• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Super Rugby Semi-final: Crusaders v Sharks

Carter needs to sort out his goal kicking for the final or let slade take over.

This game has been one of the best examples you will ever see of "no plan B". The Sharks depend on total forward domination, and when they don't get it, they have no place else to go.

The final try by Matt Todd, a line-out drive and maul, has to be the final insult, dealing to the Sharks at their own game.

Its been awesome!

This game has been one of the best examples you will ever see of "no plan B". The Sharks depend on total forward domination, and when they don't get it, they have no place else to go.

The final try by Matt Todd, a line-out drive and maul, has to be the final insult, dealing to the Sharks at their own game.

Its been awesome!

Awesome indeed!

I thought the Shawks had looked pretty ordinary in their last few games, but wow! They were pulverized tonight...

hhmmm, I guess this only adds to the whole sentiment (and fact) Saffa clubs haven't been doing well...and plus I hear Dan Carter missed a bunch of kicks ? Was it a carnage or what ???

Wow, didn't expect that result, kinda watching delayed coverage of the game, so the 2nd half should be good?

hhmmm, I guess this only adds to the whole sentiment (and fact) Saffa clubs haven't been doing well...and plus I hear Dan Carter missed a bunch of kicks ? Was it a carnage or what ???

The Sharks were pretty awful, especially taking high balls and their kicking game, so yes it was carnage. The close game they played last week and the travel to NZ did not help the Sharks IMO.

Carter's misses were when the Crusaders were well in front, otherwise Crusaders would have been in the forties.

I remember hearing on this forum 3 or 4 years ago from a saffa about how good this young kid Pat Lambie was(the next DC he was predicting), still haven't seen much from him to suggest he's any good, another awful game tonight

Seriously hoping the Waratahs can overcome this Crusaders juggernaut, but I have my doubts after watching the 'saders treat the Sharks like they were a glorified training run (I tried to tell the South Africans that the mid season upset would mean stuff all against a finals-mode, fully manned 'saders...).

Whilst I yelled my lungs out and I'm still riding a high after the win over the Brumbies, I just don't know if we have anything like the complete game the 'saders have. Our set-piece was awful again, and the Brumbies pinned us in our own half for almost the 25 minutes straight in the second half. On top of that, we gave away a tonne of penalties that Mowen kept kicking for the line, and that's just not going to cut it against a sharp shooter like Carter.

It wasn't a game... It was a shame...

the shark should be happy by losing this game... the saders saved them by losing a 5th final (i think)...

great final, the 2 top teams on the log a d i dnt think these 2 teams have met this year... due to this wonderful s15 system that we all love so much...

Now I'm watching the game on tape delay. I'm surprised by the poor performance of Sharks.

Idd, Saders completely outplayed the Sharks, a well deserved victory

Now I'm watching the game on tape delay. I'm surprised by the poor performance of Sharks.

The Sharks were pretty awful, especially taking high balls and their kicking game, so yes it was carnage. The close game they played last week and the travel to NZ did not help the Sharks IMO.

You can only play as well as your opponents let you play. Yes the Sharks were awful, but some credit for that sure has to go to the Crusaders for the way they systematically shut the Sharks out of every aspect of play, especially the areas where the Sharks are usually so dominant. The Crusaders out-scrummaged, out-mauled and out-ruck them. They were dominant at the breakdown and their line-out operated at least as well as the Sharks'.

As I pointed out earlier, the Sharks rely on dominating the set pieces and the maul, and when that doesn't happen, they have nowhere else to go because they effectively have a kick-oriented back-line. That last Crusaders try from a line-out drive and rolling maul really was a case of rubbing salt into an open wound.

Also, sorry Sharks fans, but squirrel's comment earlier is right on the money; Pat Lambie ain't no Dan Carter, and IMO, based on what I have seen of him so far, there is not much prospect of him ever becoming one. He looks like a Chocolate Soldier to me.

Lambie started his first match since March. One bad game doesn't ruin his entire career. When he was fit and firing, we were winning and scoring tries. I don't think he will be DC, but not many people will.

