• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Six Nations: England vs Ireland (Round 3)

Ye both misinterpreted my words. I'm not saying Schmidt is ruling out Zebo or Gilroy but he has system and roles that these guys are performing. He doesn't think Zebo or Gilroy in my view are 2 who will be disciplined to do these YET (possibly as neither has ever attended a camp with him). It's nothing like saying he wants robots or limited guys. Never said either back play for Leinster wasn't exciting but basically he doesn't want Zebo doing flair etc if he can't do main roles he wants too. Would ye not agree?
And may I add Snoop I never said he had just 1 plan and no plan b but in each plan he has roles. And basically for same way POM has benefitted Zebo hasn't.

He wants to see that he's able to pass the ball (or at least I'd imagine), which is a legitimate concern regards Zebo. Excellent finisher, but quite blinkered. But what you said was Schmidt doesn't like wingers who play off the cuff, which is utterly wrong.

I think Feic is right like if we are honest Kearney isn't an international standard wing and Trimble is a "fill a gap" winger at this level but thing is Schmidt doesn't needs the players at that level but to perform the role of his system which is at this level and maybe this is where issue with Zebo is. Schmidt doesn't see him as disciplined to be in this role. Same for Gilroy. They're guys who like to play off the cuff but Schmidt doesn't want that style. Felix Jones has been reserve back or 24th man for last 2 games. He isn't a winger but fits that same bill of disciplined. Schmidt wants guys for his system rather than adapt system for others

4 caps for Ireland with three good performances, his best against the All Blacks, and an unbelievable cameo against Samoa. He's really shown how he's not international class very well!

He wants to see that he's able to pass the ball (or at least I'd imagine), which is a legitimate concern regards Zebo. Excellent finisher, but quite blinkered. But what you said was Schmidt doesn't like wingers who play off the cuff, which is utterly wrong.

And abandon their primary issues. As I say Schmidt obviously says Zebo has to work on things which is fair enough. Name 1 winger Schmidt has played that has been off cuff by what I mean like a Zebo who at times can be a liability. Schmidt doesn't mind players who play off cuff but not at expense of basic role being jeopardized. At Munster it's a different role. And I'm not saying Zebo should be in squad but people say about his passing yet against Zebre last Saturday he was 4th on most passes for Munster and week before against Cardiff he was 3rd. And that was with 0 interceptions and 150+ metres made 8 defenders beaten so can I ask how is he not passing?
I think people have taken my comment about Schmidt up wrong and as I say it's not a critic of him more it's just stating his system.

@Cmac as far as I know wingers are also judged on strike rate. Kearney is not a poor player but not international class. Tony Buckley played 2 amazing tests against a better All Blacks team and was in great form at that time. Would you consider him a top player or international class?
Kearneys caps have been against a 2nd string Samoa, an All Black team that are good but not as strong as recent times, a Scotland team that are worst they've been in years and a Wales team that haven't been playing well. He's never scored a try in pro rugby against any of big teams in league only an under strength Ospreys. ( he's scored only against Dragons, Connacht, Glasgow, Ospreys, Cardiff Italian teams and Scarlets in his entire career as well as 2nd string Samoa) so for me I still don't have him as international class. Also he only averages as scoring in 2 games a year

Last edited:
Ye both misinterpreted my words. I'm not saying Schmidt is ruling out Zebo or Gilroy but he has system and roles that these guys are performing. He doesn't think Zebo or Gilroy in my view are 2 who will be disciplined to do these YET (possibly as neither has ever attended a camp with him). It's nothing like saying he wants robots or limited guys. Never said either back play for Leinster wasn't exciting but basically he doesn't want Zebo doing flair etc if he can't do main roles he wants too. Would ye not agree?
And may I add Snoop I never said he had just 1 plan and no plan b but in each plan he has roles. And basically for same way POM has benefitted Zebo hasn't.

I don't know why you keep putting Gilroy in the same bracket as Zebo - but regardless, the reason he isn't picking Gilroy is because his form is pretty poor right now.

