ups in the loose-forwards. Both sides are starting two opensides so the breakdown battle will be intriguing. Squire has been outstanding for Tasman this season - I'm looking forward to seeing him in a Chiefs jersey next year. Hawkes Bay possible have the advantage in impact off the bench again though - Boswell showed his pace against Otago last week, while Atkins is probably unlucky not be starting, as he is a real threat with ball in hand.

Hawkes Bay have the advantage at halfback, with Mathewson in strong form (and a handy backup on the bench in the form of Chris Eaton). Billy Guyton has done well for Tasman at halfback though - especially considering I don't think he has that much experience in the position (he is listed as a midfield back, and played the last few seasons for North Otago at 12). The first-five battle will be intriguing. Both players has had great seasons, with Banks earning a Hurricanes contract ahead of West. They are different types of players - West is electric with ball in hand, but Banks controls the game better, and is the better goal-kicker (which may be crucial if it is a close match).

If Horrell is fit I think the midfield is pretty even. Marshall has been Tasman's best player this season playing at 12, and will be a massive threat with his pace and footwork. Fonotia is a bit limited, but has plenty of size, and runs straight and hard. Horrell will be a key player for Hawkes Bay (if fit) as he has a variety of kicking, running, and passing skills which can bring a different dimension to the Hawkes Bay attack. Buckman has played consistently well at centre too - I'm surprised he hasn't yet been offered a Super Rugby contract this season (his defense has really impressed me).

Both sides have plenty of pace out wide, though it is interesting to see both have opted to play wings at fullback. I thought Guildford looked lost at times for Hawkes Bay last week - he looked to run the ball back far too often and Otago were often able to turn the ball over (which helped keep Otago in the game). He is at his best when running hard onto the ball - when he time to think he seems to make the wrong decision! I'm sure Tasman will look to kick deep and test his decision making...

On paper I think the teams are pretty evenly matched (Hawkes Bay may even have a slight edge..), but Tasman are at home, and have played much better as a team this season. I'm picking them to win by around 10 points.

Last edited:
Some of those HB forwards are a bit beaten up, particularly Coman who went off early in the semi.
I'd give an edge to Tasman in the loose forwards, an edge in the midfield (Horrell is out as I understand it) and I think their outsides are better too. You are right Guildford was rubbish last week!
For me Tasman by a bunch if the weather is OK but it will be closer if the weather packs in and HB can keep it tight.
Should be a good game.

Awesome, enjoy the game. Who you supporting? Who you picking?

Bloody awful weather here in Wellington, with a northerly I imagine that will be pushing the weather your way... Hope it holds up for the game. Tasman is a mean team to watch!! I suspect HB will try and shut it down though (that's the way they played for the most part v Otago last week.

Supporting Tasman and hoping for Premiership rugby next season. Weather has cleared. Sunny skies n 20 deg but windy. We are just finishing beers and about to walk to the park.

Good early try by Guildford - he can be pretty handy when he actually backs himself!

Good early try by Guildford - he can be pretty handy when he actually backs himself!

Yeah but he's going to be icing his hammys with sum beers after getting dusted off by that crazy intercept pass dude.....

he had this look on his face like he had em, then the guy just dusted him.:lol:

That 10 for Tasman had a crazy good ITM cup.

Wahoooo!! Premiership Rugby for the Makos next year!!!

What a game, drama to the final second. I've yelled myself hoarse!!!

2013-10-25%2020.25.08_1.jpg

These two were happy, the President and Vice-President of the Marty Banks Fan Club!!

Overall a very enjoyable match from a neutrals point of view!

Congratulations to Tasman. Hawkes Bay had Tasman under pressure for a lot of the match, but some superb Tasman defense kept them in front. The look on Ihaia West's face when Eaton scored the final try in the corner was priceless - the rest of the side was celebrating, but he was thinking "oh ****, now I have to try and kick this conversion"! Probably the key moment of he game was the Banks intercept try - if he missed that intercept it would have been 5 (or 7) points to Hawkes Bay.....

Yep ... real heart in the mouth stuff for me, but well worth getting up at stupid o'clock on a school night, to watch it here in Canada :D ... should be great to see some of the key players getting a run for the Maori All Blacks, here in a couple of weeks