A few more thoughts:
- It was great to see Owen Franks showing a bit of physicality on defense. It used to be a standout feature of his game, but we haven't seen a lot of this for the last few years.
- The Crusaders loose forwards trio as a whole outstanding. I have to say I was wrong about McCaw at 6 - I felt he had his best game of the season. He was physical on defense, and linked really well with the backs. Todd continued his excellent season, and Read looks to be back to his best which is great news for Crusaders / AB's fans.
- Ellis missed a few tackles but his box-kicking was good, and he controlled the game well - I'm always nervous when he is replaced by Heinz. Heinz has a fast pass, great acceleration and an eye for the gap, but lacks Ellis's tactical awareness and ability to control the game from 9.
- Slade and Carter both played well, though Carter's (continued) goal-kicking woes are a worry.
- Nadolo had a couple of good runs and I'm sure his thundering footsteps directly resulted in several Sharks players dropping high kicks. Fonotia didn't have a great game on the other wing though. He is obviously not a wing, but his he made several handling errors and missed some tackles that I would have expected him to make. I suspect he will start on the wing for the Crusaders again in the final, but the Crusaders need to find themselves a couple more quality wings for next season as Fonotia is a stop-gap measure at best. I thought Dagg had a good game from the back. His positioning was superb (there was a reason kicks kept going down his throat...), he looked safe under the high ball, and even looked dangerous with ball in hand for a change!

- du Toit held up pretty well at scrum-time, but I din't notice him at all around the park
- Lewies is an excellent lineout forward. Alberts is not a lock.
- I thought both Deysel and Coetzee were pretty good - Coetzee's work at the breakdown in particular was a feature.
- Reinach is pretty sharp at 9! I can't see him making the Boks anything soon as it doesn't look like his kicking game is that strong.
- Lambie didn't have a great match with his kicking, though he did get the Sharks backline going on a number of occasions
- Steyn and Joordan didn't really function that well in the midfield.
- Was Pietersen playing?
- Marias is strange for a South African fullback. Usually I assume SA fullbacks will be good under the high ball, have strong positional play, and possess a big punt. Marias doesn't seem to have any of those traits. He looked shaky under the high ball - indeed more than once missed the ball altogether, and didn't seem keen to kick the ball either. He was however incredibly elusive - he was easily the most dangerous Sharks player in my opinion. He is quite an exciting player to watch, but perhaps isn't the best player to have when the pressure goes on....

Huge pity, Sharks were awful unfortunately, in terms of executing their game plan this was a poor performance. That said the Crusaders look very good indeed, and it's doubtful whether the Sharks would have won had they played to their potential anyway. Well done Saders, a deserved final spot.

Sad for SA rugby about the poor year but I will remain hopeful that we can be competitive in Super Rugby (at least for one more season :p).
Excited for the finals, it's hard to argue that the best two teams are playing.

On Pat Lambie, saffers are just kinda desperate for a decent fly-half, even in 2007 it certainly wasn't our strongest position so we tend to look at each new young prospect as the new messiah, 3 years ago Lambie was much touted but you would be hard pressed to find a Saffer outside of a few die-hard Sharks fans that consider him to be a real South African prospect. He would need a couple good seasons in a row to prove himself in the public's eye. To be fair on him though he was injured for the majority of the season. I would almost like to see him miss out on the Springbok squad so he could get some game time in the Currie Cup but that's unlikely due to his versatility.

Huge pity, Sharks were awful unfortunately, in terms of executing their game plan this was a poor performance. That said the Crusaders look very good indeed, and it's doubtful whether the Sharks would have won had they played to their potential anyway. Well done Saders, a deserved final spot.

Sad for SA rugby about the poor year but I will remain hopeful that we can be competitive in Super Rugby (at least for one more season :p).
Excited for the finals, it's hard to argue that the best two teams are playing.

On Pat Lambie, saffers are just kinda desperate for a decent fly-half, even in 2007 it certainly wasn't our strongest position so we tend to look at each new young prospect as the new messiah, 3 years ago Lambie was much touted but you would be hard pressed to find a Saffer outside of a few die-hard Sharks fans that consider him to be a real South African prospect. He would need a couple good seasons in a row to prove himself in the public's eye. To be fair on him though he was injured for the majority of the season. I would almost like to see him miss out on the Springbok squad so he could get some game time in the Currie Cup but that's unlikely due to his versatility.

That young 10 who played in the recent JRWC looks a far more likely prospect than Lambie.

Untill you've proven yourself on the international stage against the best teams as a no.10, only then can you be considered a great first five such as D.C. Lambies very good but he's a good reminder not to jump the gun if someone is performing great in the I.T.M, Currie Cup or Top 14 etc. As we know, its more difficult to shine as a 10 playing the top 3 sides than it is to shine in club Rugby. We know what D.C has done to top teams, I hope Lambie can do the same but so far Ive seen nothing in the R.C from him.

Lambie is a consistently good player and serves South Africa well. He was only just back from injury so it is unfair some of the comments which are being made about him. Danny Cipriani was the heir apparent until he had his horrific injury, then things started going wrong. Personally when players get a serious injury when they are young I think it takes longer for them to bounce back, and they certainly won't do it in the first 2 matches.

On Smartcooky's comment about the newest young flyhalf for South Africa, remember he only came up against Scotland and was was behind a strong pack. Anyone would look good behind that team.

Latest posts