I don't know why you keep putting Gilroy in the same bracket as Zebo - but regardless, the reason he isn't picking Gilroy is because his form is pretty poor right now.

Because Gilroy is same style in my eyes. Not as flashy agreed but similar style.

Like a genuine question. Schmidt obviously has same stats I produced there on his passing. Only players ahead of him on passing were 9s and 10s. He didn't pass for 2 tries he scored but aren't all top class wingers suppose to be greedy and he didn't butcher them as he got his points. People seem to get caught up in 1 or 2 phases of game but if ye watched entire game it was clear little is wrong with his passing. So for Feic, Cmac, BG8 or Snoop or whoever else can answer?

If it not for stats which I produced on his passing,
Not for lack of match fitness having played games no problem,
Not lack of form as out of every Irish winger he's the 1 scoring mostly (4tries in last 3 Munster games)
And has nothing to do with a system as ye have said is complete BS
His attitude has been amazing last few weeks

I ask 2 simple questions!
1) Is it Kearney, Trimble, McFadden and Felix Jones all better options than Zebo?
2) Or if it's not a system may I ask what ye may think may be the reason?

And abandon their primary issues. As I say Schmidt obviously says Zebo has to work on things which is fair enough. Name 1 winger Schmidt has played that has been off cuff by what I mean like a Zebo who at times can be a liability. Schmidt doesn't mind players who play off cuff but not at expense of basic role being jeopardized. At Munster it's a different role. And I'm not saying Zebo should be in squad but people say about his passing yet against Zebre last Saturday he was 4th on most passes for Munster and week before against Cardiff he was 3rd. And that was with 0 interceptions and 150+ metres made 8 defenders beaten so can I ask how is he not passing?
I think people have taken my comment about Schmidt up wrong and as I say it's not a critic of him more it's just stating his system.

@Cmac as far as I know wingers are also judged on strike rate. Kearney is not a poor player but not international class. Tony Buckley played 2 amazing tests against a better All Blacks team and was in great form at that time. Would you consider him a top player or international class?
Kearneys caps have been against a 2nd string Samoa, an All Black team that are good but not as strong as recent times, a Scotland team that are worst they've been in years and a Wales team that haven't been playing well. He's never scored a try in pro rugby against any of big teams in league only an under strength Ospreys. ( he's scored only against Dragons, Connacht, Glasgow, Ospreys and Scarlets in his entire career as well as 2nd string Samoa) so for me I still don't have him as international class

Isa Nacewa and Luke Fitzgerald spring to mind. And yes, they are relevant because we're examining the coach's attitude towards the wings, so his time at Leinster is worth taking into account. As for other 'off the cuff' wingers Schmidt could play he's got Bowe, Earls and Fitzgerald injured, Craig Gilroy who looks half the player he was this time last season, and two guys in McFadden and Zebo barely back from injury. **** all choice, so I don't think it's fair to say he never picks x kind of player seeing as his hand is largely forced and we have a very small data sample to draw from in any case.

While Zebo's stats against Zebre and Cardiff are impressive, lets bear in mind that that's some truly abject opposition. It's much easier for a speedster to look impressive against a poor side than a more rounded player.

A fair comparison would be the case of Tom Varndell. Varndell absolutely ripped it up at Premiership level, scoring tries for fun. At international level, he wasn't nearly as effective, as tighter defenses meant he couldn't get the space to utilize his incredible pace (also, his hands were muck.) While I do think Zebo is (or at least can be) a better player and is a treat to watch with ball in hand, his game is somewhat similar. He relies on pace first and foremost. His instinct is to try to beat the man first and if that doesn't come off to then pass the ball. I think Schmidt would rather see a little bit more heads up play, which is something he can certainly work on and would make his a very formidable international winger.

Personally I would have had him in the squad as I think he poses a different threat to our other wide men, but I can see the reasoning in picking others ahead of him. Another point is whether he would have suited our game plans against Scotland and Wales better than the three guys who were included. Probably not. But that doesn't mean he's out of the frame by any means. If there's one thing I hope Schmidt can do with the national side it's getting rid of the idea that not including a player means he's dropped. You have a squad, and it's different horses for different courses.

