• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Six Nations Canadian TV coverage(or lack thereof)!!!

LittleGuy

First XV
Country Flag
Canada
Hey guess what guys in a totally amazing and ingenious move the erudite's in Dublin who run this and the amazingly interesting Lions tours( that are beloved by Tier Two fans, I think one Tier Two fan actually did wake up to watch the "Old Boys countries" have a circle jerk together) have decided to sell the North American English language TV rights to an organization called BelnTV.

A channel apparently partly owned by the Qatari state government(isn't it great to see your hard earned cash going to oppress your fellow earthlings in other parts of the globe!!) The problem for Canadian viewers(and to a lesser extent American ones who will face this in localized areas) is that.....THIS CHANNEL DOES NOT EXIST IN CANADA!!! Yep that's right this channel has not been given a license to broadcast within the terrestrial borders of Canada by the CRTC. In fact Sportsnet World weren't even given a chance to bid on the rights as they obviously had no interest in a North American wide broadcast!

Apparently fans of some soccer leagues have been dealing with this for months and so many complaints were filed that Beln TV launched a Canadian online simulcast of their American feed, which has since moved to a subscription service as of tommorow(just in time for the start of the Six Nations!!)

http://canadiansportsfan.wordpress.com/2013/10/06/bein-sport-is-finally-available-in-canada-kind-of/

I couldn't find any info on price on the site and just took a gander to see if these matches were aired live and nope....they are not!

So you can fork out your dollars for tape delayed streams on a just launched internet channel that isn't even licensed here!!! Awesome!! As a bonus it's the only Rugby property they own so forget about any other Rugby games, and who'd want that anyway lets face it when the stream channel contains tons of exciting nil-nil Serie A games!!!

The only way you can catch any kind of Six Nations game in Canada is if you happen to own the TV5 channel(a global French channel) where the France games are shown but forget about seeing any of the other teams this year.

So to sum up this has pretty much killed my interest in watching this tournament this year and I won't be wasting time disscussing it on here(though I will fufill my obligations in the Superbru pool I signed up to and will answer questions in this thread), I'll spend my time watching the European Nations Cup because at least those sides actually treat me like a rugby fan and not a piece of ****. So **** this tournament, **** the BelN network, **** the "old boys" national unions that are in this tournament who don't give a **** about growing the game because they know they'll slide down the IRB rankings if it ever takes off worldwide.

Cheers: Little Guy

Last edited:
Hey guess what guys in a totally amazing and ingenious move the erudite's in Dublin who run this and the amazingly interesting Lions tours( that are beloved by Tier Two fans, I think one Tier Two fan actually did wake up to watch the "Old Boys countries" have a circle jerk together) have decided to sell the North American English language TV rights to an organization called BelnTV.

A channel apparently partly owned by the Qatari state government(isn't it great to see your hard earned cash going to oppress your fellow earthlings in other parts of the globe!!) The problem for Canadian viewers(and to a lesser extent American ones who will face this in localized areas) is that.....THIS CHANNEL DOES NOT EXIST IN CANADA!!! Yep that's right this channel has not been given a license to broadcast within the terrestrial borders of Canada by the CRTC. In fact Sportsnet World weren't even given a chance to bid on the rights as they obviously had no interest in a North American wide broadcast!

Apparently fans of some soccer leagues have been dealing with this for months and so many complaints were filed that Beln TV launched a Canadian online simulcast of their American feed, which has since moved to a subscription service as of tommorow(just in time for the start of the Six Nations!!)

http://canadiansportsfan.wordpress.com/2013/10/06/bein-sport-is-finally-available-in-canada-kind-of/

I couldn't find any info on price on the site and just took a gander to see if these matches were aired live and nope....they are not!

So you can fork out your dollars for tape delayed streams on a just launched internet channel that isn't even licensed here!!! Awesome!! As a bonus it's the only Rugby property they own so forget about any other Rugby games, and who'd want that anyway lets face it when the stream channel contains tons of exciting nil-nil Serie A games!!!

The only way you can catch any kind of Six Nations game in Canada is if you happen to own the TV5 channel(a global French channel) where the France games are shown but forget about seeing any of the other teams this year.

So to sum up this has pretty much killed my interest in watching this tournament this year and I won't be wasting time disscussing it on here(though I will fufill my obligations in the Superbru pool I signed up to and will answer questions in this thread), I'll spend my time watching the European Nations Cup because at least those sides actually treat me like a rugby fan and not a piece of ****. So **** this tournament, **** the BelN network, **** the "old boys" national unions that are in this tournament who don't give a **** about growing the game because they know they'll slide down the IRB rankings if it ever takes off worldwide.

Cheers: Little Guy

... I guess I'll be watching Super Rugby then :)

... I guess I'll be watching Super Rugby then :)

Yep same here, Sportsnet World haven't lost any other rights so far to my knowledge so we can take some consolation out of that. Guess I'll get my head into fiding out more of the lineups there.

Latest posts