• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 TRC] South Africa v New Zealand in Johannesburg (04/10/2014)

Ah the old Wayne Barnes line eh. Not very original from a Kiwi......been saying that since we'll forever !

That's because he's been costing us matches since forever ;) (I actually thought Barnes had a very good game overall, it was just unfortunate he finished the match with a shockingly poor decision).

Overall I felt South Africa deserved the win. They were dominant in the 1st half, and though the AB's had the better of the 2nd half they were nowhere near clinical enough. I will provide a few more thoughts once I've had some sleep!

Last edited:
Well done South Africa.

South Africa definitely suprised me with the options they were taking in the first half and it certainly paid off. Also incredibly physical play, which was demonstrated by All Blacks dropping left right and center. Don't agree with some of the decisions (although I think Messam is a f*<king idiot to swing his arm like he did, it just plainly wasn't needed..). It's one of those games I actually think we played pretty well, but that first half I feel we were just out muscled and paced a bit.

I want to criticize a lot of All Blacks, but other than Messam in that last bit I think we actually played pretty well. Even players who haven't stood up recently made a good impact such as Luatua. For me I'd still like to see Dagg replaced as even though he wasn't particularly bad, he still put the All Blacks under a bit of pressure with horizontal running and slow messy passes to the right, which stuck players behind the advantage line (although he didn't make the errors he has in past games and actually made it past the advantage line which is nice). Can't overly complain, win some and lose some. Tough pill to swollow but well done to the Boks.

Poor again by the AB's. Taking a quick tap an knocking it on? Seriously. South Africa's defense is good but we don't seem to have any patience at all on attack.

EDIT: About time. Great break by Conrad Smith.

I think this is deliberate. I think that's a thought going on in Hansen's head that, if he has the fittest team in the world, the best way to capitalise on that is to force the pace of the game as high as possible. Tire the other team out and sooner or later, gaps will appear, mistakes will happen. Patient attacks give other sides a chance to get their breath back. Attack like mad. Either you break through and score, or you tire them out some more and you'll get the ball back soon enough.

It's worked very well up until now. I think people are cottoning on though and will be catching up soon.

Congrats to the boks. I still think the all blacks are a better side but the boks have definitely improved. Did Richie make the right decisions by foregoing easy penalties. So much for the boks having superior fitness levels . One can only imagine how tired they would have been if they hadn't been allowed to slow the ball at ruck time. Credit to the boks they were more composed in attack than the AB's and they defend much better. The likes of Nonu would have made a difference. Beau den Barrett still has a lot to learn. He is too passive for my liking. He is far more talented than pollard yet he holds back '

On the video ref ruling; how far back can the ref go? If, for example, we got got an intercept try on one of the 7 or so following phases, would they have then gone back to disallow the try because of the 'high shot'? I don't get how it works and how far back you can go. Smartcooky?

Also, I know some NH rate Barnes as a good ref, but if he never reffed another ABs test I'd be very happy.

Last edited:
Great game, well done Boks. That last penalty definitely should have gone the All Blacks way, however ;)

I assume it's the way the rules are officiated in the NH and not a sign that Barnes is a poor ref, but Barnes had no issue with players supporting themselves with their hands at the ruck, making it a lot easier for players to for turnovers. They've been a lot stricter in Super Rugby, I hope it's something they sort out before the World Cup.

On the video ref ruling; how far back can the ref go? If, for example, we got got an intercept try on one of the 7 or so following phases, would they have then gone back to disallow the try because of the 'high shot'? I don't get how it works and how far back you can go. Smartcooky?

I think you can go back as far as need be for foul play.

That can't be right surely?

Yes it is.

The reality is that the TMO will inform about foul play once he has seen and had time to report it, however, there is no limit on the number of tackles/rucks that take place between the foul play and the referee acting on it.

As for the match itself, while I can't say I'm ever happy when the All Blacks lose, this one doesn't bother me all that much.

South Africa had everything stacked in their favour; second week at home while the ABs had to travel from Argentina, home advantage, Ellis Park and the altitude, and a referee who didn't seem to care that players (from both sides mind) were supporting themselves with their hands on the ground, and in the end, the only difference between the two teams was... one conversion!

Bring on 2015!

Last edited:
Great game, well done Boks. That last penalty definitely should have gone the All Blacks way, however ;)

I assume it's the way the rules are officiated in the NH and not a sign that Barnes is a poor ref, but Barnes had no issue with players supporting themselves with their hands at the ruck, making it a lot easier for players to for turnovers. They've been a lot stricter in Super Rugby, I hope it's something they sort out before the World Cup.

Not necessarily something that all NH refs are strict on, but Barnes in particular is awful at picking up on it. In particular I remember him just clearly ignoring that rule all together in the Ireland - Wales game in the 6N. One that sticks in my mind is an Irish defender winning a crucial penalty on his own line despite clearly not supporting his weight whatsoever. Infuriating being on the receiving end of it...

I've just seen the Lambie kick, jesus christ that is one hell of a kick ! Feel sorry for the Wallabies and whatever sucker they play first in the Autumn!!

Just watched the replay of that last play - blatantly should have been a penalty against Burger. Goes in from the side and stops Luatua cleaning out which allowed the turnover penalty to happen... Two tough calls to swallow in the last 2 minutes.

Good to know AB supporters can be sour grapes when they (very rarely) lose as well :p. Bismark got a yellow last year which lead to a read from a similar elbow.
Ecstatic about the win, will post more when I'm sober.

In no way do I believe that the AB's aren't still the best side in the world but it seems like forever since we've actually beaten won a test against them. Happy to see improvement.

Latest posts