Regards Dave Kearney; when I said I don't think he's a real international winger what I meant was that he'll probably never be the same sort of threat that say Tommy Bowe would pose out wide. I don't think he'll ever be exposed or really look out of his depth because he has a very rounded game, but I don't think he has any truly exceptional qualities to mark him out at this level. It wouldn't ever worry me to see him in the team, but nor is it going to genuinely excite me. I think MM's criticism of his record is a bit unfair, seeing as he's split a lot of his time at full back at club level and you can hardly devalue his appearances in the Irish shirt by saying the opposition is poor and then argue for Zebo based on an excellent game against a terrible Welsh side last year. As to the try scoring argument, Mark Cueto was nowhere near as prolific as Chris Ashton when they were Englands two wingers for the last number of years, but I know who I'd rather have in my side.

Kearneys caps have been against a 2nd string Samoa, an All Black team that are good but not as strong as recent times, a Scotland team that are worst they've been in years and a Wales team that haven't been playing well. He's never scored a try in pro rugby against any of big teams in league only an under strength Ospreys. ( he's scored only against Dragons, Connacht, Glasgow, Ospreys, Cardiff Italian teams and Scarlets in his entire career as well as 2nd string Samoa) so for me I still don't have him as international class. Also he only averages as scoring in 2 games a year

Ah yes, the All Blacks team that went a calendar year unbeaten and had many people asking if they were the best team of all time weren't as good as All Blacks teams in recent history....

Internatiomal class,to me, is a player who isn't out of his depth at international level Kearney is not and is, in fact playing well. Has he scored tries? Yes two against not a great side but still two tries. He assisted his brother for a try against that All Blacks team who aren't great shakes apparently and he has been unbelievable in the air and in defence in the 6 nations, two of the key areas for Ireland this tournament so far. Is he the best we have, no there are more talented, Zebo, Gilroy, McFadden, Fitzgerald, Earls, Bowe but as it stands he's the best performing of the fit wingers and is playing well in international rugby. However long he'll sustain this is a fair question but currently he is an international class player, no doubt about it

Last edited:
Isa Nacewa and Luke Fitzgerald spring to mind. And yes, they are relevant because we're examining the coach's attitude towards the wings, so his time at Leinster is worth taking into account. As for other 'off the cuff' wingers Schmidt could play he's got Bowe, Earls and Fitzgerald injured, Craig Gilroy who looks half the player he was this time last season, and two guys in McFadden and Zebo barely back from injury. **** all choice, so I don't think it's fair to say he never picks x kind of player seeing as his hand is largely forced and we have a very small data sample to draw from in any case.

While Zebo's stats against Zebre and Cardiff are impressive, lets bear in mind that that's some truly abject opposition. It's much easier for a speedster to look impressive against a poor side than a more rounded player.

A fair comparison would be the case of Tom Varndell. Varndell absolutely ripped it up at Premiership level, scoring tries for fun. At international level, he wasn't nearly as effective, as tighter defenses meant he couldn't get the space to utilize his incredible pace (also, his hands were muck.) While I do think Zebo is (or at least can be) a better player and is a treat to watch with ball in hand, his game is somewhat similar. He relies on pace first and foremost. His instinct is to try to beat the man first and if that doesn't come off to then pass the ball. I think Schmidt would rather see a little bit more heads up play, which is something he can certainly work on and would make his a very formidable international winger.

Personally I would have had him in the squad as I think he poses a different threat to our other wide men, but I can see the reasoning in picking others ahead of him. Another point is whether he would have suited our game plans against Scotland and Wales better than the three guys who were included. Probably not. But that doesn't mean he's out of the frame by any means. If there's one thing I hope Schmidt can do with the national side it's getting rid of the idea that not including a player means he's dropped. You have a squad, and it's different horses for different courses.

