• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 African Cup (RWCQ) - June 28 to July 6

So it looks like Kenya will go through. Not unhappy about that. If an African side has to get clobbered at the World Cup I'd rather it be one I haven't seen before.

Would it be fair to say that there's more growth potential in Kenyian rugby than Namibian?

More than fair. Kenya and Zim certainly have more growth potential. Namibia just has so many hurdles; small population, vast distances, lack of infrastructre. Zim have teh inside track and history but the political situation is still not quite stable unfortunately.

I was backing Madagascar for this. But now that kenya are leading, and I have done research on them, I am backing them fully. There is so much potential! On a quick look this is what I found.

44 Million people
One of the strongest economies in Africa
Strongest economy in South East and central Africa
One of the most popular sports
The KRU were looking, in 2013, to contract 30 15s players.

All this before a RWC place is gained. Could imagine what could happen, though they will concede a cricket score hammering.

All this before a RWC place is gained. Could imagine what could happen, though they will concede a cricket score hammering.

I hope not! From now on till RWC is that they should get at least a couple of test against tier 2 nations. For sure they don't have even one game against this opposition.
An invitation to any cup in Georgia or Romania next spring would be fantastic. They deserve it!!

Zimbabwe to overtake Kenya in points difference only needs a +6, not +10.

That scenario would require Zimbabwe to get four tries otherwise they must win by 8 (argghhhh all these possibilities with the BP's LOL).

It's weird if your a Namibian supporter you need to win by probably 45+ on Madagascar(with 4 tries) and your ideal situation is a Zimbabwe win by more than 7 without four tries and preferrably as low scoring as possible(perfect is probably 8-0). But that ideal situation would be very close to being a disaster scenario that could see them finish 3rd. If Zimbabwe get a bonus point win and Kenya pick up try or losing bonus points.

Kenya are definately in the drivers seat, they have some room for error even in finishing 1st let alone 2nd.

Ah true always forget that, however winning by 6 would be useless as it gives them Kenya a bonus. I guess I should change my potential scenarios to "win by more than 7"

Zimbabwe #9 burrows over after Zimbabwe get some penalties and territory. Kenya are playing very poorly right now. They need to play sensible rugby as a losing bonus point is probably enough. Yet they are turning down penalty kicks.

18-10 right now as my stream goes down. As things stand Zimbabwe goes through.

20 minutes to go and still 18-10. Kenya are unable to sustain pressure and aren't playing very intelligently. Zimbabwe are very strong at the breakdown and have won a few crucial turnovers.

Guy Cronje scores for Zimbabwe who are now in the box seat to go through. One more try for Zimbabwe means they don't have to nervously watch Namibia vs Madagascar.

I was backing Madagascar for this. But now that kenya are leading, and I have done research on them, I am backing them fully. There is so much potential! On a quick look this is what I found.

44 Million people
One of the strongest economies in Africa
Strongest economy in South East and central Africa
One of the most popular sports
The KRU were looking, in 2013, to contract 30 15s players.

That's really like being the world's tallest midget isn't it..they're up against Ethiopia, Somalia and the Democratic Republic of Congo :lol:.

But I'm certainly hoping Kenya get in. They have a reasonably large population and while I'd hardly say Kenya isn't without some very serious problems, there is still plenty of potential. Their 7's team is also pretty damn likable. To be honest anyone other than Namibia would be refreshing!

That said, I think the IRB should probably exclude Zimbabwe on the same grounds they excluded South Africa..

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-28152477

Last edited:
I would rather not see Zimbabwe at the World Cup for reasons Nick has stated. The current score is 25-10 to Zimbabwe with 3 minutes to go and Kenya have a man in the bin.

Cronje is bizarrely kicking for goal when they could go for a try and seal qualification. The points difference doesn't matter because they only need to win by 8 points.

Seriously these commentators are terrible. They keep saying that Zimbabwe needs to win by 11 points but in fact they only need to win by 8. They are failing to account for the fact that a win for Zimbabwe will simultaneously lower Kenya's points difference as well. You would expect better from commentators.

Fulltime: Zimbabwe 28-10 Kenya by my counting although the score board said 27-10.

As I see it:

If Namibia lose to Madagascar, draw with Madagascar, beat Madagascar scoring less than 4 tries, or score five tries but win by less than 16 points: Zimbabwe is Africa 1 and Kenya is Africa 2.

If Namibia win by 17-52 points while scoring 4 tries then Zimbabwe is Africa 1 and Namibia is Africa 2.

If Namibia score 4 tries and wins by more than 53 points then Namibia is Africa 1 and Zimbabwe is Africa 2.

Last edited:
I'd says it's almost academic anyway, as I really can't see Africa 2 winning the repechage...

Ughh, now I guess I'm hoping for a big Namibia win.

I kinda want someone new as Africa 1, so come on Madagascar!
That said, scheduling gives Namibia a bit of an advantage as they now know exactly what they need to do? Guess it's not too big of a deal

I kinda want someone new as Africa 1, so come on Madagascar!
That said, scheduling gives Namibia a bit of an advantage as they now know exactly what they need to do? Guess it's not too big of a deal

Too late. It's either Zimbabwe or Namibia for Africa 1.

I'd says it's almost academic anyway, as I really can't see Africa 2 winning the repechage...

Ughh, now I guess I'm hoping for a big Namibia win.

Whoever is Africa 2 has to play Russia in Siberia in August so you are probably right.

Latest posts