Regards Dave Kearney; when I said I don't think he's a real international winger what I meant was that he'll probably never be the same sort of threat that say Tommy Bowe would pose out wide. I don't think he'll ever be exposed or really look out of his depth because he has a very rounded game, but I don't think he has any truly exceptional qualities to mark him out at this level. It wouldn't ever worry me to see him in the team, but nor is it going to genuinely excite me. I think MM's criticism of his record is a bit unfair, seeing as he's split a lot of his time at full back at club level and you can hardly devalue his appearances in the Irish shirt by saying the opposition is poor and then argue for Zebo based on an excellent game against a terrible Welsh side last year. As to the try scoring argument, Mark Cueto was nowhere near as prolific as Chris Ashton when they were Englands two wingers for the last number of years, but I know who I'd rather have in my side.

I'll start at the top.
Regards Nacewa and all they were exciting and I'd say Navewa was 1 of best open field runners I've ever seen play the game. But they still did their job in the system (aka Game plan) where I think confusion is here.

Next I agree 100% opposition was poor but that's not Zebos fault all he could do is go out and prove himself against what they had to offer yes. But when a stat of passing 44% of balls he received is shown that hardly is bad for a winger. And fact he made massive yards and beat a lot of guys showed when he ran he did a job. And I think Zebo has shown he's a bit better than Varndell wouldn't you agree as he's produced in HEC and previously for Ireland.

You say he didn't suit game plans but isn't that exact same as I've said only I used system which is another word for game plan. And I agree he wouldn't have suited them better. But how can Zebo know if not once since Schmidt has been in charge has he had Zebo in a camp (even when injured guys were in over Xmas he was excluded)

I said Kearney was a good player but yet to prove he's international class. For a back 3 player to only score in 8/9 games over 4 seasons of rugby and 60+ games is average I'm sure you'd agree. And also many others split time between FB and wing and don't suffer.
Cueto still had good record before his major drought but while I not devaluing the opposition the fact is would anyone say Samoa Wales (on the day or this season) or Scotland were top class.

@Cmac that All Blacks weren't a patch on 2011 team in my eyes. Had a poor Aus team, a SA team that aren't quiet there yet and Argentina as well. No real test and Summer tests weren't bad either. AIs they came through but again like I said earlier I just don't think Kearney is International class yet. Your logic meant Tony Buckley was at time in same way against a fresher All Blacks team as it was Summer and away but how many here would say Buckley was International class?

I'll start at the top.
Regards Nacewa and all they were exciting and I'd say Navewa was 1 of best open field runners I've ever seen play the game. But they still did their job in the system (aka Game plan) where I think confusion is here.

Well yes, an international winger should be strong in all areas of the game. That's not a system, it's just not being a liability. In international rugby (particularly Northern Hemisphere rugby) games are won by and large not by the side that makes the line breaks or good one off moves, but rather by the team that makes the least errors. Hence the selection of the supposed 'safer' player is legitimate, particularly for a new coach.

Next I agree 100% opposition was poor but that's not Zebos fault all he could do is go out and prove himself against what they had to offer yes. But when a stat of passing 44% of balls he received is shown that hardly is bad for a winger. And fact he made massive yards and beat a lot of guys showed when he ran he did a job. And I think Zebo has shown he's a bit better than Varndell wouldn't you agree as he's produced in HEC and previously for Ireland.

Possibly. Although Varndell has 3 tries in his 4 England appearances and an absolute **** tonne for Leicester and Wasps. As I said, I think he his probably a better player, but the point of the comparison wasn't to say 'Zebo isn't as good as Varndell' but rather to highlight the similarities of their situations.

You say he didn't suit game plans but isn't that exact same as I've said only I used system which is another word for game plan. And I agree he wouldn't have suited them better. But how can Zebo know if not once since Schmidt has been in charge has he had Zebo in a camp (even when injured guys were in over Xmas he was excluded)

Nah, there is a significant difference. A game plan is how a team looks to approach an individual game, for example kick high and often against Wales so as to prevent then utilizing their backs. Systems are more permanent things, such as defensive structures, or an offloading ethos; things a team will use repeatedly in pretty much all of their games. I don't know the ins and outs of which camps Zebo was in or why he wasn't, but the way you've portrayed the situation is that Zebo doesn't fit into some regimental organization that Schimdt has put in place, which based on all previous history simply does not add up.

I said Kearney was a good player but yet to prove he's international class. For a back 3 player to only score in 8/9 games over 4 seasons of rugby and 60+ games is average I'm sure you'd agree. And also many others split time between FB and wing and don't suffer.
Cueto still had good record before his major drought but while I not devaluing the opposition the fact is would anyone say Samoa Wales (on the day or this season) or Scotland were top class.

No, but they are the sides that are around our level based on the last two years of international rugby. He acquitted himself well enough against them, and against the All Blacks, whose quality cannot be disputed. If they aren't a good enough barometer then there isn't one. To be honest, I see no reason not to be satisfied with what Dave Kearney has done in a green shirt.

@Cmac that All Blacks weren't a patch on 2011 team in my eyes. Had a poor Aus team, a SA team that aren't quiet there yet and Argentina as well. No real test and Summer tests weren't bad either. AIs they came through but again like I said earlier I just don't think Kearney is International class yet

@Cmac

I don't know what all the fuss is about Zebo being left out. Trimble (who I've been critical of) and D Kearney have played well and McFadden was good against the ABs.

Well yes, an international winger should be strong in all areas of the game. That's not a system, it's just not being a liability. In international rugby (particularly Northern Hemisphere rugby) games are won by and large not by the side that makes the line breaks or good one off moves, but rather by the team that makes the least errors. Hence the selection of the supposed 'safer' player is legitimate, particularly for a new coach.

Possibly. Although Varndell has 3 tries in his 4 England appearances and an absolute **** tonne for Leicester and Wasps. As I said, I think he his probably a better player, but the point of the comparison wasn't to say 'Zebo isn't as good as Varndell' but rather to highlight the similarities of their situations.

Nah, there is a significant difference. A game plan is how a team looks to approach an individual game, for example kick high and often against Wales so as to prevent then utilizing their backs. Systems are more permanent things, such as defensive structures, or an offloading ethos; things a team will use repeatedly in pretty much all of their games. I don't know the ins and outs of which camps Zebo was in or why he wasn't, but the way you've portrayed the situation is that Zebo doesn't fit into some regimental organization that Schimdt has put in place, which based on all previous history simply does not add up.

No, but they are the sides that are around our level based on the last two years of international rugby. He acquitted himself well enough against them, and against the All Blacks, whose quality cannot be disputed. If they aren't a good enough barometer then there isn't one. To be honest, I see no reason not to be satisfied with what Dave Kearney has done in a green shirt.

Well I will say that basically my original point may not have been said clearly but the end of first part is my point.

I still think there's huge difference in Varndell and Zebo cases but that is a debate for another day.

A system here in Munster is game plans and styles I never meant it as Schmidt is static on 1 style or whatever but yes I think Zebo at this time is not what Schmidt wants and doesn't fit his current game plan. If so it's fair and understandable. I'm not saying it's bias or disliking just simply his style is not wanted for these games. As I've portrayed all other options he's proven ie match fitness and to not be in a 34 man squad with 3 wingers out says it in a way.

I've never said Kearney played poorly or was out of his depth just simply in my eyes he's not international class yet and like Zebo and few others he needs to work on aspects like his strike rate. He hasn't been poor and I've applauded him but he hasn't been amazing either just he has done a solid job.

@profitius no one is arguing that and it's not a case of Zebo should be in I agree he should be left out but base it on he doesn't fit gameplan. As I said why else would Felix Jones be ahead. Yes Felix can play 15 but so can D. Kearney Zebo and Henshaw

Last edited:
Look Trimble is clearly the best wing in the country he was born in so he deserves international status.
Unfortunately Northern Ireland doesn't have a team so he is doing you guys a favor and playing for all of Ireland cause he is sooooo good he beat Joe's mind to a pulp with his brilliance during training. Of course he is so good he doesn't wanna hurt peoples brains or take the lime light away from B'OD so he keeps it on the down low. You get me?

@profitius no one is arguing that and it's not a case of Zebo should be in I agree he should be left out but base it on he doesn't fit gameplan. As I said why else would Felix Jones be ahead. Yes Felix can play 15 but so can D. Kearney Zebo and Henshaw

It's so they can have two teams in training. Henshaw will be playing 13 for the other team and D. Kearney playing wing for the first team. Zebo has played fullback before but Jones is still an out and out fullback and while not as talented more similar to the other fullbacks in the competition. It's more useful for Zebo to go away and work on what he was told to work on. It was very unlikely anyone was going to get called in for this squad as Twickenham away is a tough place to get thrown in. Ryan only came in because of Tuohy's injury. There's another break after this game and I'd be pretty expectant that Zebo will be in then and he can "finally" look at him in camp.

Also using strikerates to determine the "class" of a winger is dangerous. Fitzgerald has two tries in 28 tests, yet if he was fit and on form he'd get into most teams.

Frankly I'm really tired of talking about Zebo as the exact same really limited argument is being played out across a number of forums. So can we please talk about something else?

It's so they can have two teams in training. Henshaw will be playing 13 for the other team and D. Kearney playing wing for the first team. Zebo has played fullback before but Jones is still an out and out fullback and while not as talented more similar to the other fullbacks in the competition. It's more useful for Zebo to go away and work on what he was told to work on. It was very unlikely anyone was going to get called in for this squad as Twickenham away is a tough place to get thrown in. Ryan only came in because of Tuohy's injury. There's another break after this game and I'd be pretty expectant that Zebo will be in then and he can "finally" look at him in camp.

Also using strikerates to determine the "class" of a winger is dangerous. Fitzgerald has two tries in 28 tests, yet if he was fit and on form he'd get into most teams.

Frankly I'm really tired of talking about Zebo as the exact same really limited argument is being played out across a number of forums. So can we please talk about something else?
Regards class of winger that your opinion but Luke Fitz is a completely different case as he's never fit consistently but he scores for Leinster. But again I just said Kearney isn't international class yet. And it's not about Zebo just that Schmidt has a style he wants for his game plan and well I glad he wants Jones as a 15 but for all preperations of 1st 2 games. Henshaw was at 15 and Jones was used only as a winger with Cave at 13.

Going back to Cole/ Healy...its mad how Tom Court has become the sole bearer of blame for the 2012 scrum fiasco. I'm hearing people say that Healy has come off the better out of his meetings with Cole. At the risk of reopening old wounds, was not the whole Ireland scrum under pressure before Court came on? From my memory, the scrum was bad before Healy went off, it's just that it was disasterous when he did.

Regardless, I'm worried about the scrum for saturday.

It all hinges on how fit Davey is - it's as simple as that.

Fully fit Moose = Parity/dominance
Unfit Moose = Inconsistency/Thomas coming on early and getting murdered.

I have a feeling we are going to be somewhere in between the two.

Last edited:
Going back to Cole/ Healy...its mad how Tom Court has become the sole bearer of blame for the 2012 scrum fiasco. I'm hearing people say that Healy has come off the better out of his meetings with Cole. At the risk of reopening old wounds, was not the whole Ireland scrum under pressure before Court came on? From my memory, the scrum was bad before Healy went off, it's just that it was disasterous when he did.

Court came on out of position at tight head for the injured Mike Ross bru.

how quickly the tables have turned ! If you could see this comment you've written I'm quoting around 2012 after the "manshaming" episode, you wouldn't believe it.

I don't see us having much of an upper hand at scrum time. Healy is a capable operator, but far from dominant. If he was a good tight head he probably wont go backwards, but scrummaging is never going to be a major strength of his game. Best is a good scrummaging hooker, and appears to be benefiting from the new scrum laws regarding hooking. Mike Ross is something of a worry imo. While experienced, he hasn't been great this season. I doubt he'll go backwards, but a large part of me wants to take a gamble on Martin Moore on the weekend.

In any case, I'm happy enough that Corbisiaro and Cole are out.

Latest posts